Gibson Brands Forums

Got a good case of G.A.S. building up

Silverbursted

Reading many of the threads on this forum has really given me a good case of G.A.S. (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) and am now considering my next acquisition. The question I am proposing is should I go for a Reissue a VOS or a Custom? I have played the Custom at my local GC and really loved it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

The only thing I would look out for is the neck sizes on the various Historics. Some are a very large profile and they are not as popular out there. You have to really like the really fat 50s style, or the 60s slim taper. Also the 58 is a plain top which I love but it has the really fat neck. Others have Flame. So I would try to find a store that carries them and try them out. There are a lot of nice vintage spec items on them like the pickup rings, aluminum stop bars. Most are solid bodied and not weight relieved.

Visually I can think of two differences. Correct me if I'm wrong. The Guitar Center

Silverbursts have trapezoid inlays, and have a black border sprayed around the guitar.

Oppossed to the block inlays and the original burst paint job, oh yeah the Guitar Center

models don't have the burst paint on the back, the headstock, neck and body, and

sides like the originals.

At least the one I tried had an entirely black back.

I think you're right on the paint but both have trapezoid inlays (none on first fret). They both had the holly inlayed headstock. They also had different tuners. I think the GC version had the Kluson style tuning knobs. I can't find either of them anywhere but one day I'll get one for double price.

I miss the guitar of the week too. That was cool seeing a new one each week. The guitar of the month is most likely easier for Gibson to keep up by making more of the same model as opposed to a few of a lot of different models. The SG Diablo looks pretty killer.

Oh I'm just dreamin' right now. I won't be buying another LP for a while. I'm just building right now. I just refinished my strat and put an ebony neck on. Now it's on to the tele I've been working on for a long time. Me and my buddy are also working on a neck thru SG. That should be pretty sweet. Just got a BFG and I'm very happy with that.

Archived