Gibson Brands Forums

Help With Tube Swap

Kennis

I've realized it's time to change the tubes in my Marshall. It's actually never been done since I bought it in 2001, and it's mostly just been sitting at home for low volume practising.

There are a lot of different tubes, manufacturers and mods available out there, so if someone has some experience or ideas I'd appreciate some help!

Also, I assume the actual swapping is no problem for someone with a basic electronics education?

Thank you.

I assume the actual swapping is no problem for someone with a basic electronics education?

Are you having problems with it? I've had a Marshall combo since 96, I re-tubed it once, (about 2 years ago) and the guy that did it, gave me the original tubes and said "you know these tested out just fine.. keep them as spares".

And you probably do realize, that the new power tubes will require that you bias the amp once they go in, (are you able to do that?) pre-amp tubes are plug and play, so those are easy to do.

And I'm not sure what you mean about "different types" for example, if you have EL84s, I am pretty sure you're going to need to replace with another set of EL84s (matched of course) If you're talking about Brands,, yea,, there's a ton.. I used Mullards when I re-tubed.. I'd probably do it again if/when I needed to. Sovtek's IME for example tend to "whine" with certain frequencies.. the mullards run nice and quiet.

you can play around I think with different types of pre-amp tubes... you can do some goggling to get some ideas.

my problem is that it sounds muddy and fuzzy. any other amp I play sounds a lot better.

What cabinet you running it through? When I ran my TSL100 on a stock 1960A cab, it sounded immense, never muddy.

You need a nice pair of EL34's for the power stage, I'll concur that Mullards make some cracking tubes. When I retubed mine, I had JJ's and it sounded sweet as a nut. Got mine from Watford Valves.

Some tube dealers have sets of tubes for various amps. Like for your Marshall, they'll have a full set for your particular model. If you're not sure what to get or if you're not really particular about each individual tube, check out the complete sets.

Like this -

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-Amp/Marshall-Amps

I buy mostly from Tube Depot. Quick and competitive. Good testing options.

Guest Farnsbarns

Just throwing this in here... TSL60's are muddy and fizzy. Full stop. The accepted way to combat it is to crank the master and dial the eq way back on all three bands and lower the volume on the crunch and lead channels. This renders the foot switch useless for the channels because clean will be MUCH louder than the od channels. Also, bias it at 85mv and move upwards if necessary. Stop at 90mv though.

Archived