Gibson Brands Forums

NGD! 1980 Rickenbacker 360/12

swampash

Back in mid January, I put down a deposit on this beauty. Today I got to go back to the shop and pay the remaining balance and take her home.

It's a 1980 Rickenbacker 360/12 in Fireglo. The finish has faded over the years but it still looks incredible. She was put to immediate use at band practice tonight where all of my band mates were stunned by how good it sounded. This truly is my dream Guitar and I've wanted one for some time.

IMG_1366_zpse9953c5f.jpg

IMG_1368_zps6df85a0a.jpg

IMG_1369_zpse1cb59e4.jpg

IMG_1367_zps31904930.jpg

IMG_1372_zps5bd2b152.jpg

IMG_1374_zps3882beb6.jpg

IMG_1375_zps872bd17f.jpg

You can really see how much it's faded next to its 2011 Six String twin.

I bet the bout is longer to support the extra weight of the tuners on the headstock.

Man, that is a jaw droppingly gorgeous guitar.

Well, I just wondered if maybe the body "spec's" had changed a bit, over the years.

Even the lower bout, on the 12-string looks a bit wider. Looks like the relief area,

around the tailpiece is slightly different, too. The one on the 12-string seems a bit

wider/smoother transition, while the 6-string has a more chisled, and slightly narrower

look. Also, the newer 12-strings have the same body shape/dimensions, as the 6-string

models, at least according to the catalog images.

No big deal, just curious. [biggrin]

CB

I love it!!! That's one I need too. Always wanted to know about a 330-12 as well. Like the look of the 360 w/ binding better. The real old day 360's didn't have the rounded over sides as I recall. More like a 330 only with the triangles & binding. They looked pretty cool too as I think I recall they had binding on the top as well as the back of the guitar. [confused]

Aster

I remember when I went to pick up my PRS at the HOG. There was a guy who ordered a 12 string Rickenbacker. It took almost a year for it to arrive. I was there when I saw his face just gleam in joy at his first look. I imagine that your gleam is even better! Congrats.

Well, I just wondered if maybe the body "spec's" had changed a bit, over the years.

Even the lower bout, on the 12-string looks a bit wider. Looks like the relief area,

around the tailpiece is slightly different, too. The one on the 12-string seems a bit

wider/smoother transition, while the 6-string has a more chisled, and slightly narrower

look. Also, the newer 12-strings have the same body shape/dimensions, as the 6-string

models, at least according to the catalog images.

No big deal, just curious. [biggrin]

CB

I'm not sure to be honest. One major difference is that my 1980 Rickenbacker has the X-Bracing inside the body which means that there is more air inside the body due to the it being thinner. My 2011 6 string doesn't have X-Bracing but does have thicker maple in the body to account for it. I've also been told the hi gains in the 1980 are apparently better but I haven't tested them against the other Guitar. The Hi Gains on this Guitar also have non-adjustable pole pieces on them.

I remember when I went to pick up my PRS at the HOG. There was a guy who ordered a 12 string Rickenbacker. It took almost a year for it to arrive. I was there when I saw his face just gleam in joy at his first look. I imagine that your gleam is even better! Congrats.

It's a big gleam alright. :)

This is my all time dream Guitar. I still look at it and can't believe it's mine. The fact it's also vintage just adds to the warm fuzzy feeling inside. I've already been learning "Turn! Turn! Turn!" and Mr Tambourine Man. :)

I know the "Byrds Greatest Hits" album by heart. HOWEVER, I may NEVER get McGuinn's

exact sound, because of his wonderful ability to banjo roll, and Nashville (finger and

flat picking at the same time, etc.) picking style! And that is really frustrating,

for me. I guess I'm just not "wired" right, or can't hold my mouth/tongue right...or

something?! [tongue][crying] LOL [biggrin]

Oh, and Swampash...IF you don't have a good/great compressor, GET ONE! It's that final

extra touch, to getting "The Byrds" sound. Although, McGuinn recorded most of those

songs, directly into the board, with 2 on-board compressors. Still, with a good compressor,

(Keeley, or "Jangle Box," etc.) you can get very close!

CB

I know the "Byrds Greatest Hits" album by heart. HOWEVER, I may NEVER get McGuinn's

exact sound, because of his wonderful ability to banjo roll, and Nashville (finger and

flat picking at the same time, etc.) picking style! And that is really frustrating,

for me. I guess I'm just not "wired" right, or can't hold my mouth/tongue right...or

something?! [tongue][crying] LOL [biggrin]

Oh, and Swampash...IF you don't have a good/great compressor, GET ONE! It's that final

extra touch, to getting "The Byrds" sound. Although, McGuinn recorded most of those

songs, directly into the board, with 2 on-board compressors. Still, with a good compressor,

(Keeley, or "Jangle Box," etc.) you can get very close!

CB

The Janglebox JB1 is in the mail. :)

Archived