Gibson Brands Forums

Dark Fire as a learners guitar

captainrico

I've had my Dark Fire for just nearly two weeks now and I am still in love with it.

I hadn't picked up a guitar for over 10 years. Previously I'd had some lessons but I hated tuning!

It's a lot of money to pay for a guitar if you can't play it, but to be able to learn on an instrument that is always in tune makes a tremendous difference.

Anyone else recommend the dark fire for beginners if they have the money?

Apologies to all of you that can play and don't yet have a dark fire in your hands!

Rico

if you have the money i guess... however if you decide guitar isnt for you ur going to lose a lot more then someone who bought a starter pack... personally i think you should learn to tune it will help wiht your playing... but if you dont want to thats cool as long as ur good with it

I have to go out on a limb and respectively disagree. The beginning guitarist has no need for about 90% of these features. Also, the tuning process lays down the fundamentals for your ears to understand the instrument, intervals, and note placement on the neck. Its bad enough most guitarists can't read music for poop, but if we can't even tune our instruments, that is straight up the wrong direction you want to be going down as a musician. I am very pro robot technology, for the purpose of its versatility, not for skipping the very easy process of standard tuning. If you can't tune standard, you will never be able to discipline yourself to learn to play. It's your money, though, do with it what you want.

ajthebird - it's not out on a limb, it's your opinion and I asked for it, so therefore I welcome it. It was my money - now it belongs to someone else!

Having said that, I have spent a small fortune on a guitar that I cannot yet play, but for me when it's a confidence thing. When I hear something that sounds a bit odd I know that it's what I'm doing rather than whether or not the guitar is tune. It's so much better that my previous experience from 10 years ago. My wife even recognises some of the tunes I'm playing!

I've got children who have their own guitars. So I do have the opportunity to tune them! It's really helpful to have a reference in the house so that we all know what they should sound like. The electronic tuner is OK, but its not as good as listening to an in tune guitar!

As for the technology, I'm an electronics engineer. That was what attracted me to dark fire in the first place.

I agree with you on being able to read music. I knew I should have listened to my mum all those years ago!

I'm also an EE - I first heard about the Dark Fire from an Electronic Engineering news blog in November.

I bet a large population of Dark Fires will be owned by engineer / guitarists. I worked on robotic test systems for NASA - so i think we can appreciate the technology.

Its best to learn on the instrument that inspires you.

Congratulations.

I've had my Dark Fire for just nearly two weeks now and I am still in love with it.

I hadn't picked up a guitar for over 10 years. Previously I'd had some lessons but I hated tuning!

It's a lot of money to pay for a guitar if you can't play it' date=' but to be able to learn on an instrument that is always in tune makes a tremendous difference.

Anyone else recommend the dark fire for beginners if they have the money?

Apologies to all of you that can play and don't yet have a dark fire in your hands!

Rico[/quote']

If the DF got you to play the guitar after 10years, then I say don't think about it twice, your decision was a good one.

But for a average, non techy beginner guitarist, that is not excited about the technology or the value of the instrument, a starter 300$ guitar, to his eyes will be the same. So a beginner will see no added value to the DF...

And tuning the guitar is always something you have to learn, whether you have a Robot or not.

From my point of view, you did extremly well. Why ? Because a beginner needs to lean the good sound of a guitar and to recognize when it is in tune. With this guitar, beginners will always hear a well tuned guitar, and they will easily know when a guitar is out of tune and you won't accept to play until you tune it well.

And honestly, I don't think that learning to tune your guitar is the most difficult thing.

Still, all the DF features may not be used by a beginner, but if you have the money and if buying that makes you happy, that's very nice.

So, have fun :)

I think elantric hit the nail on the head 'play the guitar that inspires you'. I dabbled with cheap guitars for ages and never really enjoyed it or got into it properly, and then my divorce came along, kids started work and I had cash to spare!!! So I bought a PRS Single Cut Trem and a Mesa Boogie F50 (and later a Custom Shop Fender Strat) about 4 years ago. The difference was phenomenal, it gives you the mindset that you have spent a lot of money so you need to play it!! And play them I do, every day, sometimes for 10 minutes, but often for a couple of hours at a time. Totally inspired. Plus there is something very nice about playing with good gear. I ordered my DF on 1 Dec and it should arrive in country today, fingers crossed!! I see nothing wrong at all in spending money, you only get one invitation to this party so enjoy it!!

There are purists in every field, and there will always be divided opinion on the robot tuning argument, but with the electronic tuning meters that everyone uses (mine is built into my Boss GT10), a 4 year old could tune a guitar so I do not think the DF is taking away any worthwile skill anyway. My apologies to the purists among us, I do not want to start an argument!!:)

A really good site for tuition DVDs etc, I've just about got the whole collection, is www.licklibrary.com. Not sure if you are playing to backing tracks, but it makes a hell of a difference to your learning curve if you do.

I still can't play for sh*t, but who cares, I'm having fun and I love polishing my PRS!!!!!

I still can't play for sh*t, but who cares, I'm having fun

And thats what it is all about!

When Playing a musical instrument you employ unique areas of the mind, and performing on an instrument becomes a method of non verbal communication. Some folks do gardening, others meditation - I play guitar. Being a good guitarist or a bad guitarist is irrelevant to this personal endeavor. Every guitar player - no matter what level - who continues playing an inspiring instrument will become a better guitarist.

Just use headphones until you are ready for public consumption. ](*,)

Add me to the list elantric. I am also an engineer (mechanical), and what attracted me to the Dark Fire is the technology (my brother and I have been wanting a guitar that can do these things for years). For non-professional musicians, like me, it is the perfect hobby guitar.

Well...I'm an engineer too (structural). Man this is weird stuff, I think Gibson can safely market this guitar towards engineers.

And I will wholeheartedly agree, if you are into technology and in the market for a guitar, and have the money to spend, this is the ideal guitar regardless of experience level.

What I am not looking forward to is a generation of guitarist who can't tune their instruments. Ultimately the music will suffer. Not on a person by person basis but on a larger scale. What I am talking about is in 10 to 15 years when robot technology will be standard on most mid prices guitars you find in suburban music stores. Kids will be purchasing them and missing out on a major building block for ear training, learning intervals and very basic theory. Some of you may not remember this but you do indeed learn and gain allot from the process of tuning your instrument.

Please don't get me wrong, if you are a little older and just want to play, it %100 is the right choice. And indeed it is unfortunate that most starter instruments have terrible intonation, hard to play necks and very high action.

Also, I love the robot technology, it is singlehandedly the most convenient thing ever made if you intend to use multiple tunings. Please do not take me a purist who thinks this technology is all bad. In fact I would love to see drums and the piano adopt some kind of this technology eventually. That would be amazing.

It's definitely a cool feature on an amazing looking guitar, but I still think it's unnecessary. As for a beginner's guitar, I'm against it. Learning to tune a guitar is a basic fundamental and learning to do it right is something anyone who picks up a guitar should know.

I agree tuning sucks. I've played for over 40 years and used to wish they had a self tuning guitar when I was a kid. The picture I use is of my daughter with my JPC. I used to tune for her the whole time she was growing up and now she tunes for her kids. None of us like stopping to tune. My DF arrives tomorrow morning from Atlanta GA. I doubt if I would ever quit playing my LPs just cause I have to tune them. The DF has a lot of features besides tunning that should be fun for a beginner. Glad you are playing something. My first guitar had strings a half inch from the fret board. Not fun.

Learning to tune a guitar is a basic fundamental and learning to do it right is something anyone who picks up a guitar should know.

But why? Even a tone-deaf person can tune a guitar nowadays using an electronic tuner these days... On the other hand, legends like Motzart or Bethoven composed whole operas, symphonies completely in their mind without having to touch their favorite instument, the piano... Ah yes, I bet they called their favorite piano tuning person when it was required... So this self tuning issue is totally out of context in my opinion. And a DF can be manually tuned anyways so whats the big deal here?

On whether its ok for a learner to start with a DF all I can say to the OP is all the power to you!!! I am also in the same camp as you. Played bass for many years, some professionally. Dropped out of the circuit and got a day time job. Recently my kids started getting interested in music and we bought them some guitars which brought back memories and a desire to play the guitar... Turning 40 in a couple days so I wanted to get myself a great guitar to learn on, get back into it and have load of fun. Started looking at vontage SG's. Always had a thing for them but when I saw the Dark Fire pre-release blurb it was a done deal... So there you go, I am a beginner with a DF as well.

And, yes, I can tune my guitar if I have to using a tuning fork but not having to do it as I try to learn alternate tunings sure helps me try more often! Cheers everyone.

I too had not picked up a guitar in over 20 years. My first guitar then was a Les Paul copy. I have had the Dark Fire for 2 weeks now and love it. It has brought back the urge to play again and I have even started taking lesson again! I am now 45 yo and feel great about playing. I could never afford one back then but times have changed and it allows me to purchase one. (Xmas present from the wife).

Mark T

Chicago

Archived