Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone price increase?

mirrorboy

I bought my ES-339 PRO in January this year at a local store for £299 and the lowest online price from a few sellers was £285. Now I notice that everywhere the price is now £339.

In February I bought my Les Paul Standard online for £249 with a free gig bag and most other online sellers offered it for £245. The retailer did state that it was a limited offer. Now I notice that all the online sellers are selling Standards for £299.

The price of other more expensive models don't seem to have changed though. Anyone else noticed?

I have noticed Epiphone and Gibson price increase in autumn 2013 (see the thread: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/106626-epiphone-price-increase-in-europe/page__p__1441304__fromsearch__1#entry1441304)

The prices are more or less stable since then, however, they are temporarily lowered sometimes (at least in European e-shops that I observe).

• 1 year later...

I'm no marketing man, but do you think Epiphone put out these lower priced guitars as loss-leaders (is that what they are called?), where they are sold cheap to bring customers in. I bought my 339 a couple of years ago now, for £299 and even at £339 I'd still think I had an absolute bargain. In fact, just last week I bought an ES335 Pro for £299 which I think is real value for money. So I don't understand Gibson/Epiphone's pricing decisions but I do think we do quite well with prices as they are. This is Epiphone of course, I think with Gibsons the price increase is taking the p**s actually.

Archived