Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 Love

duluthdan

Em7 mentioned in a post about wanting to see some J-200 love on these pages. Well, here's a snippet of mine. I bought this guitar from Ren at the tail end of summer last year. Its a 2002 Standard - maple back and sides, sounds fab. Sent it to him this winter to smooth out and crown some frets that I was tripping over. Got it back a couple weeks ago - very nice. I lugged this guitar into a mountain hut last summer to play some John Denver songs for a group of ladies last fall - what a hoot. This one has the four-ribbon bridge. The attached video is of a work in progress song - go ahead and skim along to the 3 minute mark to see the smile this thing brings to my face. Post 'em up here folks - they're worth seeing and hearing.

j2007_zpsd6ea3693.jpg

This was my only Gibson for alot of years until my wife claimed it for her own - a 1960 J-200.

Gibson made these in very small numbers - only 110 with a burst being shipped in 1960. It sold for $395.00. You had to throw in another $42.50 for the case it came with (the last year for the brown Lifton cases).

As a testamnet to the guitar, I have offered to buy my wife a Martin D-28 and Taylor 810 (as I await the lighting bolt to strike me down) and she would have noen of it claiming there was abslutely no guitar on the face of the earth that she would prefer to play over the Gibson.

1960GibsonJ200.jpg

Mine's in me avatar, a '92. I've wanted one of these forever. Last summer I mentioned that to my good wife and she said, "Well, why don't you get one?" It took me about 30 seconds to start looking; actually a guy on the Martin forum turned me on to this one. It hangs on the wall next to my HD-28; now, I've loved that Martin for nearly 35 years, but it's mostly been on the wall since the J-200 arrived.

LOVE those j200s. I've always had trouble reconciling what a guy like me would do with one. I'm generally a solo player and while I wish I had more time to do so, I rarely get a chance anymore to play in groups. Always just seems a bit overkill for the living room.

LOVE those j200s. I've always had trouble reconciling what a guy like me would do with one. I'm generally a solo player and while I wish I had more time to do so, I rarely get a chance anymore to play in groups. Always just seems a bit overkill for the living room.

certainly here ya there -- Do I NEED I J-200. eh, no. Do I enjoy every minute of playing and staring at her -- you bet. The way I look at it -- when I'm old(er) and no longer can play her, I can hand it down to my son. When you think of it in terms of lifetimes, it's really a bargain. :)

I've got an SJ200. A 2004 Natural, in maple. Although I am not any where close to expert in evaluating the sound and playability of guitars, it is the best I've ever heard or played.

I got it because, when I was a newbie here - a veteran declared unequivocally here that if he could only have one guitar for the rest of his life, to sit on the porch and play in his golden years - it would be a Jumbo. Shortly thereafter, the stars aligned. My boss said I could get a second guitar and the Mom & Pop in Waco that didn't carry Gibsons, and didn't do trades - took one in for a music minister who wanted a less pretentious Martin.

I love these threads!

So do I , , , , it simply turns me on to see different versions of the same guitar - bursts, blondes etc. . .

And nice to eventually get some 200-food again. After all it's close to being the mother of all acoustics.

Yours, Duluth, sounds deep warm and embracing in the cans - soothing and grand. .

So do I , , , , it simply turns me on to see different versions of the same guitar - bursts, blondes etc. . .

And nice to eventually get some 200-food again. After all it's close to being the mother of all acoustics.

Yours, Duluth, sounds deep warm and embracing - soothing and grand. .

Why thanks Em7 . Can you imagine how good it would sound in the hands of talent? I'm counting 4 ribbon /2 ribbon - so far it looks like 4 ribbon is more prevalent . How many 4 ribbon players use 13 and 17 gauge strings to bring out the trebles? The break angle on these things does not appear to be very aggressive.

I bought it new from the place (Gibson dealer) where I had my first music store job while in college. Pretty certain it was bought in '72 as I recall, but absolutely no later than summer '73.

Em7 mentioned in a post about wanting to see some J-200 love on these pages. Well, here's a snippet of mine. I bought this guitar from Ren at the tail end of summer last year. Its a 2002 Standard - maple back and sides, sounds fab. Sent it to him this winter to smooth out and crown some frets that I was tripping over. Got it back a couple weeks ago - very nice. I lugged this guitar into a mountain hut last summer to play some John Denver songs for a group of ladies last fall - what a hoot. This one has the four-ribbon bridge. The attached video is of a work in progress song - go ahead and skim along to the 3 minute mark to see the smile this thing brings to my face. Post 'em up here folks - they're worth seeing and hearing.

j2007_zpsd6ea3693.jpg

Finally got your vid to play and I'm glad I didn't give up on it! That thing sounds huge! She's a Beaut!

What's the name of that song and who's it by?

Archived