Gibson Brands Forums

Did I get a good deal on this Joe Pass Emperor II?

Andrew7421

I got a 1995 Korean Epiphone "Joe Pass Signature" Emperor II for $550, after negotiating a little with the owner of the store down from $650. Also, it came with a hard case, and the store had their guitar tech look at it, and set everything up professionally. I was originally going to get a Gretsch 5191 for $600, but I think I bonded a little more with the Epiphone then that Gretsch. So did I get a good deal?

Sure, I think you got a decent deal, just not a "steal." Peerlesses are great, and while that seems to be high end of the going rate on the 'bay, you got the tech work as icing, basically. Enjoy it!

edited to add: Oh, and I would prefer an Epi over a Gretsch 5xxx any day.

...just not a "steal."

Right. A reasonably good deal, i.e., you didn't really overpay. It was good you talked him down from $650. I usually check ebay past auctions to see what a good deal is. There's a Joe Pass on ebay right now for $340 + $50 shipping, and it's a 'buy it now.' But it's got "a few dings and scratches on the top and around the edges, a spot of buckle rash on back, light fret wear...", and there's no case, and no pro setup. Add those in and you get about what you paid, and yours is probably nicer. But here's the bottom line: You got an Epi Joe Pass! Nice!

Right. A reasonably good deal, i.e., you didn't really overpay. It was good you talked him down from $650. I usually check ebay past auctions to see what a good deal is. There's a Joe Pass on ebay right now for $340 + $50 shipping, and it's a 'buy it now.' But it's got "a few dings and scratches on the top and around the edges, a spot of buckle rash on back, light fret wear...", and there's no case, and no pro setup. Add those in and you get about what you paid, and yours is probably nicer. But here's the bottom line: You got an Epi Joe Pass! Nice!

I recently passed on one for $500. If it would have had a case for that price I would have grabbed it.

Archived