Gibson Brands Forums

Some Photos of my 64 Gibson B25-12N Twelver

BluesKing777

It's interesting that when they filled in the adjustable saddle slot on your bridge, they also changed the angle of the saddle, which has quite an impact on the intonation. Of course, with a 12-string, you probably wouldn't even notice intonation.

Well spotted, Nick!

When I bought the guitar, from somewhere in Alabama I believe, it had the original adjustable bridge but it was pretty kaput. I still have it for historical reference. The guitar tech said: 'The only trouble with adjustable bridges is that people adjust them!' Yep.

It was the classic out-of-tune 12 string, and when he measured up, the saddle out of alignment was the main problem. I was getting a Fishman U/S pickup as well, so he routed it where the adjustable bit was, made the insert with bone saddle in the correct angle and made the insert a touch higher, and a tight fit, so that under tension the strings would not pull the insert over. I think the pins were original and show the guitar wasn't played huge amount and certainly had never had the strings changed regularly.

After the work, the guitar is in tune and easy to tune! The only 12 string in the world like it! In my hurry to get the song idea recorded, I didn't tune. That's how it was out of the case, a couple of run throughs of that tune and a couple of others, then......"Action" Take One etc...............

The guitar is better with thumb and fingerpick, to get both bass strings happening at once, but then it very, very loud and gives me a bit of headache.

Very happy with it, but it is not for everybody. I just love the warm Gibson sound underlying the twang.

Twelve-01i_zpsf813b06e.jpg

BluesKing777.

Note for new B25-12N owners - never ever tune to Standard - one tone down is our lot forever!

Okay, I am no expert, but do all makes of 12 strings have this same sort of break-angle difference between the high an low octaves? I am not obsessive about break-angle anymore, having seen this. I thought my 4 ribbon J-200 was on the border of low angle, but not now.

Okay, I am no expert, but do all makes of 12 strings have this same sort of break-angle difference between the high an low octaves? I am not obsessive about break-angle anymore, having seen this. I thought my 4 ribbon J-200 was on the border of low angle, but not now.

Guitar makers have agonised over this very question!

If you look at a new Taylor 12, it is very similar to mine.I thought they might have some super modern solution, but nup, the same. Guilds look the same as far as I can tell.

We probably need a close up shot of one like Zombie's B45/12 which has a trapeze bridge, and how that effects things. Gibson went hot and cold on trapezes.....

BluesKing777.

I have seen 12 string guitars where both strings share the same pin hole.

I have had the whole sharper break angle of the primary strings and more shallow break angle of the octave strings explained to me by a sound engineer but a combination of a lousy memory and never really understanding what the heck he was saying to begin with precludes me from enlightening anybody. Upshot was it does not really matter.

Then again, I keep thinking about something Leo Kottke once said - that 12 string guitar players spend half their time tuning and the other half playing out of tune.

Archived