Gibson Brands Forums

pedals for my Les Paul rig

jonberry

Hi all,

I suspect this may be a well-worn topic but I'll give it a go.

I use a 2013 LP Standard Gold Top and also a Traditional pro II, through a Laney VC15. It sounds great through both channels, but I'd like to add a range of sounds (compressor, delay, wah and possibly fuzz/muff) without losing the original warm, valvey signal too much. I know lots of pedals claim to be 'true bypass' these days, but can anyone recommend anything in particular?

I'd also like a loop in there soemwhere, and don't have a preference between individual stomps and a a multi f/x - as long as it sounds good!

suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Jon

I have pretty good experiences with my route 66 compressor and my Line 6 Echo Park and DL4 delay pedals.

I don't have a fuzz/muff but I do have a radial tone bone that I like to stick in front of my amps.

The Line 6 allows me to run out to two tube amps, and for me, in a three piece band, being able to go stereo is the bomb!

I play an LP through a Laney (studio through a Cub12R) and while I don't have many effects, I do have a TC Spark Boost and LOVE it.

It works well as a straight clean boost, or I can dial it up to push the amp for further crunch.

NHTom

PS......how do you like the VC15? Been eyeing those myself.

That's been a great help, thank you. I've bought a TC Ditto, and will be getting a couple of MXRs in the near future. Still looking for a trye bypass wah, but i'm nearly there!

Tom, I LOVE the VC15. Looks classic, enough tone control but not too much, f/x/ loop, good reverb - and above all, the tone is just what a valve amp ought to be. I just wish they did a really small neighbour-friendly 1-watter. I have to say that the VC15 is quite loud for its wattage. If mine disappeared, I'd track another down promptly.

I've had two crybabys in the past (one stolen after gig, the other lost in house move), but am looking for something that has true bypass (having finally found a guitar/amp combination that really works for me, I don't want to mess with the sound too much).

Do you think the DC has much of an affect when turned off? I see that Vox do a hand-wired wah with true bypass, but it only runs on batteries, which is a bit of a pain.

Thanks

The MXR Carbon Copy is a fantastic delay. I have one and I highly recommend it. You can take the back plat of it off and adjust the modulation. Really cool. Great pedal. An Ibanez Tube Screamer is a must have for every guitarist. Get one if you don't have one. Also highly recommend the MXR Phase 90 Script. I've got one, too, and I've played a bunch of Phaser's over the years and it's the best Phaser pedal out there in my opinion.

I've had two crybabys in the past (one stolen after gig, the other lost in house move), but am looking for something that has true bypass (having finally found a guitar/amp combination that really works for me, I don't want to mess with the sound too much).

Do you think the DC has much of an affect when turned off? I see that Vox do a hand-wired wah with true bypass, but it only runs on batteries, which is a bit of a pain.

Thanks

Dunlop makes a crybaby with true bypass, might wanna look it up, but I know there is one with bypass

Thanks Zep, I'll try and find it.

So far, picked up a Ditto Looper, which gave me great fun over the weekend, and an MXR Caron Copy which will arrive this week. I've got a muff-type fuzz on the way too, having one built by Jed's Peds with custom artwork (Zappa's Freak Out cover). Tube Screamer, TC Spark Boost, wah and Analog Chorus from MXR to go and I'll be done.

Plannning on using a Pedaltrain 2 (or nano, if it will all fit) with a Volto underneath.

After that, who knows...pedal addiction definitely kicking in...

Plannning on using a Pedaltrain 2 (or nano, if it will all fit) with a Volto underneath.

You know the Volto only has two 9v outputs right? It won't be able to power all those pedals...you're better off investing in a Pedal Power 2 from Voodoo Labs or something similar. Guys at my local guitar store (all gigging musicians) have tried the Volto and found it produced unreliable voltages with some pedals, affecting the tone.

-Ryan

Try alot of stuff and see what you like for your sound...

GC was always great because they have those pedal pillars where you can try all the pedals out with a guitar and see what they sound like with your guitar or a similar guitar.

I also surf YouTube for demo vids of pedals & gear I think I'm interested in.

I have a Vox '67 reissue wah, I think it sounds great and I used to use a CryBaby and frankly I can't tell the difference.

I love my TC Electronics ditto looper for writing and working out originals.

My TC Electronics Hall Of Fame reverb is dramatic and awesome! I happent to think the stock/default tone-print is to-die-for!

I love over drives of a Tube Screamer type and right now I have a GFS Greenie Classic and a GFS Blues Driver. They are both great and I'm stuck on the Greenie Classic which is supposed to be very similar to a Tube Screamer and it's a staple of my rig.

I also use a DigiTech RP50 digital multi-effects pedal. It has like 85 programmed presets and I only like about a 1/2 dozen of them, but those 1/2 dozen sound really good...

I also use a pedal tuner with bypass so I can retune in silence in between numbers... The Les Pauls stay in nearly perfect tune all gig long so it's more of a security blanket than a need, I hate being out of tune...

I do alot of reverb in everything I do and I like to play between my Fender Blues Deluxe reissue spring reverb and the TC Electronics HOF during songs for that Peter Green in & out of reverb effects thing...

I love reverb! I like it so thick you can lie down and take a nap on it...

Well for me I have a 2012 Traditional and play through a blues jr amp. The pedal I always have on is my TS-808 Tube Screamer that I use as a clean boost and i just added the new MXR Joe Bonamassa Fet Driver which is a stellar pedal. I don't have a delay so can't help you there but I hope you find what your looking for.

Loved reading through this thread to see what other people are using! My rig either a Vox AC4 or AC15, depending on what setting I'm in! Les Paul studio, humbuckers. Current pedal board runs...

LP

Crybaby Wah

OCD overdrive

Tube Screamer

A crappy rogue analog delay which often times gets taken out (SDOTD, $20... I really want a MXR carbon copy)

Whammy Pedal (rarely used, but its always a good conversation starter when someone sees it)

Holy Grail Reverb

Boosta Grande clean boost

all into my Amp. Gives me ton of versatility. Never have a problem with dialing in the sound I want. Can get anything from clean blues tone, to crunchy overdrive, to raging overdrive!

I play a 2014 LP Standard through an Orange Tiny Terror, I already had a Digitech RP 1000 multi effect that I used with a Shecter Hellraiser(sadly no longer have) initially I was leary of tone getting muddied through the RP 1000 with the LP but I was pleasantly surprised it's next to nonexistent! It's really a great board almost all in one for pedals; overdrive, chorus, delay, and even has a looper. Also has different modeling options of amps and cabs. It is pricey but less than getting all of the pedals separately

Nearly there...so far:

TC Spark Booster

MXR Badass 78(the red one)

MXR Chorus (the yellow one)

TC Ditto Looper

MXR Carbon Copy

Fuzz Factory 'Freak Out' (custom build job from Jed's Peds)

All rigged and ready on a Pedaltrain Mini with power supply.

This week I'll probably get the wah - will go for the Dunlop/Custom Audio model with bypass and the built-in line booster, unless anyone persuades me otherwise?

It's all sounding very nice by the way!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Jon

Archived