Gibson Brands Forums

Is this the JT SJ ?

duluthdan

Sometimes hope springs eternal, but not this time.

This will be my last post on this forum. Folks who want to e-chat can reach me at johnthomasguitar -at- gmail.com

I was just having some fun with my photos and then read this!

What does that mean?

BluesKing777.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be my last post on this forum. Folks who want to e-chat can reach me at johnthomasguitar -at- gmail.com

I hope you will reconsider. Don't leave us Gibson-guitar-lovers because of someone at Gibson corporate. We're not the same as they, and many of them have proven to be nothing like us.

Whatever your eventual decision, thanks for all the great knowledge, enlightenment, and entertainment you've contributed over the years.

Red 333

Too bad Gibson didn't drop one fret. I like the look of a complete rosette. How hard can it be to get a detail like that right on a reissue based on a guitar they had in hand???

I would also have prefered the sunset burst, like the SCSJ. I like to see some red in a burst.

Oh well, I'm just in a cranky mood today...

Lars

I bet dropping one fret, adding the correct burst, and moving the guard over to see the complete ring,, would set you back a additional 1500.00 per guitar...

I guess if you want 1 less fret.. you could remove one.. :)..

I guess if you want 1 less fret.. you could remove one.. :)..

You could, and I've considered it on the one Gibson I have with a 20-fret board (changed from 19-fret by Gibson during repairs). It requires a top finish touch-up after you cut off the last 1/2" or so of the board, which must be carefully removed from the top to avoid damage.

I didn't have it done when I did a neck re-set on the guitar, and I've been kicking myself ever since. It probably would have cost about $25 to do the job at that time, hundreds now.

You could, and I've considered it on the one Gibson I have with a 20-fret board (changed from 19-fret by Gibson during repairs). It requires a top finish touch-up after you cut off the last 1/2" or so of the board, which must be carefully removed from the top to avoid damage.

I didn't have it done when I did a neck re-set on the guitar, and I've been kicking myself ever since. It probably would have cost about $25 to do the job at that time, hundreds now.

you could Put a P90 at the end of the board too... :) ... I had a 60 Bird that had a factory P90 at the end... like a 160.. holes in the top as well for the Pots..

Nick is it purely cosmetic so you can see the whole rosette? Or does it add some sonic aspect since there is less material "restraining" the top from moving?

Purely cosmetic, so it is only my hang-up, although it can't hurt acoustically.

This is very sad news, very sad news. Whatever it was that happened, it amounts to one heck of a missed opportunity on Gibson's part....

Lars

I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with Lars on this. Gibson did miss an opportunity -- and a grand one at that -- to generate some interest, some goodwill, some excitement and talk, some sales (which ultimately, is the goal...) and instead they did ........ this. [thumbdn]

Too bad, so sad.

Oh my.... This is a total loss for this forum and for Gibson.

The people in Montana were totally disrespectful to J.T. This started several years ago when JT was doing research for his book. JT told them of his "Banner Project" and his X-ray file of Gibson guitars. JT sent them copies of all of his X-rays and Gibson promptly sent them to China with an employee from Nashville. They were never to be seen again. Montana never took advantage of any of JT's research.

Then they do the most disrespectful thing of having him send guitars so they can get the specs off of them with a promise to show the prototypes to the dealer that owned some of the guitars. The dealer was to get the exclusive to sell them for a short period of time. Gibson never fulfilled their promise to honor the commitment to JT or the dealer. The dealer promptly dropped the Gibson line like a hot potato. This is not only shameful but probably dishonest on several fronts. These people have no honor. They could be the best reissues ever done and I would never buy one from the way they treated JT.

JT still tried to keep the connection open and was rebuffed several more times. The man is a tower of patience. He just couldn't understand the level of dishonesty these folks are capable of. I believe he finally figured it out.

I will miss his knowledge and this forum will be diminished. Sigh....

Just so everyone here understands... Eldon Whitford was in the process of writing another book and he was treated so disrespectfully by Gibson/ Montana that he dropped the whole project and moved on. I was helping Eldon with Montana research and saw the disrespect first hand. It was truly shameful.

If I repeat the details they will probably ban me from this forum.

I have not followed this saga. I have always consider my relationship to be personal with my own guitar, and my dealer. Now I know why that is good. It is silly on Gibson's part. One only needs to follow UMGF on a cursory basis to see how brand loyalty can make well to do folks who love their guitars just buy more and more of them. High end ones. High margin ones. Brand loyalty and pride in a company certainly drive sales. I will miss JT's posts.

History here -

Jorma & his sig

Ren out the door

now JT

From 1989 - 2012: a Gibson Golden era.

Now running on gas still in the tank from that period.

But I think we are entering the world of "Gibson Brands".

Soon it won't be our sort on this board.

Rather sad...

I can neither explain nor stomach what appears to have been truly odious treatment of Mr. Thomas by the hands of those acting in the name of the Gibson brand, but I also don't understand how that would compel him to leave this forum. I am not aware that anyone on the board was complicitous.

Boycotting the forum because it is hosted by Gibson? I am not understanding the connection, I guess.

We were not flies at the meeting, so we have no idea of any of the goings on from either side, but I think this could be an even bigger mistake on Gibson's part than previous dubious transgressions.

BluesKing777.

I really don't want to say too much here... but I have to add that you are correct in your first statement. Remember, we are only getting one side of things here. We know JT and what his posts say here, but the other side of his relationship with Gibson isn't expressed here. Gibson may have good reasons for this. Let's be fair to both sides and not start bashing either of them. Things usually aren't all that they seem on the surface.

-Keith

I really don't want to say too much here... but I have to add that you are correct in your first statement. Remember, we are only getting one side of things here. We know JT and what his posts say here, but the other side of his relationship with Gibson isn't expressed here. Gibson may have good reasons for this. Let's be fair to both sides and not start bashing either of them. Things usually aren't all that they seem on the surface.

-Keith

Thanks Modoc!

Absolutely correct - and I am sure we will hear!

I am trying not to think about it...luckily it is Melbourne Formula One weekend here and also the start of our football season....phew. Very busy TV weekend - use to go to all the F1, but it gets a bit tired with the 'No Parking' anywhere, and long lines for cabs, tram the train......

BluesKing777.

-Keith

Thanks Modoc... cooler heads prevail... Two sides to every story....

This is why we have written contracts and lawyers.

While I'm sad to see the absence of joy in Muddville, I am not going to burn my Gibsons and start buying Ovations.

Archived