Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 2007 Prewar Jumbo True Vintage

gottabetweed

image_zps84eb70d7.jpg

image_zpsa7f3fb48.jpg

2007 Gibson Prewar Jumbo True Vintage 1 of 24. Had it since Thursday and so far, I am very impressed.

Wanted a small bridge, old style headstock and logo, with a small sunburst acoustic. This fit the bill perfectly.

Was supposed to be used, but it looks like it has never been played.

Being I still associate "pre-War" with period in time rather than model name, I surely hope that there is nothing prophetic going on here.

But that surely is one sweet looking guitar so a big congrats.

Personally though, I would call that a medium burst. I have played more than a few 1930s pear shape burst Gibsons with a whole lot more black and lot less yellow on them.

Yes, this is the one from Ebay. Been eyeing for a good while.

As far as the burst size, I agree, Gibson has certainly done smaller bursts on some of the original Jumbos. I love that tiny burst look, but don't see Gibson recreating it any time soon. We can hope, I guess.

This actually has several details that make it not "True Vintage". It has the silkscreen logo and the three in a row tuners with the white knobs. Both of these features are found on the J-35, not the Jumbo. The body depth appears to be fairly uniform, like a Jumbo, but I haven't put a ruler to it yet.

Thanks for the compliments. I am very happy with it so far.

Nice score, about the best of the recent slope shoulder reissues IMHO. Love the small burst and wide neck on these, What is the neck proflile like? Slim or thick. Round or V. Seems kind hard to find a Gibson Ri with a big thick neck. After a lot of looking, I got lucky with my L00 Legend: big hard V, 1 3/4" nut...feels great. Would I like a Jumbo with a similar neck shape.

Swang on,

After a lot of looking, I got lucky with my L00 Legend: big hard V, 1 3/4" nut...feels great. Would I like a Jumbo with a similar neck shape.

I don't know about these hybrid "Prewar" Jumbos, but the necks on both our Original Jumbos are very similar in profile to her L-00 Legend neck (not to mention the necks on my '37 L-0 and '35 Jumbo).

-- Bob R

P.S., I wouldn't call this profile a "hard 'V'", since the "bottom" of the 'V' is distinctly rounded rather than sharp (as on a old Martin or Washburn 'V'-neck).

I don't know about these hybrid "Prewar" Jumbos, but the necks on both our Original Jumbos are very similar in profile to her L-00 Legend neck (not to mention the necks on my '37 L-0 and '35 Jumbo).

-- Bob R

P.S., I wouldn't call this profile a "hard 'V'", since the "bottom" of the 'V' is distinctly rounded rather than sharp (as on a old Martin or Washburn 'V'-neck).

I agree that the L-OO Legend neck is a fairly soft V. It all depends on what you're comparing it to.

The neck on my L00 legend has the most pronounced V and thickest profile of any of the modern reissues I've tried. The V is not a hard point, but it's very distinct and feels a lot like some of the vintage Kalamazoos and 30's Gibsons I've tried. The only thing close was my old 57 Tele, which I stupidly sold about 15 years ago. That was a super hard V, but kind of skinny (1 5/8" at the nut). My L00 is a handfull. I had a mid 60's "pencil neck" J45adj in the late 70's (1 9/16" nut)... That thing drove me crazy. What were they thinking? Ever since I got rid of it, I've had a craving for big necks. I played one of the recent J45 1942 Banner Reissues (the limited ones done in association with the John Thomas book). That thing had a nice thick neck, but sort of a round profile, I'm digging this V on the L00. Sounds good too, even though i mainly flatpick old jazz and swing standards. Would stil love to get my hands on a J45 Legend or an Original Jumbo to try them out..

Swang on.

Archived