Gibson Brands Forums

What was the first guitar you ever bought and where did you buy it?

Californiaman

My first guitar was a black Columbus LP copy, bought for £45 in 1984, from a little music shop in Southbourne - can't remember the name. Lovely guy named Bernie was the proprieter. It was the first of three I bought from him - I also bought a blue Aria Pro II and a tobacco sunburst Strat. I don't have any of them any more, but I did gig the Aria for a couple of years.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first guitar was the cheapest Kay available, my mother got it with three (?) books of Top Value Yellow Stamps, 1961 or '62. The first guitar I bought was a fairly nice Japanese classical, December '64 from a long gone little music store on Broadway in New Haven, CT., cost around $75. Moved up to my Guild F-212 summer of '65 (Banko's House of Music, Ansonia, CT).

Brad

Summer of '63. Des Moines Music in downtown across the street from the Yonkers department store. Dunno what happened to it - maybe Aster has an idea or two.

It was a cheap import no-name classical that was surprisingly playable regardless.

I think I spent maybe $50 for the guitar, cardboard case, Pete Seeger's Folksinger's Guitar Guide and a paperback batch of material from Singout magazine. And a decent set of strings, strap and pitchpipe. I still have the strap and pitchpipe along with the two books. The guitar is long, long gone.

I'd been playing trumpet in everything from a rock/jazz band to high school marching/concert bands to even a little bit of orchestral stuff regardless that I was a horrid sightreader.

But I'd been around the folkie scene enough to know the guitar was too much fun to ignore and that some day I could play anything from Bach to cowboy, jazz to even a rock and roll. A cupla years later loss of my front teeth led to the end of trumpet playing. It was a good thing I'd been pickin', 'cuz I kept doing more and more ... a rock band, then another couple of 'em, then country and...

m

13032_101066963250577_3239380_n.jpg

Well, here's my wife hanging out with him a few years ago. [biggrin]

THAT IS SERIOUSLY COOL! Hope you don't mind me saying so, Searcy, but I love everything about that picure.

That has really put a big smile on my face.

Thanks so much for posting that photo.

[thumbup]

My first guitar was a no-name beat-up old acoustic. Bought it for $1.00 form a friend down the street. Didn't know how to play. Played Smoke on the Water on the low E-String. My first electric was a $40.00 Grandpa Pidgeon's special. Barely playable, high action, didn't know anything about adjusting it, just banged out chords the best I could.

Archived