Gibson Brands Forums

DR Rares???

duluthdan

Sorry to bring up a string topic, but on a recent trip I bought and installed some DR Rares on my SJ, and like them. 12s. I have another set, kind of a bluegrass gauge, 12 and 16 trebles, going up to 56 on the low E. I've tried Martin SPs 12&13' Curt Mangans, Sunbeams, John Pearce, and the SJ just wasn't ringing enough. These Rares are good, very good to my ears. Are they 80/20? PBS? Next to try the BG set tuned down to see if they will be as pleasant. My SJ has forward shifted bracing, which really seems to demand a big low end, and the wider (mass) neck. For awhile it seemed like a slightly quieter version of the HD28 I recently sold. The guitar seemed to lack personality, but with these Rares it's making itself known. Oh, and it has an Adi top, maybe it's just now loosening up, been a year +, about time.

Stings are funny methinks...on my SJ I liked the Sunbeams better than the Rares (and better than any of the other 6-8 strings I tried). Interestingly, I absolutely couldn't tolerate EJ16's on my SJ but LOVE them on my maple LG2. I'll have to remember to revisit the Rares and try them on my LG2.

Archived