Gibson Brands Forums

1964 LG-1

brannon67

This one's on you, Brannon. If you find yourself playing the Gibson wishing you had the 12 string to play you can assume you didn't make a good move. I can't think of an example of two guitars that more illustrate dissimilar uses. The LG-1 has a quieter, woody sound, the Larrivee on the other hand is probably full and jangly. You pick.

Well, Actually I played a Martin 12 for $499, which sounded better then the $1400 Larrivee I had. If I ever get a nother 12, it will be the Martin. I just could not let the little LG-1 go. I have been wanting a smaller body Gibson, for intimate blues and fingerpicking, so now I have it.

How is life in Madison? I never spent much time there but did hang around Canton a bit.

Not sure if a Gibson forum is where I would go seeking advice on the "wisdom" of trading a Larrivee 12 stringer for an LG-1. I would imagine the folks here might just be a bit biased. Personally I love playing blues on a 12 string and would miss mine if it went bye bye. But I am also saying that surrounded by a bunch of six strings.

The only way I would say you could have screwed up is if you put a guitar you will end up missing on the chopping block to pick up another because it met some image in your head of what a "blues guitar" is.

Life in Madison is good. Got married, now Im in Ridgeland with my wife. Been to Canton many times. Anyway, I myself do like the looks and the sound of the LG-1, so I guess I got a good trade. Like I said, when or if I get another 12, it will be a Martin. Its got a little deeper sound to it to my ears,not a jangly, but just enough.

Last time I think I was in Canton was when they were filming that "A Time to Kill" movie there.

When it comes to 12 strings while I play a '63 Gibson B45-12 I really like the 1950s and 1960s Harmony Stella 12s. Hard to find one with a good neck but when you do they are just fun and surprisingly good sounding guitars.

Cool man, yeah, they have filmed and are about to film more movies around the Jackson, Canton, Madison, area, at least thats what I heard on the news. Yeah, I like a 12, but I can live without one for a while. Its not essential for me, so.....

LG1 in this case is better.. Larrivees kinda suck... Ive owned earlier Brazilian ones with the Eagle and Gryphon , Gisha girl pegstock inlays.. those were good.. new stuff. not so much..

I guess to me it's a matter of what you wanna play and what you wanna sound like as well as your personal physical playing geometry with a given-size box.

I'm looking - very slowly - for a 12. I'd prefer a medium body, but... whatever, most will depend on the neck.

Zomby... I had one of those old Stellas when I was in college and a cupla years after. Horrid necks, but they did sound pretty decent. Most I knew of ended up with a refinish as soon as purchased. Including mine.

To me the 12 is something that requires a different mindset to play beyond folkie strumming and some bass runs. I listen to Kottke, for example, and it reminds me how it's so difficult to match fancy and not muddy.

m

I have a 64 LG-1 that I wouldn't trade. I've played some duds, but mine is really something! Love it. It's not my only acoustic however. If it's anything like mine, you did the right thing.

Love mine, too. Never going to be loud, but it's got a sweet tone that does its 50 years proud.

I used it on this one a while back:

http://soundcloud.com/anne-rachel/the-company-i-keep/s-7eVpl

Love mine, too. Never going to be loud, but it's got a sweet tone that does its 50 years proud.

Mines pretty loud. When I bought it, a rosewood bridge, bone saddle, nut and maple bridge plate had been installed. No body cracks, and a great neck angle. It rings.... 😊

Cool man, yeah, they have filmed and are about to film more movies around the Jackson, Canton, Madison, area, at least thats what I heard on the news. Yeah, I like a 12, but I can live without one for a while. Its not essential for me, so.....

I gather they have been filming a James Brown bio in my old hometown of Natchez.

As I said, 12 string guitars are strange in that most of us do not see them as a "main" guitar. But when you have that urge nothing else will do. Probably the best way to look at it is there will be plenty of 12 strings around for the choosing should you decide it is time to get one. The LG-1s while not rare probably do not pop up quite as often.

Like Anne, I got one brand spanking new 50 yeas ago. Gave to my son 3 years ago. Visit him often :). I think you'll find you can do more and get more out of the LG1.

To me, a 12 string is like a banjo, sort of less you can do with it. With limited funds - I have a banjo, but not a 12 string. Don't play the Deering Boston often, because I prefer to concentrate and grow on the six string acoustic. So, for you, the answer to your question will require your asking yourself what direction you want to go. Or how much money your wife will allow you to spend on guitars.

Check the price of this 57 LG1 on Australian Ebay - do we believe the professional guitar shop is aware of LG1 prices and are trying to fleece someone or is it a mistake?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gibson-LG1-Acoustic-Guitar-Vintage-1957-/291082907346?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item43c5e4aed2&_uhb=1

BluesKing777.

Wow, that price is just wacky! Never in a million years! Looks nice though. 😉

Check the price of this 57 LG1 on Australian Ebay - do we believe the professional guitar shop is aware of LG1 prices and are trying to fleece someone or is it a mistake?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gibson-LG1-Acoustic-Guitar-Vintage-1957-/291082907346?pt=AU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments&hash=item43c5e4aed2&_uhb=1

BluesKing777.

Wowsers! They are certainly more "plentiful" here, but that is outrageous. I'd guess they average $1,000 USD here.

Archived