Gibson Brands Forums

Do you get tired whyle playing guitar?

MR GIBS

This is a question that got me very excited lately...

I play in an acoustic grup these days and during our rehearsals my coleagues have to stop

after playing and singing about one hour and a half.

It annoys meangry.gif , because I never get tired of playing guitar and singing. On the contrary - I RELAX msp_smile.gif doing it.

So how about you?

Three hours is my limit at a jam where I can sit sometimes. When I play with the group I stand up and after an hour plus I'm ready for a rest. Funny thing is I don't notice I was tired until I stop. I have done two one hour sets with the group. After that I'm pretty much a dish rag. Of course, we carry our own stuff and set up and break down, so that contributes to it.

And, I just turned 68, but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

Crap, I am tired all the time. I keep thinking how nice it would at work to have a nap time. But if you want to give me a second wind put a guitar in my hand and have at least one other player in the room. It is like when I used to gig. You would head out the door with a 102 degree fever just feeling like death warmed over. But somehow when you hit the stage you forgot all that and just wailed.

I'm good for an hour or so, then I want to take a short break and get recharged. I don't do three-hour gigs anymore, unless I'm sharing it with someone.....Unless you get up on stage and perform, you really don't understand how tiring it can be. Just standing/sitting there singing and playing a guitar for an hour or two can be very demanding.

I thought the break in sets was a lot for the audience to powder there nose, etc.

One hour on this computer job feels like four sometimes, while one hour on guitar seems like three minutes.

One little big band I played in for a while were a bunch of drunks, and standing between them and the bar was like running with the bulls.

Everyone is different, but I prefer to play solo....

BluesKing777.

I don't recall doing many performances where the set was more than about a hour. Two sets in a row with maybe a 10 minute break are pretty standard. 25-30 min, and 40-45 min are also common.

Jamming, we do one three hour and one five hour session in an average week. We have often played literally all day at jam sessions at festivals. We have to pause for restroom breaks and food. If it is a good, intensive session I notice I begin to show down after 2-3 hours even though I am still enthusiastic. My wife slows down a bit sooner.

But in general if you can breathe, you can jam.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived