Gibson Brands Forums

Vol: II top crack

Hall

Around 10 years ago I had a crack in the top of my old '70s Ovation "Country Artist," one of the first real AEs and a nylon string guitar. They said they'd do a factory repair although I hadda pay shipping there - a bit over $100 as I recall. They used something that almost looked like a tyvek tape. I didn't have the right mirrors to investigate further. But the guitar kept working, although I think with a bit less sustain.

m

I suggest cleating when the split is in it's current 'healed' state, which will depend upon the repairer getting his/her hands on it under the same condition you created by rehumidifying. That could be tricky. I've never owned anything but old guitars and most had cracks, repaired and re-repaired. I jump right to the cleating option since it's most important to stop any progress if the crack is planning to travel. A very lightweight one ( or three ) will hold it forever and hardly effect the top's responsiveness. Otherwise, I would expect it to eventually get under the bridge and out the other side.

The guitar is a wooden box with a good deal of force in the tensioned strings pulling it, undermining and warping the shape. You have to check and make sure the crack itself or loose bracing under there aren't going to threaten the structure and cause catastrophic failure. If there is further that the crack can extend, even very minor fluctuations in humidity will tend to cause it to grow. Cleating is often a good idea and won't change sound much. I would get a competent luthier to check it out.

You can make cleats, from spruce stock. If you have none locally you can find a sheet on ebay. Titebond glue. I used super magnets to hold the cleats on. Plenty of information on the net if DYI. That said, if you have never done this before, then an expensive instrument should not be your first venture. Find a luthier.

Please keep us updated though.

Archived