Gibson Brands Forums

Feasibility of Modification EP LP Jr.

glennc

Howdy,

Have an Epiphone LP Jr., bolt on neck body. Want a telecaster and can't afford. So, what do you all think of the feasibility of putting a telecaster bridge and pickup on it?

Any thoughts on what would be necessary? Any thoughts on how different it would sound from a telecaster?

Thanks for any information and opinions!

glennc

The LP Jr. has a 24.75 scale length as opposed to the Tele's 25.5" --- this will give it less snap than a real Tele. Even if you use heavier strings, the LP's shorter scale has different tonal properties.

You can get a quite decent Tele clone from Rondo Music for just over a hundred bucks (they also have higher quality ones for a bit more). Rondo Music

I think you'd be happier with one of those --- plus it's already assembled with a warranty.

stl50bsbstk1.jpg

The LP Jr. has a 24.75 scale length as opposed to the Tele's 25.5" --- this will give it less snap than a real Tele. Even if you use heavier strings, the LP's shorter scale has different tonal properties.

You can get a quite decent Tele clone from Rondo Music for just over a hundred bucks (they also have higher quality ones for a bit more). Rondo Music

I think you'd be happier with one of those --- plus it's already assembled with a warranty.

stl50bsbstk1.jpg

Hello Parabar,

I can understand your point. But I already have the full guitar and am not going to put it back to original. Hoping to get close enough. So thank you for your opinion! Seen Rondo instruments before, they are cool

glennc

There are a few things to think about. Are you doing a string through? Depending on where the bridge ends up going, the tele bridge may not cover everything you are abandoning. If you don't get the bridge exactly where it needs to be, you can get the extra "play" needed by using barrel saddles instead of the newer block saddles. You'll have to rout for the tele pickup, then get wires from it to the control cavity. You'll have to cover whatever is left with a pick guard, or something. So, there's a lot of planning and work involved, if you're trying to save money. Do you have access to, and the knowledge for, the tools needed?

If you want to go cheap and cobble something together, it's a great way to learn about guitars. If you want something to be proud of when you're done and maybe even sell down the road, do it right. Check measurements before buying, do mock-ups, to make sure of what you're getting into, before spending any money. It could end up being a losing proposition. If you decide to proceed, take pictures and share the experience. I like guitars that are "thought of, out of the box". But as others have mentioned, scale change will not easily give you a chickin'-pickin' sound.

There are a few things to think about. Are you doing a string through? Depending on where the bridge ends up going, the tele bridge may not cover everything you are abandoning. If you don't get the bridge exactly where it needs to be, you can get the extra "play" needed by using barrel saddles instead of the newer block saddles. You'll have to rout for the tele pickup, then get wires from it to the control cavity. You'll have to cover whatever is left with a pick guard, or something. So, there's a lot of planning and work involved, if you're trying to save money. Do you have access to, and the knowledge for, the tools needed?

If you want to go cheap and cobble something together, it's a great way to learn about guitars. If you want something to be proud of when you're done and maybe even sell down the road, do it right. Check measurements before buying, do mock-ups, to make sure of what you're getting into, before spending any money. It could end up being a losing proposition. If you decide to proceed, take pictures and share the experience. I like guitars that are "thought of, out of the box". But as others have mentioned, scale change will not easily give you a chickin'-pickin' sound.

Howdy tweed2,

Thanks for the response and necessary concerns. I am probably not going string through. Hoping the string spacing won't be a great problem. It'll be semi-cobbled. I will be able to intonate it when it's finished. Not much to lose!! I've seen bridges and pickups for under $50 on ebay, some way under. The members who post are helping with the figuring if it is worth the trouble. Want a pretty close to tele sound..

We'll see......

glennc

Want a pretty close to tele sound..

inchnahalf Ash/Alder body, maple neck, 25.5 scale, some magic. Save your money and buy a tele. The effort you are about to go through will not be worth the result.

rct

inchnahalf Ash/Alder body, maple neck, 25.5 scale, some magic. Save your money and buy a tele. The effort you are about to go through will not be worth the result.

rct

Hello rct,

Thanks for your opinion and advice! Am considering..

glennc

Archived