Gibson Brands Forums

Once a year gig

Tman

Each April, starting 3 years ago, I play in a benefit concert for the Arkansas Alzheimer's association. My 88 y/o French Mom unfortunately suffers from it and I feel it an honor to do this. Last year we raised 22 thousand dollars; not bad.

We just finalized the set list and I just finalized modding my LP! I had a 1995 classic with super hot ceramic pickups (incendiary devices) and so-so tuners and a stock nut. I changed the nut to a bone nut, put in genuine Gibson burst bucker 1 and 2 pickups and replaced the tuners, bridge and tailpiece with TonePro's. The tailpiece was a "worn" but new model because they didn't have a chrome one in stock and I have zero patience. The thing stays in tune like no one's business! I love it!

I did some of the mods a while back but now done completely to my liking!

The band is made up of my old band mates from the 1970s who reunited about 4 years ago for a 50th birthday party and we've been doing this once or twice a year since. I highly recommend it for anybody lamenting the loss of the "old days" and needing to get out and perform.

Here is the original guitar:

Before: DSCN0212.jpg

Here it is now (sorry about the crappy photography):

IMG_1278_zpsf7cd0e14.jpgIMG_1282_zps144030f6.jpg

If anyone wants to see the set list I'd be happy to post it.

Well done, Tman! [thumbup] She looks more classic than before to my taste.

And yes, I would be interested in your set list. My last oldie gig happened at our bassplayer's 50th birthday party last year. I'm the drummer and one of the five vocalists of our sextet... [rolleyes]

Tman - the cause [thumbup] the gig [thumbup] and again , the guitar [thumbup]

What a thrill to do something like that for your mum and others.

Go well!!

Thanks! I am thrilled about it and it does give a real sense of satisfaction. Now I have too learn the new songs!

Well done, Tman! [thumbup] She looks more classic than before to my taste.

And yes, I would be interested in your set list. My last oldie gig happened at our bassplayer's 50th birthday party last year. I'm the drummer and one of the five vocalists of our sextet... [rolleyes]

Thanks capmaster! I like the way it looks much better myself. More Jimmy Page like!

Here is the set list. It is a real rocking set (I think). I'm getting more excited every day. I spoke with our drummer today (he lives in Nashville) and he said Limelight is giving him fits but he's determined to do it and do it well. Neil Peart, go figure!

The set list (by the way it should be obvious that we are stuck in the 60's and 70's)!:

SET 1 (17 songs)

Rockin’ Into the Night - 38 special

Woodstock - CSN

Feels Like the First Time -foreigner

Hurts So Good - Johnny "Cougar" Mellenkamp

Don't Do Me Like That - TP

Same Old Song and Dance - Aerosmith

Brown Sugar

Black Molly (original)

Bad Motor Scooter - Montrose

You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi

Walk This Way - Aerosmith

Rock ‘n’ Roll - LZ

Rock Candy - Montrose

All Right Now - Free

Let’s Go - Cars

Roxanne - Police

Gimme Three Steps - Skynyrd

SET 2 (16 songs)

Saw Her Standing There

Back in the USSR

Come Together

American Girl - TP

Already Gone - Eagles

Whipping Post - Allmans

I Just Want to Celebrate - Rare Earth

Limelight - Rush

Tempted - Squeeze

Funk #49 - James Gang

Josie - Steely Dan

Southern Cross - CSN

Rocky Mountain Way - Joe the man Walsh

Long Time - Boston

China Grove - Doobies

Twist & Shout

“ENCORES”

Honky Tonk Women

Freebird (Can you believe we are playing this? It is the South!)

Play that Funky Music - Wild Cherry

Any comments/suggestion/ pearls about the guitar parts welcome!

Don't blame me for the Bon Jovi song. It was our drummer's wife's fault [scared]

Damn nice set list. Some of those classics are part of the program of one or both my two oldie bands, but I fear you made me insist on rehearsing some new stuff by giving me some excitingly great ideas... [thumbup]

On the other hand, I have to confess that there are songs among them I obviously don't know, or I would be in need to know the original artists of. [blush]

Does "Long Time" mean the Boston hit? I guess no one of our vocalists including me could handle Brad Delp's highest notes... [crying]

However, looking at your setlist, you must be very nice players and singers! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Damn nice set list. Some of those classics are part of the program of one or both my two oldie bands, but I fear you made me insist on rehearsing some new stuff by giving me some excitingly great ideas... [thumbup]

On the other hand, I have to confess that there are songs among them I obviously don't know, or I would be in need to know the original artists of. [blush]

Does "Long Time" mean the Boston hit? I guess no one of our vocalists including me could handle Brad Delp's highest notes... [crying]

However, looking at your setlist, you must be very nice players and singers! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Our singer has some pipes. He is also a phenomenal guitarist and also plays keys (the jerk). Between Long Time (you are correct - Boston), Roxanne (sting) and Foreigner (Feels like the first time) AND Rock and Roll (Robert Plant), he is the only guy that I personally know that can handle it. He is really amazing.

I'll go back and put the artist names next to the song titles for some of the others.

Our singer has some pipes. He is also a phenomenal guitarist and also plays keys (the jerk). Between Long Time (you are correct - Boston), Roxanne (sting) and Foreigner (Feels like the first time) AND Rock and Roll (Robert Plant), he is the only guy that I personally know that can handle it. He is really amazing.

I'll go back and put the artist names next to the song titles for some of the others.

Your vocalist must be a genius when able to perform all these songs. My experiences over the years have always been that the limitations of voices are the very problem.

However, there often are some critical instrumental parts, too. I knew only a single drummer in person who performed Deep Purple's "Burn" close to the original drumming by Ian Paice. He played gigs with Toto substituting Jeff Porcaro suffering from a broken leg that time. Porcaro had been his teacher at the LA Drum School, but the guy is long back to Germany. He sadly gave up playing years ago and is working as software developer now... :(

Your vocalist must be a genius when able to perform all these songs. My experiences over the years have always been that the limitations of voices are the very problem.

However, there often are some critical instrumental parts, too. I knew only a single drummer in person who performed Deep Purple's "Burn" close to the original drumming by Ian Paice. He played gigs with Toto substituting Jeff Porcaro suffering from a broken leg that time. Porcaro had been his teacher at the LA Drum School, but the guy is long back to Germany. He sadly gave up playing years ago and is working as software developer now... :(

You should call him up and arrange to play a gig somewhere in Deutschland!

I firmly believe that once bitten by the gig bug, the disease never goes away. [biggrin]

You should call him up and arrange to play a gig somewhere in Deutschland!

I firmly believe that once bitten by the gig bug, the disease never goes away. [biggrin]

Yes, this is valid for most of the musicians I know from eye to eye including my actual and former bandmates. However, some stay away from making music since decades and reject any requests of reunions as well as of playing with other musicians.

Very nice Tman and congrats for your investment for the cause [thumbup]

Thanks et Merci!

Good Man Tman !

Damn good Man !!

Thanks Bender! The march of a thousand miles began last night when I relearned the first 5 songs. I just figure I'll bite off a bit each night until it gets done.

Archived