Gibson Brands Forums

Normal Les Paul Hum or Grounding Issue?

Bachian

I just installed a BCS wiring set of pots, caps, and switch, along with Slash Alnico Pro II humbucker. I'm getting a bit of a hum and wondering if it's normal or a grounding issue. I tested my grounds with an ohm meter. It started at 00.1 or 0.02 and settled on 00.0. My pots are grounded together and I have the bridge ground connected to the neck tone. Please, listen to the hum on this Youtube video I made - its less than a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsyX5J9W77Y

Bachian,

Welcome to the forum!

Definitely a ground buzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

If you are absolutely positive that the ground to your jack is OK:

Slightly loosen your nut on the jack.

Attach a 1' wire between the nut and the washer.

Touch every thing on and in your guitar.

When the buzzing stops....that is your bad ground. (if it is only one spot)

Sounds by what you are saying that it is a bad ground to your bridge.

Just a guess,

Willy

P.S. Are you playing in a place that is grounded properly.

Have you tried this in other locations?

I tried the wire to jack and the humming stopped when the other end touched the cap ends of the volume pots. I resoldered them and nothing... I tried soldering a wire from the jack to the volume pot and lost treble and middle position on the toggle switch, but kept rhythm... I'm stuck...

I tried the wire to jack and the humming stopped when the other end touched the cap ends of the volume pots. I resoldered them and nothing... I tried soldering a wire from the jack to the volume pot and lost treble and middle position on the toggle switch, but kept rhythm... I tugged on the bridge ground wire and it seems firmly connected... I'm stuck...

Sorry for the double post... If there was a delete button I would have deleted the double posting.

That does not sound normal. You might post some pics of your wiring.

GDKel.jpg

I used this diagram they sent me (yellow is white wire):

oHD8r.jpg

Sorry for the double post... If there was a delete button I would have deleted the double posting.

GDKel.jpg

I used this diagram they sent me (yellow is white wire):

oHD8r.jpg

In looking at your diagram, and comparing it to the diagram that I use in rewiring my LP and SG, I notice that in the diagram I use,the hot leads from the pickups connect to the left lug of the volume pot, along with the capacitor, and the capacitor then is connected to the center lug of the tone pot. The wire from the switch connects to the center lug on the volume pot. The tone pots are grounded to themselves by bending the right lug to the pot and soldering it there. I hope this helps. I found the diagram I am using in the DIY portion of this website.

Pete

I tested all my grounds, in the guitar, with an ohm meter and they were .001.

BUT I tested the wall outlets, of this house, and this is what I got (picture below). I believe the 53.4 should be .001

Could this cause the buzz and is it safe to play the guitar in this house? When I touch the strings the buzz leaves.

BhZcM.jpg

Did your guitar exhibit the same symptoms before you changed the pickups and wiring?

I don't know... I changed everything out as soon as I got it. But the amp has a pretty loud buzz too with the lead plugged in, and the amp is brand new.

It's hard to tell without being there in the room. I agree many guitars will have some noise at high volume/gain, but in his recording the hum seems fairly loud compared to the guitar when played and his spoken voice. But maybe there is some compression going on with the recording process.

When you did the ground wire thing mentioned by Willy, did you touch the wire to your bridge, pickups, etc.? It sounds like you touched the wire to the volume pot lugs, which I don't believe was the intent.

Your wiring looks pretty good. No way to completely check it from a picture but it generally looks right with good quality soldering.

I don't fully understand your measurements at your wall outlet, but your house wiring could cause an issue. Have you tried the guitar/amp in another room or another house?

I took the guitar and amp to another house the the buzz was 80 to 90% less. I had a small buzz, but my gain, treble, and volume were on 10, and the master volume on 4. When I touched metal on the guitar the buzz stopped at the other house, too... I assume the problem is this house and not the guitar, being the buzz was 80 to 90% lower at the other house...

My next question... Is it safe to play in this house if the house has a grounding issue?

Update: I'm only get hum and static when I turn my neck tone pot. If I turn it down all the way there's no hum or buzz, but if I turn it up the buzz and static return. I checked my two solders on it and they seem good. I have a cap soldered to it and the bridge ground. Any ideas?

Update: I'm only get hum and static when I turn my neck tone pot. If I turn it down all the way there's no hum or buzz, but if I turn it up the buzz and static return. I checked my two solders on it and they seem good. I have a cap soldered to it and the bridge ground. Any ideas?

Maybe a bad pot? If you decide to replace the pot, remember to turn it all the way down before you start to avoid dead spots after...

I also added a ground from the input switch to that pot on my LP to eliminate the hum. Hope this helps.

Maybe a bad pot? If you decide to replace the pot, remember to turn it all the way down before you start to avoid dead spots after...

I also added a ground from the input switch to that pot on my LP to eliminate the hum. Hope this helps.

Where exactly would I connect to the input switch at and where at on the neck tone pot?

Where exactly would I connect to the input switch at and where at on the neck tone pot?

There will be two wires on the input jack. One should be shielded and the other one bare. I soldered a new wire to where the bare (ground) wire was and then soldered the other end of that wire to the back of the neck tone pot. Hope this helps.

There will be two wires on the input jack. One should be shielded and the other one bare. I soldered a new wire to where the bare (ground) wire was and then soldered the other end of that wire to the back of the neck tone pot. Hope this helps.

I have that ground connected to the neck volume pot. Should I switch it over the tone pot to see if it helps, or would it cause no change?

I have that ground connected to the neck volume pot. Should I switch it over the tone pot to see if it helps, or would it cause no change?

Ido not know that it would make any difference. You may try it on the off chance it may help.

Archived