Gibson Brands Forums

I need some help confirming this guitar

I am trying to put some pics up on here and have followed the instructions as far as I can, but this is all i am getting when I past the url from the photos in photobucket. I could do with some advice, am I doing something wrong or can you all see this pic - it is of a receipt for our guitar. Thanks. Alison

receipt.jpg

Ok guys, so it was me being thick. I have been told you can see the pic. I will post some more pics of the guitar in question. it was bought in 1993 as you can see by the receipt. I cost 4,180 Francs in 1993 which was about £420 sterling in those days as far as hubby is aware.

Apart from that we have no other history of the guitar, it has been sat in the loft for a good many years, it is in the original Epiphone case, a couple of slight knocks on the case but other wise perfect.

Hubby is trying to sell it now, unable to come on here himself as he is in an area without internet. I know you can't give us a valuation but any info you can give would be great, and any pointers you can give as to where we can get a valuation / sale would be fantastic too. Please. Thanks a lot guys. Photos to follow. If you need any clearer photos please let me know what you need and I will oblige.

headstockfront.jpg

Headstockback.jpg

Body.jpg

Fullfront.jpg

Your guitar was made in Asia, and is not a Gibson instrument. Original Gibson-made Sheratons were made from the late 1950's to about 1970.

I would recommend that you post your photos and questions here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/90-epiphone-electrics/

Unfortunately, the Asian-made Sheratons are very common, and have not appreciated in value significantly (if at all). They turn up frequently on Craigslist and ebay, so you can probably get an idea of what they sell for quite easily by visiting those websites.

Your guitar was made in Asia, and is not a Gibson instrument. Original Gibson-made Sheratons were made from the late 1950's to about 1970.

I would recommend that you post your photos and questions here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/forum/90-epiphone-electrics/

Unfortunately, the Asian-made Sheratons are very common, and have not appreciated in value significantly (if at all). They turn up frequently on Craigslist and ebay, so you can probably get an idea of what they sell for quite easily by visiting those websites.

...why would it have Gibson on it if not?

I've always assumed it was about corporate licensing, and the connection to the original Gibson-made Sheratons. Having "Gibson" on the truss rod cover (many Korean-made Epiphones apparently do) adds a little "status" to the instrument, for the cost of a small piece of plastic. Some asian Sheratons even had "By Gibson" inlaid into the headstock under the "Epiphone" logo. I have no idea how any of this actually works in terms of the legal and business agreements that may exist between Gibson and companies like Samick (Korea) and Matsumoku (Japan), who have been mass-producing their versions of the "Sheraton" over the past few decades.

Gibson never made any "Sheraton" models....only Epiphone made them....

You're wrong. Gibson bought out Epiphone in 1957. The original Sheratons of the 50's and 60's were made at the Gibson plant in Kalamazoo. Gibson's supply of Epiphone parts ran out around 1961, so Gibson was using all their own parts for nearly ten years on their Epiphone line. Anything else I can educate you about, feel free to ask, smart guy.

And why "unfortunately" [thumbdn]

I said "unfortunately", because the fact that the OP's Sheraton is so common will make it less valuable. Simple supply and demand. She is interested in learning about her guitar and its value. I'm not trying to be mean here, I'm just presenting some honest facts.

Archived