Gibson Brands Forums

GOR Tuning issues

Alouf

The on-board Tronical autotuning system has been great so far for me.

The only issues I have in my case is the darned G-string that will only tune correctly 1 times out of 5.

So even though the LED becomes green, when I measure it against a Peterson reference tuner, it says it is either too sharp or too flat by more than 5cents!

Do you guys have any issues with your GOR's auto tuning system?

No problems when I tune ready placed strings.

But when I change the strings - the guitar tune high E string to the point it snap (nearly in my eye). So now, when I change the strings, I keep safety glasses and tune the high E to the close of standard tuning by manually. When it is close to standard tuning, then I use auto tuning.

I have an Robot SG. My G string tunes sharp enough to bother me about 10% of the time (yes, an outboard tuner show's it is sharp). But I've came up with a solution: I used the onboard tuning, adjusted the G string so I had a perfect tune, then saved my tuning into one of the 'preset slots' (I used 'e'). Now, when I use the 'e' preset to tune it's perfect everytime (EADGBE). So now, is there a way to overwrite the factory default tuning (which on my Robot produces a sharp G)? That would yield a 'perfect fix'.

I have an Robot SG. My G string tunes sharp enough to bother me about 10% of the time (yes' date=' an outboard tuner show's it is sharp). But I've came up with a solution: I used the onboard tuning, adjusted the G string so I had a perfect tune, then saved my tuning into one of the 'preset slots' (I used 'e'). Now, when I use the 'e' preset to tune it's perfect everytime (EADGBE). So now, is there a way to overwrite the factory default tuning (which on my Robot produces a sharp G)? That would yield a 'perfect fix'.

[/quote']

That's a fantastic idea.

I found that I had a similar problem with the B or E strings (never both at the same time) but most of the time re-tuning solves the problem. In my case I think it is something to do with strumming some of the strings harder than others.

Alouf, have you tried going into your setup and setting the default tuning accuracy to a higher level and see if that helps? The instruction manual explains how to get there. My guitar tunes perfectly everytime once I learned my "tuning strumm" that seemed to work best for the guitar and then used the same strumm everytime. I also found that the more you exercise the system the better it seems to work, i change tunings about 5 times a day and the more I do that the quiker and more accurate the tuning system works. One other thing to consider is if your strings are stretched properly, although I tend to stretch my strings a little more gingerly on the Robot than my other guitars. Where the strings go through the tailpiece they go through a little ceramic sleeve (I assume to keep them from shorting out since the strings carry the adjustment signals to the tuners) and I am afraid that cranking the strings as I nomally would during stretching will break one of these little guys.

Alouf' date=' have you tried going into your setup and setting the default tuning accuracy to a higher level and see if that helps? [/quote']

I will be doing this tomorrow [-(

I like BigKahune's idea a lot. I might just try it out after increasing the accuracy.

I had my G string tuning flat for a while' date=' Re-charged and then the B string would be flat. I went into set-up and made sure my tuning algorithym was set to on and now it seems to be working OK.[/quote']

which tuning algorithm? which page in the manual?

my g string tuner is complete duffed up. whenever i tune the guitar the tuner first takes it far too sharp, then far too flat and repeats. i just completely avoid it now. let the other strings get tronicaled and use my gt-8 to tune the g. i should really get if fixed but i don't want to send it away. Any tips or should i just bite the bullet and get the tuners dealt with professionally?

my g string tuner is complete duffed up. whenever i tune the guitar the tuner first takes it far too sharp' date=' then far too flat and repeats. i just completely avoid it now. let the other strings get tronicaled and use my gt-8 to tune the g. i should really get if fixed but i don't want to send it away. Any tips or should i just bite the bullet and get the tuners dealt with professionally?[/quote']

Maybe wait for the upgrade and see what will get replaced?

• 2 years later...

I've seen the same issues, once in a while, with the G string. I have a question for you: Look at the bridge saddle for the G string, where is it? Is it all the way back to the back of the bridge?

having saddles all the way back can impede the tuning process. Unfortunately, Gibson was very careless in assembling some of the Robots. Mine (a Jr Special), had the bridge put on about 1/4" too close to the neck. In other words, it should have been a quarter inch closer to the tail of the guitar. The result? Two of the bridge saddles are all the way back as far as they'll go (to try and get those strings intonation "in the ballpark"), and that makes for problems.

Gibson does a very crappy job of assembly, and when they say they check all their necks with a fancy computer-controlled piece, in order to give a pro setup, they are simply either lying, or their computer setup thing is a failure. It's one or the other. My guitar tech is going to remove the bridge, fill the holes, and remount it, properly, where it should have been in the first place. All of the bridge saddles have to have some "play" in them. That means: still room to move either forward or backward, AFTER the individual strings have been intonated properly.

• 2 months later...

Mine has some issues and I hardly ever use it :rolleyes:

That's why I'm considering selling it... I don't have time for a guitar that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

When I try tuning most of the time I get the square thing flashing red and no tuner moves.

I tried to set a custom tuning for dropC and it just wouldn't go back to standard after that.

Tried to tune to open G and it gave me the red flashing square. :rolleyes:

Tried it again: red square again.

Tried to tune to standard again... they kept on moving... I think it took them a whole minute to tune to standard and then when I played the G string was out of tune.

I like the guitar and it's comfortable... but I don't find it as versatile as it's meant to be. I'd love to swap them pickups for some coil splittable dimarzios or p94s but I know that would take out the warranty and I'm not really willing to risk the guitar just falling apart and not having a way to get gibson to replace the parts.

Archived