Gibson Brands Forums

Pin Poppin Out

jinx2

I have heard varying degrees of success with the plates, from rave reviews to negatives, as this quote from another forum:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2227614

"I bought and tried one of these plate mates with the same idea that you have...to extend the life of the bridge plate on my guitar. For a while I thought I liked it. After about a year of using it, I tried taking it off. Well, without the plate mate the sound of my guitar is so much woodier. I haven't used it since. I also plan to have slots cut into each bridge pin hole so that I can use solid pins. I have been reading up on this and every book I have read (written by a luthier) recommends doing this to avoid bridge plate wear".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please keep us updated Jinx, I think many of us would be interested in the results you obtain.

I also plan to have slots cut into each bridge pin hole so that I can use solid pins. I have been reading up on this and every book I have read (written by a luthier) recommends doing this to avoid bridge plate wear".

This is pretty much what I found when looking into to it, and what I had done with my Gibson. IIR I posted similar comments in an earlier thread (maybe even in this one -- I can't recall).

I guess the two issues with the PlateMate are; Does it work? and, Does it effect tone?

It definitely works very well to secure a pin in a worn out bridge hole.

As to tonal change, I can't really say. Before I put the PlateMate on, I was using an old set of phosfur bronze strings. After I installed the PMate, I switch to 80/20 strings. The 80/20 strings always sound different to me, so I'm not sure if the tonal change is from the 80/20' or the PMate. When these strings wear out, I'll try some phosfurs and let you know what I hear.

Are you happy with the sound though? Can you tell if the platemate did anything negative to the tone?

I am asking because I am having one installed in my LG1 by the guy doing a neck reset currently. I too have read the conflicting reviews but most of the negative responses seem to come from people who say "I would never install that in my guitar" not necessarily from people who have used them. From what I can tell, it should have little to no effect on the tone and it should work great for my problem which was the b string ball end sticking inside the guitar due to the chipped wood on the plate when I changed strings. I have had to use a needle nose pliers to get it out, which I really hate doing! Hopefully the platemate will be a good (non tone sucking) addition to my LG1. But if not, it is only costing me $12 bucks to have it done so I can always take it back off and go back to the pliers if I have to until I get it fixed properly.

The guitar still sounds real nice.

Good to hear... I am hoping for the same when I get my LG1 back from the repair shop. It may be difficult to tell as with the neck reset, I am getting a new saddle cut which will actually give the strings a break angle that it didn't have when I dropped it off. I assume with the neck reset, new saddle and the platemate, I will likely get a bit more volume out of the sweet little box.

Archived