Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 Love

duluthdan

Finally got your vid to play and I'm glad I didn't give up on it! That thing sounds huge! She's a Beaut!

What's the name of that song and who's it by?

That song is very much still an original work in progress, first posted in my bathrobe at 3 AM a month ago because it invaded my head and I couldn't sleep until I put it on tape. Thanks for the listen, feel free to steal it if you'd like. Seriously, I am not at all protective.

That song is very much still an original work in progress, first posted in my bathrobe at 3 AM a month ago because it invaded my head and I couldn't sleep until I put it on tape. Thanks for the listen, feel free to steal it if you'd like. Seriously, I am not at all protective.

Consider it stolen! I'll post the results when I work it out. Probably won't be fingerpicked even though I would like it to be. Gotta dedicate more time to fingerpicking but I'm better at procrastinating than dedicating.

I think I'm gonna learn it on this: CC277950-7FA7-4F29-A658-A3B2B84725ED.jpg

Taking the liberty of snagging Jim D-Bo's performance from above on his j-200,and posting it in this thread- what a classic chime from a 200. Some of that great soind is no doubt due to the new tuner buttons. Love this classic sound .

Confession time. Of pretty much all the "old school" Gibsons (models around before the square shoulders were born), the SJ/J-200 may just be my least favorite. Thing is, objectively I could not come up with one thing about the guitar that does not sound great. But I think for me I tend to gravitate to a guitar that is a bit more immediate and raw sounding.

Confession time. Of pretty much all the "old school" Gibsons (models around before the square shoulders were born), the SJ/J-200 may just be my least favorite. Thing is, objectively I could not come up with one thing about the guitar that does not sound great. But I think for me I tend to gravitate to a guitar that is a bit more immediate and raw sounding.

Its a unique beast. I suppose maybe its the maple that helps give it that chimey sound, and a bit less decay than the J-45 and others. And gawdy? Holy cow, that was enough o keep me away for years. But for song circles, John Denver songs, and robust strumming, these things got it on. I didn't like them until I had a good one laid in my lap.

And gawdy? Holy cow, that was enough o keep me away for years. But for song circles, John Denver songs, and robust strumming, these things got it on. I didn't like them until I had a good one laid in my lap.

Not getting into playing John Denver stuff (the phrase when Hell Freezes Over comes to mind), my wife was playing a 1994 J-100XTRA and could not understand why anybody would want one of those gaudy J-200s. Then she started to play it. That J-100 went bye-bye awful quick while she laid claim to the J-200. But you also have to consider that J-200s from this period were not only made with laminate body but had a totally different top bracing than the J-100. If nothing else that J-200 has got to be the heaviest acoustic I have ever played. I do not think there is as much difference under the hood of a J-200 and J-100 nowadays. Plus she likes the skinny butt neck which while I could play I never cottoned to.

Not getting into playing John Denver stuff (the phrase when Hell Freezes Over comes to mind)

[scared] I used to feel much the same way. Then I moved to Colorado - bright blue skies, sunshine, snow-capped mountains - and it became a bit easier to understand the allure. Plus I have gotten to know a few of the fellas that helped John write and play some stuff, and the story of how "Shadows from the starlight are softer than a lullaby " inside of Rocky Mountain High came to him when he left the campfire to go pee in the bushes - and noticed the shadows cast by the starlight. How can I escape having a new feeling of the genuiness of the guy? Yeah, can be a bit schmaltzy, but for a Colorado cabin full of middle-aged ladies from Australia, who knew every word to every song - it sure was fun !

Recently I was asked by some friends to play a few tunes. I had the J-200 along and she performed exactly as you would expect. One of the fellas asked, "Do you know Nights in White Satin"? Well I did, and I made a joke about having to whistle the flute (or whatever it is) part. I played it (including the whistle) and when I was done, the fella said, "That guitar was built to play that song." I love the guitar for everything I play, but she's a balls-to-the-wall strummer, for sure.

One of my J-200's can be seen on page 14 of Gibson's Fab. Flat-tops. It has the two band bridge and is powered by the Gibson S.O.R.S. system. You either like red or you don't. It's an amazing guitar and I have been playing it for over 20 years. I had it done in red for a companion piece to my Trini Lopez. They are stunning together.

Recently I was asked by some friends to play a few tunes. I had the J-200 along and she performed exactly as you would expect. One of the fellas asked, "Do you know Nights in White Satin"? Well I did, and I made a joke about having to whistle the flute (or whatever it is) part. I played it (including the whistle) and when I was done, the fella said, "That guitar was built to play that song." I love the guitar for everything I play, but she's a balls-to-the-wall strummer, for sure.

It is/was a flute played by Ray Thomas. Tell me PS did you sing it, re: Justin Hayward? WTG! DOFP for certain.

Steve

It is/was a flute played by Ray Thomas. Tell me PS did you sing it, re: Justin Hayward? WTG! DOFP for certain.

Steve

Strange that that whole LP came about because Decca/Deram wanted a showcase for their new stereo recording system.

I love that song. And the whole LP was the perfect companion for an acid trip.

Never tried picking that one though. The closest I probably came was a fingerpicked version of "Whiter Shade of Pale."

Steve

Steve, I doubt I sang it as well as Justin, but I did do my best American-guy-trying-to-sound-like-a-British-guy-trying-to-sound-like-an-American-guy imitation. And whistling is specialty of mine, so even though it probably doesn't sound exactly like a flute, it ain't bad. And sorry to be a out of touch, but what do the initials mean?

Steve, I doubt I sang it as well as Justin, but I did do my best American-guy-trying-to-sound-like-a-British-guy-trying-to-sound-like-an-American-guy imitation. And whistling is specialty of mine, so even though it probably doesn't sound exactly like a flute, it ain't bad. And sorry to be a out of touch, but what do the initials mean?

PrairieSchooner: Initials mean way to go and reference to the source album Days of Future Passed. That is what I get for trying to be in touch! Was intended as a compliment. I sure wish I could sing a Hayward vocal well. Also, whistling is still done right by some in these parts and far more difficult than yodeling! Let me know if you give Tuesday Afternoon a try. I have labored through that one myself over the years.

Steve

PrairieSchooner: Initials mean way to go and reference to the source album Days of Future Passed. That is what I get for trying to be in touch! Was intended as a compliment. I sure wish I could sing a Hayward vocal well. Also, whistling is still done right by some in these parts and far more difficult than yodeling! Let me know if you give Tuesday Afternoon a try. I have labored through that one myself over the years.

Steve

Well duh; I should have figured that out. Thanks! Never tried "Tuesday Afternoon" but I'd think it would be a toughie. I like "Forever Autumn" too.

Archived