Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Gibson SGJ

flyingfrets

Told you guys back in March this guitar was more than met the eye.

Still lovin' mine (especially after I did a few personalizing mods in memory of my daughter, who was also an SG player). Just wish I had more time to play it! Spending a LOT of time working on/modding & building guitars lately, but that does bring another "wish list" item to mind...

I wish these '61 pickups were available aftermarket (and with covers for those of us who like that sort of stuff). Still find lots of mojo in their tone though.

I'm still really digging mine too flyingfrets. I LOVE the zebras..they are perfect for classic rock, rock, and the newer modern country stuff I like.The LP's and my Fender products are suffering from neglect lately lol. I've got a question for you if you don't mind. Do you know if a SGJ will fit a standard SG hsc? I'm sure it will....just dont know how much slop, if any, there may be. I found a fairly reasonably priced case that the owner says came with a new standard SG. It's quite a drive from here (about 165 miles round trip) and would hate to get there and it not be a very good fit. I dont relish the thought of driving that far just to see if it's a snug fit...but is probably my best option. I'm not sure about the dimensions difference between an SGJ and a SG.....I wouldn't think it's a great deal but not sure, I dont have a standard SG to measure.

I'm still really digging mine too flyingfrets. I LOVE the zebras..they are perfect for classic rock, rock, and the newer modern country stuff I like.The LP's and my Fender products are suffering from neglect lately lol. I've got a question for you if you don't mind. Do you know if a SGJ will fit a standard SG hsc? I'm sure it will....just dont know how much slop, if any, there may be. I found a fairly reasonably priced case that the owner says came with a new standard SG. It's quite a drive from here (about 165 miles round trip) and would hate to get there and it not be a very good fit. I dont relish the thought of driving that far just to see if it's a snug fit...but is probably my best option. I'm not sure about the dimensions difference between an SGJ and a SG.....I wouldn't think it's a great deal but not sure, I dont have a standard SG to measure.

My case isn't a Gibson. It's an aftermarket case (SKB or TKL - I can't remember which at the moment), but it was advertised as being intended for an SG. Since I was at GC, the salesman & I tried 3 or 4 different SGs in it before I bought it (hadn't brought mine with me since I hadn't really intended to buy anything that day but that went out the window with the sale they had going on that weekend). They all fit perfectly - several different models too. Fits my SGJ like a glove. You shouldn't have any problem. Just make sure the case will accommodate the headstock angle.

Good luck...

Now go play that SGJ! [thumbup]

My case isn't a Gibson. It's an aftermarket case (SKB or TKL - I can't remember which at the moment), but it was advertised as being intended for an SG. Since I was at GC, the salesman & I tried 3 or 4 different SGs in it before I bought it (hadn't brought mine with me since I hadn't really intended to buy anything that day but that went out the window with the sale they had going on that weekend). They all fit perfectly - several different models too. Fits my SGJ like a glove. You shouldn't have any problem. Just make sure the case will accommodate the headstock angle.

Good luck...

Now go play that SGJ! [thumbup]

I'm leaving in a couple hours to go get that case I was talking about. I'm confident it will be a good fit but if not I'll do an SKB most likely. For $75 I can't pass up a USA case though. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here have both the 2014 LPJ and the 2014 SGJ? Or at least have a chance to compare the amplified tonal character of each of them?

I've only seen the 2013s compared head to head, and they had different pickups.

I have both the 2014 LPJ and the SGJ.

Really Really like the 61s even better than the Burstbuckers in my Tweedy. Still have to roll the treble tone back but not the piecing highs I get from the Burstbuckers and my Fender amps.

Tone wise what you would expect........the LP sounds like a LP and the SG sounds like a SG. Same way I would describe my SG Original and LP Traditional both those have 57s

The SG sounds like a less complex version of the same thing.........I think the Maple tops and deeper bodies of the LPs give them some more complexity to the single notes or chords.......the SGs are just a Hog plank with PUs about a simple a guitar as you can get.

I guess the best way to describe the SGs roar and LPs sing.

Yes I know the 61s are considered Burstbuckers too but to me are a sweeter version of the Burstbucker........more like a bright 57.

Hmmmm! I would have described it, just the opposite. With the more pronounced "bass" response,

of the Les Paul, makes it seem more the one to "roar," while the pronounced mid-range of the SG,

makes it "Sing" (to me)! But, to each his/her own. [biggrin] They're Both Great!! Just down

to a personal preference, or "need," really. I DO love the easier upper fret access, more, on

the SG!

CB

Hmmmm! I would have described it, just the opposite. With the more pronounced "bass" response,

of the Les Paul, makes it seem more the one to "roar," while the pronounced mid-range of the SG,

makes it "Sing" (to me)! But, to each his/her own. [biggrin] They're Both Great!! Just down

to a personal preference, or "need," really. I DO love the easier upper fret access, more, on

the SG!

CB

Yes we all describe different.

The midrange heavy SGs to me make a roar, LPs have a more complex tone like you say with punchier bass and higher more defined treble the SGs are more a one tone roar to me, LPs have more note to note complexity to them and to me sing.

How we describe the sounds I guess.

Archived