Gibson Brands Forums

Some Photos of my 64 Gibson B25-12N Twelver

BluesKing777

I have been living at high altitude too long. There is 14% less oxygen here! and sometimes my brain misfires. But, it is saying that the body of that guitar looks way too small for that size neck and 12 strings. How does it play and sound? Looks nice, but like I say, makes my brain misfire. [crying] How many of these have simply "folded up" over the years? I am not a vintage guy, I am afraid this thing would blow up on me. [scared] But all is good? Looks good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Ahhh, funny guys,

There is no bridge plate anymore - it fell off on Fedex Flight 777 from Memphis to Australia.

The top has all weird shapes like its cousins and kin Gibson twelves....sunken here, raised and swollen there, and generally everyone has had a shot at it.

My guitar man had an inspection and did a number of things, but he said it played and sounded great and the sunken bits had been like it for 40 years, so just play it and see what happens....still going well after a few years.

So you want me to tune it and play it? See you next year.

BluesKing777.

Well, the jollity at the party next door ended suddenly with car horns and a few screams, and fooof, they are all gone Maxwell Edison!

So into my little music room I have been to give a demo of the twelfer pictured above.

I came up with a version of Arlo Guthrie's Woodstock classic "Coming In To Los Angeles", though my version is more like Arlo had been staying with the Dead and the Starship for a week or two....with a few mumbled lyrics just like the in the day......

https://soundcloud.com/bluesking777/losangeles777a

BluesKing777.

Note for the Customs...I too have a Labrador sniffer dog and he can show your little lab a trick of his own, let me tell you!

Ha -- Good one. That Arlo tune fell off of my radar recently. Always a fun one to get into, given the right crowd ; ) .

Thanks 62...

I only just put the track there and went to check it worked and you have already listened!

Ha Ha! The Right crowd...you mean the ones that the bar owner didn't like because they only bought one drink between 5 of them?

BluesKing777.

Hah! Lots of fun: Pete Seeger meets Roger McGuinn, and gets Eight Miles High.....

In a bit of irony, I'm on a flight to LA in a couple of hours. But I'm NOT (repeat NOT) bringin' in a couple of keys. Who carries coals to Newcastle?

Hah! Lots of fun: Pete Seeger meets Roger McGuinn, and gets Eight Miles High.....

In a bit of irony, I'm on a flight to LA in a couple of hours. But I'm NOT (repeat NOT) bringin' in a couple of keys. Who carries coals to Newcastle?

Thanks Nick.

Uuummm, would that be what is called a 'keyless entry'?

BluesKing777.

Uuummm, would that be what is called a 'keyless entry'?

BluesKing777.

Why, yes. I suppose it would.

Great lyrical imagery in that song. Stoned out of your mind in the terminal, chaos in the air. We did have a bit of fun back in the day, but I don't really miss it.

It's interesting that when they filled in the adjustable saddle slot on your bridge, they also changed the angle of the saddle, which has quite an impact on the intonation. Of course, with a 12-string, you probably wouldn't even notice intonation.

I do not think I have taken that many pics of my kids.

Loved the sound byte - fin, fun, fun. But I have always loved and still love Arlo.

There is absolutely nothing out there that sounds like a 1960s Gibson 12 string. They do not have that jangly sound characteristic of most others. They kinda sound like whatever kind of six string they are based on with a chorus pedal. I play a very early 1963 B45-12 which still retains the trapeze tailpiece and it is always in the back of mind to convert it to a fixed bridge. Then again, I am thinking one of the reasons it has survived is that tailpiece.

How many of these have simply "folded up" over the years? I am not a vintage guy, I am afraid this thing would blow up on me. [scared] But all is good? Looks good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

You have a better chance of finding a Banner J-45 or LG-2 in really good playing condition than a 1961-1964 Gibson 12 string. It took Gibson a few years to take a page from the Harmony playbook and put a warning in their literature about tuning down.

Thanks for those replies. Much appreciated!

I must admit that I don't really understand why Arlo can't take his keys into LA - we hand them our keys at the airport security here, but you get them back after the X-Ray machine.

But there you go...doing someone else's song always contain an element of acting...hmmm.

BluesKing777.

Archived