Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP McD

NGD: LG-2 Americana

II have been questing for a small-bodied acoustic that I could gig with, and I've finally found it.

LG2_5.jpg

This guitar really rings all the right bells for the job:

It is super comfortable to play -- like a lot of guys my age, it's getting to be a literal pain to wrap your arms around a jumbo or a dread for three sets. The LG-2 sizes is just right.

LG2_1.jpg

The neck width (1.725), slim taper profile, and 12" radius fit my style (and my hand) very well. I'm mainly a strummer, and play electric some of the time, so this guitar feels great in the hand.

LG2_2.jpg

The sound is really surprising. It really sounds a lot like my J-45. The tone profile is just the same, maybe not quite as much in the bass. It is loud (though not thunderous) and distinctively Gibson. The highs are nice and shiny, and the lows definitely growl, but the mid-range is where this really supports a singer. The red adi top, bone nut and saddle clearly have a lot to do with the projection.

LG2_4.jpg

Visually, very nice. Beautiful vintage-y sunburst (it is a Gibson, after all). The nitro is nice and glossy, but not too showy (it is a Gibson, after all). The old style open back tuners are a nice touch, though I don't love the gold (Not very Gibson-y) but I do like them better than the plastic buttons. I might replace them with nickel one of these day.

LG2_3.jpg

The Baggs element system that comes installed seems to sound good and to work well. I'll know more after I play it out some.

Also -- I'm really happy with the store where I found this -- TruTone Music in Santa Monica. They're a Gibson "5 Star" dealer. I was skeptical, as I'd heard on another forum that they didn't really have too much in the way of selection. WRONG. The Gibson room is not big -- only enough room for one person to sit and play, but in that room they have somewhere around 25 different models to try out. Want to try the SJ-200 Standard versus the Pre-War versus the Western? You can. A whole bunch of J-45 models? Yep. 4 or 5 small-bodied guitars (what I was really looking for)? Yes. It's the only place in So Cal as far as I can tell that gives you this chance for Gibsons. They also have a ton of Martins (including some custom runs), several different Loars, and not too much real low-end junk cluttering the place up). They were very nice to work with, and gave me a deal that I was very comfortable with.

I've been buying and selling and trading trying to figure this out, but I think I've got what I need for the task at hand. That's not to say I won't be buying and selling and trading for other reasons...

So, a fun day, and a good guitar. I'm happy.

Finley some one talks about this Americana that I can't seem to find in my area. It's the one guitar that has had my interest for quite some time.Thanks for the review and congratulations on the NGD

Nice looking guitar. The tuners look like Grover Sta-Tites, which probably have the excellent 18:1 ratio. These are a good deal better than the sealed mini Grovers that go on a lot of lower-priced Gibson acoustics.

Very nice.

To me this is where Gibson really shines - where they do not try to recreate the past but take it and throw in some modern twists.

But watch that old guy and small guitar stuff. I am in my mid-60s and still find a J-200 comfortable as heck to play except when I am snuggling up to it on my favorite old overstuffed chair. Then it can be a pain.

..But watch that old guy and small guitar stuff. I am in my mid-60s and still find a J-200 comfortable as heck to play except when I am snuggling up to it on my favorite old overstuffed chair...

No disrespect to Jumbos or old guys intended!

If I find the right J-200 I will snap it up in a heartbeat. I've always had my heart set on one (but I'll neve buy another without playing it first). I just can't bang away on a big guitar for 3 sets anymore. I had a nasty ice skating incident a few years back (don't ask) and I really messed my shoulders up.

By the way, I handed the LG-2 to a girl in a bar last night and she audibly gasped. She said "The action -- it's almost buttery". She was playing a budget Martin. Probably not for much longer...

If I find the right J-200 I will snap it up in a heartbeat. I've always had my heart set on one (but I'll neve buy another without playing it first). I just can't bang away on a big guitar for 3 sets anymore. I had a nasty ice skating incident a few years back (don't ask) and I really messed my shoulders up.

Try out a J-185, just for fun.

Narrow waist & very comfy overall.

Also, congrats on the new LG-2!

Congrats on a super acquisition. Have been thinking about these myself, though it'll be hopeless to try to find one in my area to audition. Anyway, great looking guitar -- right size, right shape, cool Gibby burst, good descriptive review. What's not to like?

(Well, other than the pickup. [thumbdn])

II have been questing for a small-bodied acoustic that I could gig with, and I've finally found it.

LG2_5.jpg

This guitar really rings all the right bells for the job:

It is super comfortable to play -- like a lot of guys my age, it's getting to be a literal pain to wrap your arms around a jumbo or a dread for three sets. The LG-2 sizes is just right.

LG2_1.jpg

The neck width (1.725), slim taper profile, and 12" radius fit my style (and my hand) very well. I'm mainly a strummer, and play electric some of the time, so this guitar feels great in the hand.

LG2_2.jpg

The sound is really surprising. It really sounds a lot like my J-45. The tone profile is just the same, maybe not quite as much in the bass. It is loud (though not thunderous) and distinctively Gibson. The highs are nice and shiny, and the lows definitely growl, but the mid-range is where this really supports a singer. The red adi top, bone nut and saddle clearly have a lot to do with the projection.

LG2_4.jpg

Visually, very nice. Beautiful vintage-y sunburst (it is a Gibson, after all). The nitro is nice and glossy, but not too showy (it is a Gibson, after all). The old style open back tuners are a nice touch, though I don't love the gold (Not very Gibson-y) but I do like them better than the plastic buttons. I might replace them with nickel one of these day.

LG2_3.jpg

The Baggs element system that comes installed seems to sound good and to work well. I'll know more after I play it out some.

Also -- I'm really happy with the store where I found this -- TruTone Music in Santa Monica. They're a Gibson "5 Star" dealer. I was skeptical, as I'd heard on another forum that they didn't really have too much in the way of selection. WRONG. The Gibson room is not big -- only enough room for one person to sit and play, but in that room they have somewhere around 25 different models to try out. Want to try the SJ-200 Standard versus the Pre-War versus the Western? You can. A whole bunch of J-45 models? Yep. 4 or 5 small-bodied guitars (what I was really looking for)? Yes. It's the only place in So Cal as far as I can tell that gives you this chance for Gibsons. They also have a ton of Martins (including some custom runs), several different Loars, and not too much real low-end junk cluttering the place up). They were very nice to work with, and gave me a deal that I was very comfortable with.

I've been buying and selling and trading trying to figure this out, but I think I've got what I need for the task at hand. That's not to say I won't be buying and selling and trading for other reasons...

So, a fun day, and a good guitar. I'm happy.

Congratulations on the new guitar. I love my LG-2 Americana. A great little guitar.

Thanks! It just keeps getting better day by day as the tone begins to open up and it gets louder. No buyers remorse with this one! And did I mention that it even smells good? That mahogany smells just like my grandfather's dining room when I was a kid.

I did change out the plastic bridge pins for ebony, and I think that's helped open it up. Maybe just superstitious but I do that will all my guitars. I don't like to have any plastic in the tone chain unless it's unavoidable like the bridge on a 60's LG-0.