Gibson Brands Forums

Here's another one

aliasphobias

Point out the peculiarities.

I see the bridge is maybe not right , what else ? For all us novices in here , teach us.

OK, here goes.

non-original for sure: bridge, pickguard

Odd: FON (?) stamped on neck heel. That may or may not be an FON, but if it is, it should also be stamped on the neck block. Never seen it stamped on the heel. But, it may be some other number added after construction, which may be the reason Gibson dated it to 1962.

Now to confuse matters: 1946 logo, with what looks like a suitable amount of wear on the face of the headstock. 19-fret board, which says prior to mid-1950's on this model (I think). Lots of lower-end Gibsons from 1946 did not have an FON, so the number on the neck heel could be something else entirely.

Burst: maybe original, maybe not. Lot of reflections on it when you blow it up, and it's not real good, but I've seen plenty of original ones that were worse. People tend to think of the Gibson burst in terms of the modern subtle fade, but lots of vintage bursts had pretty hard transitions. Look at some of the guitars in Tom Barnwell's collection for comparison.

The whole guitar has a bit of a re-finished look, but you'd need to see it in the flesh to know. I note that it has a back centerline cleat, which may suggest LG 2 rather than LG 1, but others who have had both guitars may correct this.

I cant ask the seller if this is X braced.. all Lg1 and 0s were ladder braced. they never had a back center strip.. by the looks of the binding on the back.. I bet the back was removed as well..

good one to learn from...

Bridge does not look Gibson-like in design - although there were some horrendous late 60s / early 70s bridge designs not a million miles away. It'd be interesting to see what state the top is in underneath. The rosette is too close to the edge of the soundhole, which suggests the soundhole has been enlarged, or even that the top has been replaced entirely - hard to know which without measurements. The guitar has a back strip, which was used on the LG2 but not the LG1 - although this could have been added.

The LG1 was an entirely different guitar in the early 40s, with an X braced Mahogany top - I believe a couple of regulars own examples of the early version - but I don't know if there was a crossover of old script logo LG1s that had ladder braced Spruce tops. No indication of how this top is braced. Is that a Maple neck I see? That would potentially tie up with a war era guitar. I've never seen a serial number stamped into the heel like that. The headstock looks oversprayed and the whole guitar refinished, and the pickguard is not original.

The most obvoius is the serial number location.. on the heel? never seen that done before, Logo should be print, Color is wrong, pickguard , bridge , tuners are wrong.. who know what what done on the inside..

C'mon, give the seller some credit. The single line enclosed Kluson (in this case at least Kluson-like) strip tuners are correct for that guitar. They may be the only thing kosher about it.

The case ain't even original to an early 1960s Gibson.

C'mon, give the seller some credit. The single line enclosed Kluson (in this case at least Kluson-like) strip tuners are correct for that guitar. They may be the only thing kosher about it.

I got those single lines on a stella if that helps... [flapper]

Didn't even mention that one, but of course your are right. Not many LG 1's even came with a hard case, much less one that is pretty clearly modern and probably Asian.

I would like to look at the guitar. I love a good mystery.

Didn't even mention that one, but of course your are right. Not many LG 1's even came with a hard case, much less one that is pretty clearly modern and probably Asian.

Have you seen what those 1940s and 1950s brown Lifton cases that fit an LG go for? Hard as heck to find and when you do stumble across one be prepared to dig pretty deep into your wallet.

Did you notice though the seller of the guitar is a pawn shop?

I always wonder if folks really don't know (which is hard to believe with the amount of info available) or are they figuring they can come back at the seller with a "not as described" complaint and possibly get a good chunk of what they lay out for the guitar back. That though would not make a lot of sense as I am assuming both this one and that cherry burst J-35 have very little value. I don't see how you would come out a head.

Archived