Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo variations

skippy

hi skip, and welcome. Search the threads for posts on TV models. Short answer is that the TVs and Ltd editions like the WG tend to be lighter, more resonant, and a little rounded in the trebles. TV has fwd shifted bracing like an Adv. Jumbo; dont know about the WG. Fwiw, the Woody is the most "period correct of the 3. J

Thanks J,

I am torn between a SJ wg and a Pete Townsend J200 in the local craigslist.

Both are a great deal , I would like something to compliment my Martin D18V (forward shifted

bracing). I am wondering if the SJ would be too close since they are both Mahogany.

The 200 is a world of difference but more $ as well.

Thanks J' date='

Both are a great deal , I would like something to compliment my Martin D18V (forward shifted

bracing). I am wondering if the SJ would be too close since they are both Mahogany.

[/quote']

Skippy, I own both a Pete Townshend J-200 and a Southern Jumbo Modern Classic. I'm very happy with both, but I find that I end up playing the J-200 less than my Southern Jumbo or my Hummingbird. Maybe I'm just not a maple guy. The J-200 is beautiful instrument, just a bit brighter than I prefer.

My Southern Jumbo has become my "go to" guitar. It's the one I grab when I want to write or chord something out. I didn't plan it to be this way and kind of got it on a lark in a special sale. I was thinking of going for the Kris Kristofferson SJ (or even the Woody Guthrie) and someone at Gibson gently steered me toward the MC. I'm a very happy customer. I suppose to some degree it depends on whether you need the electronics, but my SJ is just an awesome, super playable instrument.

I'm sure the SJ TV or WG could be seen as "better" in terms of wood, build or both, but I wouldn't trade mine for one now.

Holy Jesus Powerpopper,

Looking at your tools , you have a great collection.

I am leaning towards the SJ , it's just that the 200 is

a great price and they are getting so expensive.

Maybe I can work it out and try the both before they're

gone.

A.

Skip-, as we say down east, beware of bahgahns. Playing needs first. Re complimentary tones, the 24.75 scale SJ will have a different flavor than the 25.5 18v. More mids, blend on chords. SJ a different beast, a good one, but different, with a man size body and a narrow nut. Kind of a dry,hallow, woody chop vs hog ring.

Thanks J' date='

[/quote']

Heck, for five bucks, *I* could compliment your D-18V:

"My, but THAT sure is a nice guitar -- best one I've ever heard!! And a handsome devil too!"

How's that? :-)

Sorry, too much snow in the last week. I'm five minutes past crazy today.....

Fred

Archived