Gibson Brands Forums

Who Needs a Nice Strap?

Buc McMaster

Having forsaken the guitar for the ukulele I find that I no longer need these two very fine leather guitar straps. No I never plan to buy another guitar. I kinda wish I'd picked up a uke much, much sooner along this road I've travelled, but better late than never. Trust me, I will not be needing these guitar straps..........they're just going to dry out and crack if I keep them.

They were bought as lefthanded straps - the shoulder pad does curve in such a way that is meant to lay on the right shoulder. They'll work either way but they are really for a lefty. They are handmade with vintage harness leather and very comfortable. I ordered them in a length to be used with one of the Martin style headstock wraps on an acoustic guitar so they might be a bit long for a guitar with a strap button on the neck heel. They are adjustable to a point with the thongs at each end but not very much..........

Strap1.jpg

Strap2.jpg

Strap3.jpg

Strap4.jpg

So, there you have them.............two pretty nice guitar straps........free! I'll send one to the first two forum folks that say they want one of them. Free.......really. I'd rather someone have them that will use them than for them to just hang here and do nothing. Oh........the Texas Rangers badge stays with me!

Okay! We have our first winner! Which one do you want EA? You get first pick.

And the uke is not a phase............at my age I know what I want and another guitar is not among them. I've thought long and hard about this subject, even looked at more than one guitar in the last six months. And then I realize that I really have no desire at all to play guitar any longer. The ukulele quenches my thirst to play and sing perfectly and I am able to tackle tunes I could never hope to play on six strings. I'm done with guitar, no offense to all you players out there, of course!

Okay! We have our first winner! Which one do you want EA? You get first pick.

And the uke is not a phase............at my age I know what I want and another guitar is not among them. I've thought long and hard about this subject, even looked at more than one guitar in the last six months. And then I realize that I really have no desire at all to play guitar any longer. The ukulele quenches my thirst to play and sing perfectly and I am able to tackle tunes I could never hope to play on six strings. I'm done with guitar, no offense to all you players out there, of course!

Oh my god, oh my god, I won ..... [love]

Actually, its a really hard choice as they both look like great straps, but I think Ill pick the top one as it looks more distinct, a bit different, reckon it would sit nicely on the Southern Jumbo.

Many thanks Buc, I guess Id better PM you with an address ?

Thanks again !

Alrighty then. EA gets the wider one (this one has the Martin headstock wrap attached, which I strongly suggest you try before discarding it........it's quite a comfortable way to sling a guitar) and Joe gets the narrow, darker one. Y'all PM me your shipping info and I'll make it happen. Being in Europe I reckon you'll have to pay some kind of duty to land the thing, EA. I'll pay the cost of postage......you do the rest.

Didn't figure they'd last long.........

They are too cool to let go - are a part of you and who knows, , , maybe that itch for a real acoustic will return. . .

They are indeed cool, sir, and they have been wrapped across my shoulder many a time, but never again. Guitar is an itch I scratched, honestly. After months of soul searching, tempting myself with another Hummingbird, a Jackson Browne and a 12-fret Southern Jumbo, I can say with certainty me and the guitar are done. I like my little ukuleles just fine. I mean, what is the point of what we do with an instrument? What is it for? Why do we do it? I have figured out that for me it's the simple joy of singing a song, any song that strikes my fancy. Some I can get a handle on, some not. But it's the singing of the song, not the instrument so much as the giving of voice to a melody. And I have found that I can do that so much easier with a ukulele, I'm so much more effective at what it is that brings me joy. Now if I were 40 years younger, still doing the things that men 40 years younger do, I'd still be banging on a guitar of some kind, you bet. But as my life has gotten simpler I find that the simple ukulele fits perfectly with my old man ambition...............just to sit and sing a song to share with a few friends. Knowing where you're going is mostly knowing where you have been.

Straps are packed and headed for the post office in the morning guys! I've never been one to hang on to something like these straps that I'm not making good use of........if someone else can use it, pass it on!

Streets of Laredo, eh? Hmmm.............

Archived