Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on aging....

Madguitarist78

I have to agree with BlackHawk there is a saddened feeling I get when I see an old guitar that is pristine,though I would love to find a 1952 goldtop that is mint,if it were in a pretty good shape it would not persuade me to not want to buy it either way.

I can't help to relate this to the old/muscle car addage as well,what's the point if you're not willing to burn some rubber?

I don't mind a few bumps and scratches, but I like a guitar that looks like it has been cared for. This whole "relic" process doesn't do anything for me. I bought my LP and my Hofner used. Both are from 2005 and both were gigged...and show it. Neither have been beat on though. They show "honest" wear if that's a term.

I agree with rooster a little bit... I like the aging process as long as there are no major dents scratches, burns etc, etc. When I saw a Bill Nash Les Paul I almost cried with cigarette burns and key dings and scratches... I I like some finish depletion round the edges from being dropped banged etc, etc.

By "aged" do you mean an old guitar or do you mean a new guitar that has been artificially made to appear as though it has been played for years and broken in? Those are lame. Buy it and play it for years to break it in yourself. I have nothing against old guitars. I'd buy a beat up guitar if I liked it's sound. But brand new guitars artificially aged to make me cool for playing them? Pshaw! The nicks in my guitars have a story behind them. I'd feel like a cheeseball playing some artificially worn instrument.

By "aged" do you mean an old guitar or do you mean a new guitar that has been artificially made to appear as though it has been played for years and broken in? Those are lame. Buy it and play it for years to break it in yourself. I have nothing against old guitars. I'd buy a beat up guitar if I liked it's sound. But brand new guitars artificially aged to make me cool for playing them? Pshaw! The nicks in my guitars have a story behind them. I'd feel like a cheeseball playing some artificially worn instrument.

I feel the same way, artifically aged guitars aren't imho a thing that goes hand in hand like a friggin pair of jeans......feel,sound and tone are what I consider to be most important with a guitar.....sure it would be nice to break it in, and if the finish is of a respectable nature (ie minor chips dings/scratches)it's all good.Half the fun of playing is getting in the "groove" and having the wear happen naturally.....until that high hat comes tumbling down on top of an axe sitting innocently in it's stand chipping the chit out of the cut-away during practice.....from all of us being rambunctious and acting like aholes by flipping beer bottle caps,throwing drumsticks and acting like animals and such

My response given at another place:

I'm not into buying guitars that were aged at the factory either, but I also think that they're no different than any other stage gear - like wearing stage clothes, having a banner backdrop, stage lights, fog machines or whatever else a performing band might use. After all, every gigging musician, whether you do anything special for your show or not, is giving a visual as well as musical performance. So, in that regard, I think they have their place.

My #1 for many years has been a '70 Les Paul Deluxe that has wear all over the back of the neck and body, and the gold on the top has some chips in it too. Just more proof that it's a killer player.

"Aged" guitars, on the other hand, are pretending to be something they are not. Just because it is possible to cosmetically alter a Les Paul so it looks like mine doesn't guarantee it will be anything other than a mediocre player.

My other guitars and basses earn their wear by gigging. No "factory-new torn Levis", thank you very much. Let the kids play that game.

Ain't got much choice. I've had mine since 1980. Can't afford another. If I could it's probably be used. Mine's gone through alot. I sweat so much the finish has turned white while on stage. I've salt damaged a pick-up to the poiint of replacement. I think new is pretty but patina shows style. Mine, if nothing else, has style.

Mojo?? That's horse piss. There was a big thread about mojo in the acoustic forum. Total BS, "mojo" is. If you feel a beat up guitar looks cool, ok -- but NO guitar has "mojo." Neither does any crucifix, bean, tree, or place. And no guitar will make you a better player.

Archived