Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day

Searcy

I have been looking for a Baritone for years. But knowing that it wouldn't be my main instrument I didn't want to spend a ton on it. After playing one in a store I was blown away by a Jerry Jones U2 copy but I couldn't pay the $1200 that was being asked for it. From time to time I would pick up baritones at guitar stores and try them out. The Fender VI reissue was ok but didn't have that ringing punch and loose feel that the U2 had. I tried some of the other Fender baritones but none of them were for me.

Then last night I went to Guitar Center in Nashville and saw this.

2F92CF30-A7C3-4FE3-ACCB-BE2CC64621CC_zpsqtpch1kr.jpg

Sounded great and played like a dream even with dead strings and the most amazing array of snack crud covering the entire guitar. I honestly have never seen a guitar with this much DNA and crap caked on its paint. While I was plunking around on it another old fart like me started hovering around and listening. After about 20 min I stopped playing and went to hang it back on the wall. "What is that?" the other old fart asked. I told him what all I knew about these reissues (which wasn't much). He said "Can I try it?". So I handed it to him. He pinked around on it for a few min and said "I like that... I'm going to come back for it tomorrow when I get paid." So I left... When I find something that I really think I want that costs more than $100 I always leave and think about it. This was $299 which a quick check of Ebay on my phone showed me was a good deal. I met the wife for lunch and we talked about our day. I told her about the Dano... "Isn't that the one you have been looking for for like 3 years?" she said. "No... Ive been looking for it for like 5 years." "You should buy it" she said. So I headed back and picked it up. Took it home and scrubbed most of the crud off of it.

I love my wife.

I'm still trying to figure out what year this is. Anyone know?

Oh, those pickups don't sound like anything else. Very low power little monster with a very clear and clean signal. They are literally a magnet, wrapped in wire and stuffed in two lipstick tubers.

I have another Dano from 1964.

Nice 1448! My tuners are shot and I got a bone nut, but it is still a fun guitar to play. Great tone.

full.jpg

Oh, those pickups don't sound like anything else. Very low power little monster with a very clear and clean signal. They are literally a magnet, wrapped in wire and stuffed in two lipstick tubers.

I'm really digging that sound, its almost as though there is a very subtle chorus being used

cool baro !!

and a great Mrs. Searcy too !

y'alls 1448s are a lot nicer than mine was, I bought it in '81 at a flea market for $20, because the amp wasn't working......my best bud, who's Dad was a radio/TV repairman grabbed a handful of old tubes & came over & we got it cooking !!.....for about a month.

neither of us knew anything about tubes & we'd just stuck matching sized tubes into it until it worked (3 tubes IIRC).

I messed up & left it plugged in/turned on while I was out of the room for a while, and the SMOKE coming up the hallway told me something was wrong [scared] ....case, flaming....bedroom carpet, melted/smoldering/black.

ended up selling the guitar by its self for the $20 I had in it, so it was all good..........

Pretty cool man [thumbup] whats with all those bolts on the back? (seems to go way past the neck joint) :-k

Ah yes. The screws on te back. Unlike the vintage Danos that only used 3,the neck is held on with 5 screws. The pickup height is adjusted from the back so the other 4 screws you see are the bridge and neck pickup adjustment screws.

1920565_753496548007612_695705300_n.jpg

One of the things I have always most admired about Danelectro is that they rethought and questioned everything about guitar making.

cool baro !!

and a great Mrs. Searcy too !

y'alls 1448s are a lot nicer than mine was, I bought it in '81 at a flea market for $20, because the amp wasn't working......my best bud, who's Dad was a radio/TV repairman grabbed a handful of old tubes & came over & we got it cooking !!.....for about a month.

neither of us knew anything about tubes & we'd just stuck matching sized tubes into it until it worked (3 tubes IIRC).

I messed up & left it plugged in/turned on while I was out of the room for a while, and the SMOKE coming up the hallway told me something was wrong [scared] ....case, flaming....bedroom carpet, melted/smoldering/black.

ended up selling the guitar by its self for the $20 I had in it, so it was all good..........

An amp tech that swapped the speaker in my amp in case warned me what a death trap they are because there is no ground. Advice was to only play it while wearing rubber soled shoes. I made the mistake once of trying to turn on a PA head while plugged into this amp. OUCH! Never do that again.

Ah yes. The screws on te back. Unlike the vintage Danos that only used 3,the neck is held on with 5 screws. The pickup height is adjusted from the back so the other 4 screws you see are the bridge and neck pickup adjustment screws.

One of the things I have always most admired about Danelectro is that they rethought and questioned everything about guitar making.

Hmmm, interesting... That is certainly different...

So does that mean (from the back shot) that the control cavity has a round bit of wood in the middle? cos theres only one screw in a place that I wouldn't expect.

I have been looking for a Baritone for years. But knowing that it wouldn't be my main instrument I didn't want to spend a ton on it. After playing one in a store I was blown away by a Jerry Jones U2 copy but I couldn't pay the $1200 that was being asked for it. From time to time I would pick up baritones at guitar stores and try them out. The Fender VI reissue was ok but didn't have that ringing punch and loose feel that the U2 had. I tried some of the other Fender baritones but none of them were for me.

Then last night I went to Guitar Center in Nashville and saw this.

2F92CF30-A7C3-4FE3-ACCB-BE2CC64621CC_zpsqtpch1kr.jpg

Sounded great and played like a dream even with dead strings and the most amazing array of snack crud covering the entire guitar. I honestly have never seen a guitar with this much DNA and crap caked on its paint. While I was plunking around on it another old fart like me started hovering around and listening. After about 20 min I stopped playing and went to hang it back on the wall. "What is that?" the other old fart asked. I told him what all I knew about these reissues (which wasn't much). He said "Can I try it?". So I handed it to him. He pinked around on it for a few min and said "I like that... I'm going to come back for it tomorrow when I get paid." So I left... When I find something that I really think I want that costs more than $100 I always leave and think about it. This was $299 which a quick check of Ebay on my phone showed me was a good deal. I met the wife for lunch and we talked about our day. I told her about the Dano... "Isn't that the one you have been looking for for like 3 years?" she said. "No... Ive been looking for it for like 5 years." "You should buy it" she said. So I headed back and picked it up. Took it home and scrubbed most of the crud off of it.

I love my wife.

I'm still trying to figure out what year this is. Anyone know?

LUCKY YOU WITH GUITAR & WIFE

Not even a mention of the body being made out of plastic yet?

In the video for the SilverTone I explained the construction. It's not really plastic. It's "Masonite", sometimes called hardboard. The frames are made of plywood these days as you can see in the last pictures.

Sometimes they sound like this.

Archived