Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Gibson SGJ

flyingfrets

Just grabbed one of the new SGJ's last Monday (satin Cherry finish).

Gotta tell you, this thing is one HELLUVA bang for the buck. Love the sound of scatterwound '61 zebra pick-ups (BTW: anybody know the polepiece spacing on these pups? Thinking of putting some nickle covers on them. Don't care for the open coil look, but I sure can live with the sound, so I'm good either way).

Guitar just felt "right" from the second I picked it up. Great weight, fast neck, beautiful grain in the wood. Can't say enough about this axe.

If you haven't checked one out yet, go do it. You won't be disappointed. $499 + tax out the door with Gibson bag & all documentation.

Great! How many piece body, does your's have? No big deal, just curious?

Some seem to be 2-piece, and some as many as 4 or 5. Some are matched really well,

other's like a chopper's block. lol...so, I'm just curious. I like the Cherry,

but also the "Chocolate" version (if the wood is "right") as well. And you're

right, seems like an absolute "no brainer" at that price! Congratulations, again. [thumbup]

CB

Until yesterday, I was convinced that the body was 1 piece of mahogany, but on very close inspection it is indeed 2. The join is dead center and the grain is so well matched that you won't see it unless you're specifically looking for it.

No neck dive, gorgeous finish, supreme playability...there's just no downside to this thing.

Again, I can't stress the quality of the pick-ups enough. The sound has to be heard to be appreciated. Really digging the scatterwound humbuckers. The '57s may be a hair closer to the holy grail PAF tone, but these are so close, it's a toss up to my ear. Haven't found a tone (clean or overdriven) yet they can't do & they're all usable - no screeching or unpleasant overtones.

I'd still like to try some nickel covers on them. Seems like the polepiece spacing is 50mm at the bridge, 49 & change at the neck (sound about right if anyone knows?).

Anyway you look at it, a US made Gibson this nice, at this price-point is a deal you just can't beat with a stick.

Gotta tell you, this thing is one HELLUVA bang for the buck. Love the sound of scatterwound '61 zebra pick-ups (BTW: anybody know the polepiece spacing on these pups? Thinking of putting some nickle covers on them. Don't care for the open coil look, but I sure can live with the sound, so I'm good either way).

Guitar just felt "right" from the second I picked it up. Great weight, fast neck, beautiful grain in the wood. Can't say enough about this axe.

If you haven't checked one out yet, go do it. You won't be disappointed. $499 + tax out the door with Gibson bag & all documentation.

Most Gibbies seem to use pups with neck spacing. I bought both recently but only neck spacing fit. The Gibson store says what the spacing is for both types of covers. Try measuring yours after you check the Gibson store.

[thumbup] Congrats on your new score, that thing sure looks pretty sweet alright and I'll just bet it plays like a charm, Right? I handled one like yours at GS a couple of weeks back and WOW, can't hardly wait for the Lefties to become available. The 2014 SGJ is really the only guitar that Gibson is offering this year that makes me melt. :rolleyes:

Yes it does. Forget the "it's nice for the price" crap. It's a great guitar PERIOD. Playability is outstanding and the pickups are all sweet spot.

Nice guitar, I have been tempted to buy one of these from the moment I saw them but I am running out of space.

I noticed that MF increased their price to $544 by the way.

Yeah, I probably need to thin the herd a little myself, but I couldn't pass this one up. I noticed that MF price jump myself. Glad it came 4 days after I bought the guitar instead of 4 days before! [cool]

Well Sweetwater had them for $499 and they have several in stock with high def pics. That does not help GAS

I had my annual performance appraisal yesterday and my bonus is twice of what I expected, my wife told me to get whatever I want, still very tempted by this SG but I have to think what gear would benefit me most.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That's gorgeous. I also would add covers. I keep my guitar right in front of me, but we also have 3 cats. The pick up acts more like a cat hair magnet than an actual magnet so I put a cover on mine. It's an Epi LPJ, so there's just the one, but if that's a Gibson SGJ, it amazes me it's a 2 pick up guitar. Which is, imho, the best looking guitar in history at only $500?

I gotta ask this though, is it that much better than the Epiphone SG Pro with the ProBuckers for $400? It has the regular P90's in it, is that correct? I don't mind small changes like adding new machine heads, I prefer them black anyhow and I haven't seen either with that from the factory. This question is only for the folks who've tried both, I already know what the Gibson purists think, this is absolutely no disrespect to you folks I've been a life long GM guy so I respect your feelings even though I could kick my car at the moment. I just know that the cheap as heck LPJ was actually a great guitar out of the box, so I'm a lot more open to the idea of it. The Luthier I took it to for the initial set up didn't have to do anything but change the strings. My E and A frets at 1 and 2 just lifted a touch, but our apartment gets mad temp and humidity changes through the seasons so I'd imagine any guitar is going to be at risk of the same thing.

We were supposed to have a new Guitar Center open 3 miles from my home back in January, but it's still not open. None of the mom and pop shops around here have either in stock right now or I wouldn't even need to ask this question. Thanks for your opinions and thanks for having me in your group.

That is a beauty for sure.

Great looking wood. I like that color, too.

What type of case is that you have it in?

IIRC, it's an aftermarket SKB.

That's gorgeous. I also would add covers. I keep my guitar right in front of me, but we also have 3 cats. The pick up acts more like a cat hair magnet than an actual magnet so I put a cover on mine. It's an Epi LPJ, so there's just the one, but if that's a Gibson SGJ, it amazes me it's a 2 pick up guitar. Which is, imho, the best looking guitar in history at only $500?

I gotta ask this though, is it that much better than the Epiphone SG Pro with the ProBuckers for $400? It has the regular P90's in it, is that correct? I don't mind small changes like adding new machine heads, I prefer them black anyhow and I haven't seen either with that from the factory. This question is only for the folks who've tried both, I already know what the Gibson purists think, this is absolutely no disrespect to you folks I've been a life long GM guy so I respect your feelings even though I could kick my car at the moment. I just know that the cheap as heck LPJ was actually a great guitar out of the box, so I'm a lot more open to the idea of it. The Luthier I took it to for the initial set up didn't have to do anything but change the strings. My E and A frets at 1 and 2 just lifted a touch, but our apartment gets mad temp and humidity changes through the seasons so I'd imagine any guitar is going to be at risk of the same thing.

We were supposed to have a new Guitar Center open 3 miles from my home back in January, but it's still not open. None of the mom and pop shops around here have either in stock right now or I wouldn't even need to ask this question. Thanks for your opinions and thanks for having me in your group.

Yes, it IS that much better than the Epi SG Pro. They're miles apart. No, they're not P90s, they're the new uncovered '61 humbuckers. Black & cream bobbins & scatterwound. Really nice tone. I'm assuming it was plekked at the factory as it needed no setup at all.

• 5 months later...

I have a Chocolate 2014 SGJ. I like it quite a bit.

It's my only guitar right now.

I love the look of the zebra humbuckers, and they sound great as well.

Mine needed a little more setup though.

The radius was off a bit on both the nut and the bridge saddles.

Took it back to the local shop where I got it. The did a proper setup on it, and it's quite good now.

Anyone here have both the 2014 LPJ and the 2014 SGJ? Or at least have a chance to compare the amplified tonal character of each of them?

I've only seen the 2013s compared head to head, and they had different pickups.

I played one of these. I have to agree. For the price you can't find much better. It's a great just playing around guitar.

I seen that quick price jump. Hows the 61 pick-ups. I haven't played a 2014. They are alnico V and I imagine some players will like that. They sound raw anyway with the 50 maple neck. That said I heard there are no finishes like the rubbed and faded for next year. Might be bull don't know. Ergonomics are the same, its a very comfortable SG to play.

• 2 weeks later...

I seen that quick price jump. Hows the 61 pick-ups. I haven't played a 2014. They are alnico V and I imagine some players will like that. They sound raw anyway with the 50 maple neck. That said I heard there are no finishes like the rubbed and faded for next year. Might be bull don't know. Ergonomics are the same, its a very comfortable SG to play.

Yep. No SGJ or LPJ for 2015. I really like my SGJ, but sort of wish I had sprung for the LPJ.

Until yesterday, I was convinced that the body was 1 piece of mahogany, but on very close inspection it is indeed 2. The join is dead center and the grain is so well matched that you won't see it unless you're specifically looking for it.

No neck dive, gorgeous finish, supreme playability...there's just no downside to this thing.

Again, I can't stress the quality of the pick-ups enough. The sound has to be heard to be appreciated. Really digging the scatterwound humbuckers. The '57s may be a hair closer to the holy grail PAF tone, but these are so close, it's a toss up to my ear. Haven't found a tone (clean or overdriven) yet they can't do & they're all usable - no screeching or unpleasant overtones.

I'd still like to try some nickel covers on them. Seems like the polepiece spacing is 50mm at the bridge, 49 & change at the neck (sound about right if anyone knows?).

Anyway you look at it, a US made Gibson this nice, at this price-point is a deal you just can't beat with a stick.

No screeching? You say that like it's a good thing ! [unsure]

• 5 weeks later...

No screeching? You say that like it's a good thing ! [unsure]

Well, fell victim to a cherry 2014 SGJ from SamAsh. Very cool guitar. Love it. I did not get any paperwork, so I was wondering what is the appropriate product for cleaning the body and for protection? The Gibson spray polish? Became concerned on the longevity of the finish..

Thanks

glennc

Yep. No SGJ or LPJ for 2015. I really like my SGJ, but sort of wish I had sprung for the LPJ.

Don't kick yourself too hard. I love my LP, especially after I got it all setup the way I like. It's a tone monster and the sustain is ridiculous.

But, I walked into GC a couple weeks ago, to add a LPJ. I found one I liked, played and sounded good. Was a good deal at $479. Went in the next day, with the intent of buying it. However, when I had first came looking for a LPJ, the guy first said, "I've got a sweet used SGJ". I asked to see that one.

It turned out, to be a 2013 Cherry model. Wow, this was so much tighter than the LPJ. Sat down and played it, for a good 1/2 hour. I checked it from every angle. Very little wear (some light glossing of the finish where he strummed), no wear on the neck, nor frets. No broken or dinged horns. Near-mint shape, it really could have been hanging their wall all that time.

I look at the LPJ as a bare bones, but very rough Les Paul. The SGJ, I just see as a bare bones SG. Don't regret your purchase, unless you're having major problems. I stopped in yesterday, to pay off the last on the SGJ, as is on hold until the 14th. But, I stole it, for $299.

I wanted to pick up a little practice amp yesterday (Blackstar, holy crap... nice amps!), so I asked for my SGJ to try some out. It just reaffirmed my purchase... that cheap little guitar, just might become the most played guitar I own.

I'm with flyingfrets, forget the price, they're just great guitars.

P.S. I looked at almost every SGJ they had, every one was a 3 piece body. 1 for each of the horns and one for the main electronics and neck.

Told you guys back in March this guitar was more than met the eye.

Still lovin' mine (especially after I did a few personalizing mods in memory of my daughter, who was also an SG player). Just wish I had more time to play it! Spending a LOT of time working on/modding & building guitars lately, but that does bring another "wish list" item to mind...

I wish these '61 pickups were available aftermarket (and with covers for those of us who like that sort of stuff). Still find lots of mojo in their tone though.

Archived