Gibson Brands Forums

very few choices for single coil guy

batfish

Hi there,

THis is my first post.

I'm a single coil guy and I'm really interested in a P90 SG. I was pretty surprised to see (when I started shopping), that there're no SGs with P90s in their current lineup. It looks like it's pretty much limited to the Melody Maker and super expensive custom shop stuff. I tend to shop in the middle of the range, so nothing for me, I guess.

Does Gibson regularly update it's lines mid year, or is the current lineup pretty much it through 2014? Given past history, is there a chance that Gibson will introduce new models to fill this gap some time later this year? Or, would I more likely be waiting a year or more if I want something new (in which case I'll most likely be hitting the used market!).

Thanks!

Batfish, welcome to the forum, and...don't give up, so easily! [biggrin]

SG Standard P-90, SG '50's Tribute, both have 2 P-90's.

SG Junior (Not SG-J), has single "dog ear" P-90.

SG Futura, has P-90 in the neck position, and Humbucker at the bridge.

Those are all Gibson USA, and not "Custom Shop"...so, they should be

in your price range. Also, some large retail dealers may still have

"leftover" new stock, on the SG "Classic," also with 2 "Soap bar" P-90's.

(Often, Items listed on Gibson's web site as "discontinued" can still be

found in stores.) Just takes some investigation, and/or leg work.

Good Luck!

CB

Batfish, welcome to the forum, and...don't give up, so easily! [biggrin]

SG Standard P-90, SG '50's Tribute, both have 2 P-90's.

SG Junior (Not SG-J), has single "dog ear" P-90.

SG Futura, has P-90 in the neck position, and Humbucker at the bridge.

Those are all Gibson USA, and not "Custom Shop"...so, they should be

in your price range. Also, some large retail dealers may still have

"leftover" new stock, on the SG "Classic," also with 2 "Soap bar" P-90's.

(Often, Items listed on Gibson's web site as "discontinued" can still be

found in stores.) Just takes some investigation, and/or leg work.

Good Luck!

CB

Hey, Thanks Charlie! Yeah, I've been coming up to speed with the various incarnations of the SG, but correct me if I'm wrong, none of the P90 options are in the 2014 lineup, I think. I've been searching the major retailers (mainly sweetwater and guitar center as I have accounts with those guys, but I've looked at a few others) and haven't seen anything new with P-90s and can't find any holdovers from last year. I think that Futura neck pickup is not actually a p90, either, a stacked hum bucker, I think (that looks like a P90). Let me know if I'm off base here - if the models with P90s are still current and (for some reason), just not in stock anywhere at the moment, I'll be patient :)

If I could find a standard with P90s and without that e-tune thing, I'd be all over it.

Thanks!

Bat...

At risk of being lynched ... one might consider an Epi SG with P90s.

A lot of folks swear by them - and in some countries a high end version costs as much as a low-end to mid-range Gibbie version here in the States.

m

Hey Milod,

Thanks for the tip.. Those epiphone pro guitars seem fine to me. I've usually been a fender guy, and their overseas guitars are quite good (I have a made in Mexico as well as an American made tele and they're both quite good). Is it the same for Gibson?

IN any case, I did check, and can't see any Epi's SGs with P-90s in their current line up, either.

Charlie Brown, I could live without a neck single coil, but not a bridge single coil - single coil on the bridge is the whole point :)

Looks like I'll just have to wait this out... or wait for something nice to come up on CL!

Try...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-limited-edition-50th-anniversary-1961-sg-special-outfit-electric-guitar

Or even less expensive - and a bolt-on neck but P90s (to me a board guitar is just a board guitar, one or two horns..."

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-les-paul-special-i-p90-electric-guitar

In a worst case... a properly setup less expensive Epi and new P90s to fit.

Or... a semi 'stedda a board? For very little cash, a lotta folks swear by the little Epi Wildcat - p90s, routed body rather like the Gibbie Midtowns so it's kinda a semi-hollow, and a Bigsby. One is on sale for three bills at MF. And a "F" "modern player" Jag has P90s too...

m

Hey Milod,

Thanks for the tip.. Those epiphone pro guitars seem fine to me. I've usually been a fender guy, and their overseas guitars are quite good (I have a made in Mexico as well as an American made tele and they're both quite good). Is it the same for Gibson?

IN any case, I did check, and can't see any Epi's SGs with P-90s in their current line up, either.

Charlie Brown, I could live without a neck single coil, but not a bridge single coil - single coil on the bridge is the whole point :)

Looks like I'll just have to wait this out... or wait for something nice to come up on CL!

Gibson SG Junior! Everything you want, nothing you don't! [thumbup][biggrin]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Junior-60s.aspx

Or, if you prefer 2 pickups:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-50s-Tribute.aspx

CB

Hey, Thanks Charlie! Yeah, I've been coming up to speed with the various incarnations of the SG, but correct me if I'm wrong, none of the P90 options are in the 2014 lineup, I think. I've been searching the major retailers (mainly sweetwater and guitar center as I have accounts with those guys, but I've looked at a few others) and haven't seen anything new with P-90s and can't find any holdovers from last year. I think that Futura neck pickup is not actually a p90, either, a stacked hum bucker, I think (that looks like a P90). Let me know if I'm off base here - if the models with P90s are still current and (for some reason), just not in stock anywhere at the moment, I'll be patient :)

If I could find a standard with P90s and without that e-tune thing, I'd be all over it.

Thanks!

A point of reference; an SG Standard usually comes with humbuckers. You might look for an SG Classic or SG Special. The Classics were pretty reasonably priced, made in 2012, look for a used one.

I have a Classic I got it in 2006 - I bonded with it immediately. Those P90s are rip snortin'

Get thee to Ebay, there has to be something there.

There might be a few of the Pete Townsend 50th anniversary models around as well. They were made in white with two P90 pickups and have the small pick guard. They were also pretty reasonably priced and were made without the PCB that the Classic has.

Here's a picture of Pete's actual guitar. The ones made in 2011 were a reproduction of this one including a copy of the case.

8431152795_67d556a804.jpg

Archived