Gibson Brands Forums

just when you think you're getting the hang of guitar.

blindboygrunt

I don't know with this guy, but I generally find the 'tappers' next song in the list is the same....and that leaves nowhere to go variety wise.

I sat through a tapper with a looper while waiting for the main attraction one night, and the first song sounded good with 1,2,3,4 drums start, 1234 bass starts, 1234 guitar backing starts, 1234 vocals, etc..etc....all with similar tapping things to the one above and it was great, but every song after that was the same format and it got real tiring really quick.

That is just me though - everyone else there thought it was the best thing they had ever heard.

BluesKing777.

I cant stand tappers myself BK. When I posted the link it just so happened that he taps on the first song. I feel the tapping is used here to create a terrific mood , not just 'look what I can do' although theres an element of that in all of us :)

I wouldn't take free tickets for a t Emmanuel gig. Just thought this video was a great performance .

Not arguing sport. Like I said , we all like different tea .

I don't know with this guy, but I generally find the 'tappers' next song in the list is the same....and that leaves nowhere to go variety wise.

I sat through a tapper with a looper while waiting for the main attraction one night, and the first song sounded good with 1,2,3,4 drums start, 1234 bass starts, 1234 guitar backing starts, 1234 vocals, etc..etc....all with similar tapping things to the one above and it was great, but every song after that was the same format and it got real tiring really quick.

That is just me though - everyone else there thought it was the best thing they had ever heard.

BluesKing777.

I know what you mean, when using a looper (and I do sometimes), I found the best approach was to leave 1-2 songs where you build the parts to demonstrate it and get the appreciation from those who haven't seen it before... for the rest if you have to use it be prepared, ie. pre-recorded base loops and just perform your bits on top. I used it more before we had a cajon player, now I use it 2-3 songs max.

I cant stand tappers myself BK. When I posted the link it just so happened that he taps on the first song. I feel the tapping is used here to create a terrific mood , not just 'look what I can do' although theres an element of that in all of us :)

I wouldn't take free tickets for a t Emmanuel gig. Just thought this video was a great performance .

Not arguing sport. Like I said , we all like different tea .

I probably would take Tommy E tickets for free, there's no doubting the lad can play well, but the choice of tunes doesn't always inspire me if I'm honest so I'd agree with where you're coming from. Like BK said, the tappers does tend to ring of 'much of a muchness' after a few similar tunes, just as Tommy E's acrobatics tend to lose the wow factor after seeing the same tricks several songs in a row. I think it's a thing with some artists, they're great for a couple of songs but a full gig would be a chore....

The Ben Howard gig video was quite enjoyable actually, I even liked the first tappy-tap-tap song too. The boy I play in a band with is a bit of a Ben Howard fan.

Archived