Gibson Brands Forums

Songwriter Deluxe Club

HNS

I don't know how to "make a club" since this forum is there to share but I can tell you that I made some ajustments to my SW Deluxe EC and it sounds better than it did when I bought it two years ago.

1.. I had to soften the frets edges with the appropriate file protecting the fretboard with tape.!!! (these sharped fret edges were not a result of lack of humidity because the SW was new in a well humidified store and I knew the store owner.)

2. I ajusted the action according to Gibson acoustic standard because it was a little too high.

3. I installed a Colosi bone saddle.( Better sound unplugged but a little more compression plugged.)

4. After trying many brands I'm now using Martin SP Lifespan 80/20 11-52 strings and I like the sound.

5. ...and the most important, I enjoy it almost everyday and keep it all year long in a 40% humidity environment.

I have a 2008 SWD that spoke to me the moment I picked it up in the guitar shop. It is a comfortable shape to play and has a tone unlike any other guitar I've ever played. Even though I have a J200 and a Martin, I go back to the SWD over and over. It seems to be the perfect balanced guitar that sings when you play finger style and can hold up beautifully under hard strumming.

guitarsketch.jpg

Thanks Run and drathbun

We're in the club right now [thumbup] . Mine is a 2005 before the split between the studio and the standard model. It has the old two pointed pickguard. I changed the nut to FMI and the saddle (colossi) to bone. I now use lights on it, and the forwarded x brace makes this baby ring and sustain quite well. My SWD likes to be played slow (even with mediums). It's and excellent finger-style, actually its a good all rounder.

I tonerited the guitar and honestly I didn't feel too much of a difference, probably because of it's age.

I heard that the SWD are prone to bellying up? ...because of the forwarded shifted x brace....any experience here.

drathbun

I remember when you bought it [blink] , actually you were the reason why I checked them out. We had a chat somewhere, I guess it was via PM on the Larrivee forum, and you told me that the SWD sounded better than your L-05 if I remember correctly :) .... It seems that you sold it :) ... I still have mine B) .

One thing I noted when comparing the SWD to the Larrivee L-05, was that the latter is substantially more stable than the SWD when humidity changes. I hardly have to retune the Larrivee. Very little actually, while the SWD usually needs much more. Both great guitars IMHO.

Cheers

HS

I has a SWD studio for a couple years. I recall gving it a bone saddle and pins, and with strings defintely 80/20's, Martin SP lights.

However I did sell it eventually as found the rosewood overtones a bit too much, very splashy. Prefer the more direct tone of the rosewood AJ compared to the Songwriter. Great neck though along with the ebony fretboard.

I has a SWD studio for a couple years. I recall gving it a bone saddle and pins, and with strings defintely 80/20's, Martin SP lights.

However I did sell it eventually as found the rosewood overtones a bit too much, very splashy. Prefer the more direct tone of the rosewood AJ compared to the Songwriter. Great neck though along with the ebony fretboard.

Did you have any issues with a belly up bridge? Some said that they did. How do you compare it to your Furch (save the rosewood/ Mahogany issue) ? I still have to make that visit to Prague you recommended to try out Furch guitars.

Cheers

HS

Did you have any issues with a belly up bridge? Some said that they did. How do you compare it to your Furch (save the rosewood/ Mahogany issue) ? I still have to make that visit to Prague you recommended to try out Furch guitars.

Cheers

HS

No issue with the bridge. Uncomparable to the Furch, totally different beasts. Rosewood Dread vs Mahogany OM ...

Thanks Run and drathbun

We're in the club right now [thumbup] . Mine is a 2005 before the split between the studio and the standard model. It has the old two pointed pickguard. I changed the nut to FMI and the saddle (colossi) to bone. I now use lights on it, and the forwarded x brace makes this baby ring and sustain quite well. My SWD likes to be played slow (even with mediums). It's and excellent finger-style, actually its a good all rounder.

I tonerited the guitar and honestly I didn't feel too much of a difference, probably because of it's age.

I heard that the SWD are prone to bellying up? ...because of the forwarded shifted x brace....any experience here.

drathbun

I remember when you bought it [blink] , actually you were the reason why I checked them out. We had a chat somewhere, I guess it was via PM on the Larrivee forum, and you told me that the SWD sounded better than your L-05 if I remember correctly :) .... It seems that you sold it :) ... I still have mine B) .

One thing I noted when comparing the SWD to the Larrivee L-05, was that the latter is substantially more stable than the SWD when humidity changes. I hardly have to retune the Larrivee. Very little actually, while the SWD usually needs much more. Both great guitars IMHO.

Cheers

HS

Yes, I remember that Larrivee Forum chat. My L05 was an amazing guitar, but I think I was immediately struck by the warmth and openness of the rosewood SWD. I don't regret not having the L05 anymore. I think the L05 was a stepping stone to the SWD for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2014 SWD EC and compared to all the other Dreads I have which would be a Dove, Alvarez, Martin and a Epiphone Masterbilt DR500,

I have to say that the SWD EC is my absolute favorite.

Because, it's overall balance from low to high is just superb. It's dynamics, projection, articulation and responsiveness is as good as it gets for me.

I realize that one can play 50 of the same exact model guitar and only find maybe one or two that he or she can bond with and I found the one for me.

The nut width, rolled edges, 12" radius feel just right to my hand.

For me personally... it is the best looking guitar I have ever seen. Not overly "Blinged Out" so to speak, but just right.

I really like the Mustache bridge, the pickguard shape, the abalone rosette and the crown inlay in the headstock along with the split inlays in the fretboard.

Mine has a beautiful AA grade Sitka top with a lot of silking, little to no run out and was perfectly quatersawn. Checked that by the woods grain being perfectly straight up and down on the sound holes inside edge.

I've been playing guitar since 1954 on a daily basis so I have a little experience with them. Never thought I would own a Gibson acoustic that would

be more cherished than my others but this SWD just out plays and out shines them all in my humble opinion.

Below is my SWD EC.... it has Tortise tuning buttons, bone saddle (Colosi) bone nut (factory) Custom Songwriter Deluxe truss rod cover ( personal touch)

bone string pins ( from Custom Inlay ).

maxwallpapermain_zpssojstxxg.jpg

in conclusion... I absolutely adore this particular instrument. I would be proud to be a member of a SWD club.

Congrats on your beauty ! and welcome to the club! May the SWD bring you many years of joy! [thumbup]

I have a 2014 SWD EC and compared to all the other Dreads I have which would be a Dove, Alvarez, Martin and a Epiphone Masterbilt DR500,

I have to say that the SWD EC is my absolute favorite.

Because, it's overall balance from low to high is just superb. It's dynamics, projection, articulation and responsiveness is as good as it gets for me.

I realize that one can play 50 of the same exact model guitar and only find maybe one or two that he or she can bond with and I found the one for me.

The nut width, rolled edges, 12" radius feel just right to my hand.

For me personally... it is the best looking guitar I have ever seen. Not overly "Blinged Out" so to speak, but just right.

I really like the Mustache bridge, the pickguard shape, the abalone rosette and the crown inlay in the headstock along with the split inlays in the fretboard.

Mine has a beautiful AA grade Sitka top with a lot of silking, little to no run out and was perfectly quatersawn. Checked that by the woods grain being perfectly straight up and down on the sound holes inside edge.

I've been playing guitar since 1954 on a daily basis so I have a little experience with them. Never thought I would own a Gibson acoustic that would

be more cherished than my others but this SWD just out plays and out shines them all in my humble opinion.

Below is my SWD EC.... it has Tortise tuning buttons, bone saddle (Colosi) bone nut (factory) Custom Songwriter Deluxe truss rod cover ( personal touch)

bone string pins.

maxwallpapermain_zpssojstxxg.jpg

in conclusion... I absolutely adore this particular instrument. I would be proud to be a member of a SWD club.

Thanks HNS !!! I swear by this guitar.

I'd also like to add that playing and recording with my SWD through the Fishman Aura Spectrum DI pedal creates just beautiful natural tones as if it were being mic'd by some of the most expensive studio mic's this world has to offer.

There are six images available in the pedal that were created by using an SWD with each of these mic's properly placed in front. This pedal interfaces with the Fishman Prefix Plus - T system built in to the SWD really well.

The other advantage of this pedal is you get that great mic'd tone but with no outside noise invading your signal.

The Fishman Aura Spectrum DI

891d4d9d-cb0b-4cd2-a11f-88ca301bbed2_zpsp24tjywu.jpg

Great pedal for use with the SWD in my experience. I don't plug in without it, period

I use D'Addario EXP 11's or Elixr 80/20 nanoweb strings ( if you can get used to the slippery feel) almost exclusively but I found that John Pearce 610LM set works well and are easy on the fingers. Haven't tried Martin strings on it yet but may give them a try sometime soon. I prefer 12-53's personally for the slightly punchier volume and low end response. Don't care for mediums much, too heavy a gauge for me

Am I the only one here using PB 12's Elixir? I've found Bronze 80/20 wayyy too bright for my 2009 standard.

1442005080977.jpg

image url upload

I also installed tropical tune and truss rod cover in gold just for the look and functional.

20150829_105954.jpg

free upload pictures

20150829_110010.jpg

free image hosting

P.S. Love the pre-2012 when they still use ebony for fretboard and bridge.Had enough rosewood for the body back and side.

JimmyBoy,

I have a new set of Elixr PB 12's here to try as the next set I put on my SWD. I will post the results after I give them a try.

That is a beautiful SWD you have there.

Did you add the automated tuners or were they factory ?

I personally don't care for them a lot but that's a personal thing. Some players do, some don't.

JimmyBoy,

I have a new set of Elixr PB 12's here to try as the next set I put on my SWD. I will post the results after I give them a try.

That is a beautiful SWD you have there.

Did you add the automated tuners or were they factory ?

I personally don't care for them a lot but that's a personal thing. Some players do, some don't.

They don't have auto tune in 2009 but the new Gibson J45 came with it (Google for "J45 progressive").It's $115 free shipping off Ebay but you have to let the seller know that you want tuners in gold.It is type B and installation is easy even my Grandmother can do it.No extra hole to drill.Easy to switch back and do no harm to your guitar.

the new SWD 2016 progressive has them also.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBSSCDP

I kind of thought you added them since I knew they weren't available from Gibson as stock in 2009 on a SWD.

Apparently Gibson Montana is going to be putting these things on a good amount of Gibson Montana's fairly soon.

I think they should make it as an option but Gibson has spent a ton of money developing these things and they are being installed on a bunch of new electric guitars out of Nashville.

It is good to know one can switch them out easily with no damage or alterations to the headstock

these are the Grover's I have on my SWD.......

DSCF1261_zpssin2yawg.jpg

DSCF1262_zps8kopkv8i.jpg

DSCF1265_zps2palo2rw.jpg

With these tortoise buttons the gold plating won't wear off from turning them when tuning.

They also in my opinion look really nice with the rosewood headstock overlay.

Nice...Didn't know that they put Tronical tune on the SWD too. I am a big fan of ebony and this is the tuners that I swap out with the Tronical tune.

20150829_142211.jpg

image upload with preview

The ebony buttons also selling on ebay for about $25 w/free shipping worldwide from Vietnam.Take a while to get here in US but well worth.

Well worth it ! I bet they'd look great !

"Am I the only one here using PB 12's Elixir? I've found Bronze 80/20 wayyy too bright for my 2009 standard."

I just put the Elixir PB 12's on my SWD.

First impression is they are "darker" sounding then the 80/20's or it could just be that my ears are so accustomed to the tone of the 80/20's that

it might take some readjusting my ears to their tone.

Not that they sound bad in any way, just a good bit warmer (again darker) maybe ?

Since my SWD has a balanced sound from low to high with a pretty tight and punchy low end to start with it may just be that the PB's make that seem more pronounced. Of course they do need to break in a little but with any type string in my experience, once "broke in " they all lose some luster and chime to my ears. Guess that's why I change them all a lot.

One odd thing is... the PB Elixir's don't feel quite as "slippery" as the 80/20's even though they have the same coating and that seems a bit strange.

But there is my first impression on those.

Archived