Gibson Brands Forums

60s Fender Jazzmaster

fretplay

I played in a trio weekends for a year or two with a guy who used one and made it sing. I was cut, in my opinion, by maybe 30 percent of technique playing the thing. It seems to me that it depends on the individual - and not many individuals fit with the thing.

m

I owned one in the mid 90s. I got sued over it too. A guy got drunk and sold his '65 Jazzmaster, then a year or so later when he noticed it missing he tried to report it stolen (yes I'm serious). That lasted a year (I won the case).

I liked it. I didn't love it. I got caught up in it being a good surf guitar. It was an okay surf guitar. The string angle was low over the rocking bridge and the 10-46 kept popping out of the saddles. When it was designed in the late 50s 12-52 was much more common.

Sold it, never looked back. I always go back to the Tele.

I was wondering if any member has one or played one, or has any ideas on the anomaly of the market at present for these guitars.

Here's a good place to start your research - http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/index.php . Never played a sixties model, but I own a 2003 CIJ and I have played a ton of nineties Japanese Jags, Jazzmasters, and Mustangs.

IMO I think it has to do with three things

1. Fender has saturated the market with low end, made in Mexico and China/Indonesia offsets. This inflates the value of higher end Japanese and American Fender offsets.

2. In the sixties, the Jazzmaster and Jag were the crème de la crème of Fender's lineup. I think a lot of cats ended up with Teles and Strats because they were more affordable. Couple that with the sixties being viewed as the golden era of Fenders and Gibsons and you have a high priced market.

3. Lovers of Fender offsets are like a cult (I know because I am part of it) and a large part of this is the players that put these back into fashion after they were cheapo axes you could get a pawn shops for next to nothing; this was decades ago when everyone was playing pink super Strats or pointy guitars. I am talking cats like Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth, J Masics of Dinosaur Jr., Tom Verlaine of Television, Kurt Cobain, and now Nels Cline. Everyone wants to be them so offsets can command those high prices.

Evol...

All due respect, I chortled out loud reading your note...

Why? <grin> 'Cuz the guy I worked with in a house band back in the early/mid '70s used his as a country lead guitar - flatpick and fingerpicks and a pinkie on the volume and palm on whammy - he made the doggone thing sound like a pedal steel and I don't mean kinda like a pedal steel.

Funny how one type of pickin' on a guitar can bring such wildly differing perspectives when played by another sorta picker.

My philosophy continues, however, that if a given instrument seems to play itself and lead you places you've not been before, it's your guitar and I could not be happier for you. Or for Virg, the picker I'm talkin' about those years ago who's likely switched to harp on a cloud somewhere 'stedda playin' the Jazzmaster through his early Baldwin pushbutton ss amp.

m

Brother M,

If you told me some cat was ripping twangy country licks and doing pedal steel tricks on a Jazzmaster, I would not be surprised in the least. It is a very versatile guitar.

One important Jazzmaster player I forgot to mention above is Kevin Shields of MBV.

Yeah, I think "we" can be pretty stupid with ourselves when it comes to "appropriate" guitars for what we're pickin'.

Hey, a strat almost plays itself for you whether you're playing jazz or country? I'm all for it. Heck, I've used a little AE to do some fingerstyle jazz. Roy Buchanan could do marvelous jazz work on his Tele; Chet could do anything on anything, I think.

I know I wasted a lotta good instruments because I didn't have the cash to buy an "appropriate" guitar outright for various sorts of gigs I did through my first 20 years or so of pickin', so I played the swapping game. In retrospect I think I made far more mistakes than I lucked into some instruments that a just fine for me doing anything I'm likely to do with guitar.

That's why I keep saying that if a guitar seems to help you play whatever it is you wanna play, 'stedda making it more difficult, it's one you should treasure. Personally the Jazzmaster stole a good percentage of what I can do on guitar. It just didn't fit. But it fit the other guy perfectly and he did incredible things with it, IMHO. The weakness to our collective heads, I think, is when we have Guitar "A" that we think is "wrong" for Style "A" but almost plays itself, we swap for another instrument that simply doesn't work as well in our hands. That's dumb, and I'm pointing at me far more than at anyone else.

m

Thanks for your replies guys. It certainly answers my first question that yes they are good guitars but why don't they sell? if you look at their sister guitars strats and Teles, if they are on the market at the book price they sell book plus without any problem but Jazzmasters just stick. Strange!

Thanks for your replies guys. It certainly answers my first question that yes they are good guitars but why don't they sell? if you look at their sister guitars strats and Teles, if they are on the market at the book price they sell book plus without any problem but Jazzmasters just stick. Strange!

Blame Hendrix for the Strat's inflated value and blame nerd musicians like Elvis Costello for the under value of the Jazzmaster.

Evol and I may come at guitar pickin' music/styles from somewhat different directions - but I think he nailed the "why don't they sell" exactly. It's not the quality of the instrument, it's the idiocy of "us guitar players" who see somebody playing something we like, or a band playing a style we like, and assume that "we" should use that kinda guitar and none other.

I point a myself over the years more than anyone else. But... I guess if it makes some folks happy to have an axe that lessens their skill set rather than expands it... more power to 'em.

m

People don't like them as much as Strats and Teles. It's just the way it was then, was in the middle, still is now.

rct

Archived