Gibson Brands Forums

Luthier's Choice neck profile?

Stefano Sunburst

Anyone know the dimensions and profile for the Luthier's Choice necks? Width is usually 1 75" at the nut, but not sure about thickness at the first and ninth frets...and profile (C,D, shoulders, etc.)? I think they were introduced by Ren Fergeson a few years ago and are kind of hard to come by these days.

Swang on,

Anyone know the dimensions and profile for the Luthier's Choice necks? Width is usually 1 75" at the nut, but not sure about thickness at the first and ninth frets...and profile (C,D, shoulders, etc.)? I think they were introduced by Ren Fergeson a few years ago and are kind of hard to come by these days.

Swang on,

I thought they were usually 1.77" at the nut, like the Fuller's J35, which claims a Luthier's Choice neck.

1.78 at the nut.I will look for my calipers and measure the thickness? Top of freeboard to the bottom of the arc? C shape, not D. I'll try to get a decent picture tonight.

Mine is 1.78" at the nut. It's a little hard to measure the depth accurately with the strings on, but the best I can get is about .84" at the first fret, and .94" at the ninth. I'll measure it more accurately with a larger caliper the next time I change strings.

I would call the neck section a flattened D, with shallow, rounded shoulders. The neck has to be fairly shallow to keep the girth under control with the wide board.

At first, I wasn't sold on this neck, but now I like it a lot. Not great for thumbing bass notes, however, unless you have very flexible hands.

That's the neck on my Fuller's 1943 SJ.

At first, I wasn't sold on this neck, but now I like it a lot. Not great for thumbing bass notes, however, unless you have very flexible hands.

I always wondered why guitar companies do not include neck depth in their specs.

I find I have the same difficulty with my B45-12 - a 2" nut but fairly shallow or flattened out neck. While I ain't exactly a math wiz I want to say the neck is only 3/4" deep at the nut and maybe 7/8" at the 5th fret. If this wasn't a 12 string it would have hit the chopping block a long time ago.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I agree it would be a big help if there was more complete info on neck dimensions, either from the manufacturer or dealer. I guess they're gonna vary a little, piece by piece...But it sure is a help of you're buying without having a chance to play it first. Was also wondering where the term came from? Who were the " luthiers" who decided this was their choice neck shape? Ren Fergeson? 1,78 nut width is very cool, but seems like some Gibsons and Martins heve very THIN necks, especially AJ's and some SJ200's and Martins with the low profile, or performer profile. Even Golden Era D18's are not thick, though there is a litlle bit of V going on. Anything under .85 at the first fret feels quite thin IMHO. I prefer .90 plus and V shape if possible. Something to grab a hold of; but I'm probably in the minority.

Swang on,

A friend of mine once measured a bunch of Gibson roundback D necks. Took me a while but I found some of what he sent me. According to him, the thickness of the neck carve on a late 1940s/early 1950s guitar at the first fret was .925. By the late 1950s they had slimmed down to .910 and in the 1960s to an amazingly thin .765 neck. Due to the handwork I would assume though there is some wiggle room with these measurements and it would vary a bit from guitar to guitar.

Archived