Gibson Brands Forums

Who Needs a Nice Strap?

Buc McMaster

For those who missed the Deal of the Day - here's a nice looking strap. Not seen it in person, but sounds tempting.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Austin-Premium-Comfort-Guitar-Strap-J01287-i3351725.gc?source=4XBACR

I like that strap! Hey Buc any chance you might have one of these kicking around? What are you doing with the old chunks of wood that use to hang from those old straps?

I'm not missing out this time I got my finger on the trigger. Waiting for your response!

Yes sir, that is a fine looking strap! The one negative is the metal on it, which in spite of one's best efforts in the heat of battle, can bang on the body of a fine acoustic instrument and ding!.....there ya go........a war wound. Does look nice though........

Okay, for those that missed out on the strap giveaway.............

See the new thread "Grab Bag"

Buc, the strap came in the mail today and it's a beauty. Since none of my guitars have a button at the heel, and I usually don't stand when I play, I'm on my way to my local shop to find one of those Martin things so I can give it a whirl.

Thanks again for your generosity. And, if you ever decide to get back to playing guitar (which I miss from you), the strap will be waiting here for it's return to it's original owner.

Glad you like it, Joe......it is a nice one. And do try one of the Martin style headstock wraps. They work very well, support the guitar great and slinging a guitar this way is quite comfortable. And it has a kind of retro feel and look to it........this is how they did it before they thought of putting strap buttons on an acoustic guitar heel. Enjoy!

And......as a side note.......to reconfirm my commitment to the the ukulele for the disbelievers, here's the Gibson soprano I bought today. It's stamped inside as a UKE 1, but that model had no binding.....this one is bound top and back. It has the "Gibson" silkscreened headstock logo (vs. "The Gibson") which is mostly seen on ukes with a square ended fretboard. This one has the bird's beak on the end of the board. Typical for Gibson, I suppose, that specs vary a lot. Excellent condition! Not beat at all for being from somewhere in the 40s or 50s. Loud and barky like mahogany ought to be! She's a beaut! [thumbup]

gibsonuke.jpg

Picked up one of those Martin thingys and it works great. As you said, Buc, the balance of the guitar kinda surprised me, I didn't think it would feel as good as it does. One strange thing.....the thingy slipped very easily under the strings on my D18V but I had a real hard time getting it under the strings of any of my Gibsons. Strings were much closer to the headstock on the Gibbys. Had to really work the leather to get it under the strings.

Still can't thank you enough, Buc....

Picked up one of those Martin thingys and it works great. As you said, Buc, the balance of the guitar kinda surprised me, I didn't think it would feel as good as it does. One strange thing.....the thingy slipped very easily under the strings on my D18V but I had a real hard time getting it under the strings of any of my Gibsons. Strings were much closer to the headstock on the Gibbys. Had to really work the leather to get it under the strings.

Still can't thank you enough, Buc....

Must have the strings on the Gibsons wound deep on the posts. Two full wraps below the string hole of the post is more than enough. Glad you like it! A headstock strap tie is quite nice!

EA should be seeing his strap sometime this week, I reckon..............

Archived