Gibson Brands Forums

Sound Diff Between HB & HB TV

jw3571

The TV model is lighter build than the mc. Its most visible in the two back braces. Don't know if the rest of the guitar has different material thickness.

To me the TV has more highs and sounds more airy, if that makes sense. What sold me on the TV was sound/responsiveness, neck profile and cosmetics (pickguard is much nicer IMHO).

Since all guitars are individuals, you might find a tv or a mc with more bass. generally I would say they have the same amount of bass.

Here is a nice comparison of both gits played side by side:

Beware of splintered bridgeplates, that you might find on both models. Don't forget to take your inspection mirror when shopping, though this is only another cosmetic issue, at least for gibson.

To anyone who has actually played both the Modern Classic and the True Vintage, the difference in tone is obvious...

To me and regarding the specific guitars that I’ve played, they do share the same Hummingbird fundamental voice. But the TV’s got a richer, more complex tone, more airy as LittleJohnny says.

And I too find that they both have the same amount of bass : a sweet deep mellow double-bass.

Now are the sonic and cosmetic « upgrades » worth the extra $$$? It’s only up to the buyer’s taste...

I just like the TV’s tone, feel and look a little more.

But I also dig this sound (skip to 0:48) :

The vintage model is basically the same Hummingbird guitar as the MC (modern classic) version, with a $1000 cosmetic difference.

Totally false....I had, and sold, a MC HB, didn't have the sound that I expected. Found a TV about 6 months ago and it was exactly what I was looking for in a HB. Mellow, crisp and loud, much more than the MC HB. To say that the only difference is cosmetic is just wrong.

Rarely will you find anyone who's bought an upgraded model (True Vintage for the purpose of this discussion) who doesn't think of them as 'better' and promote them as being 'better'. That's the long & short of it. Is there is an element of self-validation in this? ..of course there is. I own both TV and MC line guitars and I would say my SJ-200TV was arguably better than a Std SJ-200 model too.

TV models are considered as 'lighter' built, that may be good news for you, but it's an increased warranty risk, this is factored in to the price... lump that together withe the cosmetic upgrades and you come out roughly a grand or slightly more poorer off. What a grand, or upgrades are worth to you is a personal matter and can't be quantified by anyone other than you. But, will anyone stop you in the street and say that's a TV model, I could tell it before I even seen it... No, they wont, they wont ever... like ever ever!

It's up to you, if the specs, sound & feel tickle you more from the more expensive line then decent logic says you should wait it out to get that one or else you're jumping onboard the GAS train. Never let anyone tell you what's better. If the people we regard as 'great' listened to other people, we'd never have heard their names far less think of them as great. Your ears can tell you what's great far better than our opinions.

Totally false....I had, and sold, a MC HB, didn't have the sound that I expected. Found a TV about 6 months ago and it was exactly what I was looking for in a HB. Mellow, crisp and loud, much more than the MC HB. To say that the only difference is cosmetic is just wrong.

Yeap !

[thumbup]

Rarely will you find anyone who's bought an upgraded model (True Vintage for the purpose of this discussion) who doesn't think of them as 'better' and promote them as being 'better'. That's the long & short of it. Is there is an element of self-validation in this? ..of course there is. I own both TV and MC line guitars and I would say my SJ-200TV was arguably better than a Std SJ-200 model too.

TV models are considered as 'lighter' built, that may be good news for you, but it's an increased warranty risk, this is factored in to the price... lump that together withe the cosmetic upgrades and you come out roughly a grand or slightly more poorer off. What a grand, or upgrades are worth to you is a personal matter and can't be quantified by anyone other than you. But, will anyone stop you in the street and say that's a TV model, I could tell it before I even seen it... No, they wont, they wont ever... like ever ever!

It's up to you, if the specs, sound & feel tickle you more from the more expensive line then decent logic says you should wait it out to get that one or else you're jumping onboard the GAS train. Never let anyone tell you what's better. If the people we regard as 'great' listened to other people, we'd never have heard their names far less think of them as great. Your ears can tell you what's great far better than our opinions.

I would have to give a +1 to ParlourMan on this issue. Very knowledgeable answer. msp_thumbup.gif

I own a HB MC and love it. I've never played a HB TV but look forward to playing one someday.

Facts are I couldn't afford the guitar I got, let alone one a thousand dollars more. However, if I could have afforded the difference, if the TV sounded better, I would have bought it because I would rather choose a better sound if it exists and I'd like to choose my own electronics (and 9 times out of 10 I'd mic it anyway).

Here's my best explanation of MC vs TV: MC's are made for those who are hard on their instruments, like for example taking them on the road and subjecting them to that abuse. They are less likely to fail in a key situation and result in a warranty claim. TVs on the other hand, are meant for those who are easier on their instruments, like studio-types or people who tend to never take the guitar out of their home. They are reputed to be built more delicately so they can be more responsive.

It's important to note: I haven't seen an exact figure as to how much lighter a TV is than an MC (or if it really is). I don't know of anyone who has posted the weight of a MC minus the 9v battery, battery bag, wiring, pick up, and end-pin jack.

Finally, it seems that reviews of the J-45 standard versus the J-45 TV posted here generally run in favor of the standard. Not sure if that's because more people buy the standard and feel the need to justify the purchase or if they actually sound better.

The bottom line is always play the dang thing and let your ears tell you how much to spend.

FMA

Here's my best explanation of MC vs TV: MC's are made for those who are hard on their instruments, like for example taking them on the road and subjecting them to that abuse. They are less likely to fail in a key situation and result in a warranty claim. TVs on the other hand, are meant for those who are easier on their instruments, like studio-types or people who tend to never take the guitar out of their home. They are reputed to be built more delicately so they can be more responsive.

I dont buy into that theory at all. Just becasue the bracing is lighter on the TV model doesnt mean it becomes a precious darling that can snap like a straw.

My HB TV is my main gigging guitar and it gets a bashing, has the battle scars to prove it. Handles it like a road warrior and has never failed me. In fact loves to be play hard and responds accordingly.

We'll said, PM.

(I thought you were banned for life? That was a quick life sentence and we are glad to see ya back!)

I myself prefer the Standards usually, but I prefer the tuners on the TVs!

I am only commenting because I love these Standard vs TV threads - I have been watching the UMGF trying to decipher the Martin range and you think we have arguments over TVs?

Martin has 4 or more types of each plus full Custom Shop goodies - enough to drive some of you jokers spare! I was looking at my Martin om18v.....not made anymore, but you can get ie...

Om18, om21, om28, om35, om42, om45.......in Standard, Vintage, Marquis and then the big Daddy....AUTHENTIC !

Lucky I just bought the one I wanted online - don't ask me to decide between all those.

BluesKing777.

I forgot the GEs for Martins....Golden Era.

I dont buy into that theory at all. Just becasue the bracing is lighter on the TV model doesnt mean it becomes a precious darling that can snap like a straw.

My HB TV is my main gigging guitar and it gets a bashing, has the battle scars to prove it. Handles it like a road warrior and has never failed me. In fact loves to be play hard and responds accordingly.

Off topic, but I've been meaning to ask your opinion of your Furch. Don't think you've talked about it. It's the same as our Stonebridge, correct?

FMA

I actually believe there's something to F. Alpinist's theory - when I think back of the live clips I've seen including H-birds, about 95% of them were Standards/MC's. Also on a local scale. Well that only make you more of a 1'er EA - (but I'm sure you have the same recollection).

Yeah, whos brave enough to look inside

Had a Standard/MC and a TV here on year ago and naturally compared 'concert-halls'.

Yes, the Standard had thicker back-braces, but they more or less shared similar top-ditto.

All differences reported on this Board - look up Jan/Feb. 2013.

Off topic, but I've been meaning to ask your opinion of your Furch. Don't think you've talked about it. It's the same as our Stonebridge, correct?

FMA

Yes, Furch and Stonebridge are same guitars, just different branding for UK and Nth America.

Anything specific you would like to know ? Its based on the Martin OM-18v, has an 'aged' top which Furch claims goes through a process which produced same characteristics as a top that is 60 years old. Certainly has a very warm, vintage, played in sound. Lightly braced, highly responsive with a surprising amount of complex overtones for a mahogany guitar, almost rosewoodish.

It would be in my top three in the stable and perfect omplement to the Gibsons.

Yes, Furch and Stonebridge are same guitars, just different branding for UK and Nth America.

Anything specific you would like to know ? Its based on the Martin OM-18v, has an 'aged' top which Furch claims goes through a process which produced same characteristics as a top that is 60 years old. Certainly has a very warm, vintage, played in sound. Lightly braced, highly responsive with a surprising amount of complex overtones for a mahogany guitar, almost rosewoodish.

It would be in my top three in the stable and perfect omplement to the Gibsons.

Sounds good.

Stay away from the martin om18v if you can - too hard to find and an absolute beauty! Though FB and I could use your moral support if you bought one! It is also a very, very nice guitar to sing with.....and last night I had a friend play his National with me.....not much interest to the Gibson forum, but beautifully complementary guitars....

BluesKing777.

EA,

I first heard about Stonebridge by watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MadlZwIeD5k

At the time it was shot, the guitarist, Calum Graham, was 18 and this performance won him the Canadian Fingerstyle Guitar Championship.

Nice enough guy; sent me a note along with the CD I bought from him (and he actually threw in an extra CD for free). I definitely loved the sound of his guitar and so checked out a video about Stonebridge itself, but was wondering if it was all hype. I guess not, eh?

Being you're Aussies, EA & BK, why no Matons in your stable?

FMA

Archived