Gibson Brands Forums

Hard to read serial number

Mike1412blue

I have a gibson explorer with a very difficult to read serial number on the back of the headstock, it's almost as if it was stamped very lightly. It starts with a 94XXXXXX, then is hard to see. Is there any place I can look to verify the number. I bought it in Los Angeles in 1998 and assumed it was a 98 model, but now I think it is a 94 because of the number.

94xxxxxx should indeed mean 1994 as year of build. [thumbup]

They switched to YYDDDNNN for the 100th anniversary, although there also are some 9DDD4NNN guitars. Since there is no day in a year above 365 or 366, a misinterpretation of the 4 in the second position is not likely, as is with 14DDDNNNN this 120th anniversary year.

By the way, my Government Series II Explorer's serial number and other contents are stamped very lightly, too. The Explorer's headstock design seems to be inconvenient for those working at the emboldening tool. [rolleyes]

The 1994 number system has been well explained above by Capmaster, but for future reference:

There are two ways to easily, and accurately, 'cipher a lightly embossed, or die stamped, serial number.

1. Shine a small "penlight" type flashlight sideways at a very low angle (almost parallel) across the serial number area of the headstock. This creates shadow of the embossed area, and will most likely reveal the contours of number shapes.

2. Take a thin piece of paper, lay it across the area. Hold it down tightly and firmly in place. Use the side of a freshly sharpened pencil lead to rub the paper across the serial number area. The amount of pencil lead that is transferred to the paper will vary from the high and low areas to reveal the die stamped number.

They switched to YYDDDNNN for the 100th anniversary, although there also are some 9DDD4NNN guitars. Since there is no day in a year above 365 or 366, a misinterpretation of the 4 in the second position is not likely, as is with 14DDDNNNN this 120th anniversary year.

By the way, my Government Series II Explorer's serial number and other contents are stamped very lightly, too. The Explorer's headstock design seems to be inconvenient for those working at the emboldening tool. [rolleyes]

Didn't realize 94's had a different numbering scheme.. This is what my '79 looks like:

8431136933_aa9ebdf9af.jpg

Thanks, that's a huge help. All these years I assumed it was a 98!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived