Gibson Brands Forums

Elixer Nanowebs

Edlo

Use them exclusively on all of my guitars, acoustic and electric, for a few reasons.

1. My sweat eats normal strings in 1-3 days. These things last me 2-3 months.

2. I hate the dryness and squeakiness of regular strings. Elixirs have an almost "wet" feeling; nice and slick, and no squeaking.

3. I find them fairly balanced in the tone department. Highs are smoothed off a bit, nice barky midrange and slightly rolled off bass.

-Ryan

Have had them on my J-45 for a couple of years now and love em.

Just started using them on my electrics.

Have been using daddario nickel on my electrics for years.

I think I like them better on my acoustic than my electrics but as Ryan said they last ages.

That's all I'll use for my acoustics. For me, they are hands down, my favorites. I've tried some of the other coated / treated strings, I keep coming back to these.

I do also like Cleartones, but the Nanowebs are my 1st choice. and they do last for a very very long time. In fact on one of them, I just changed them,, I track when I do the string change/ and fretboard treatment. I got about 13 months out of that set. They still sounded great.

I've used them and still would if I wasn't smitten by the Ernie Ball Cobalts!

They were my string of choice until I found the Cobalts...

I think the Elixirs have excellent, fantastic actually, tone output over most strings I've tried. They last a very long time too...

They're no more expensive than any of the top lines of the major manufacturers. All the good ones are going for approx. $10 per set and the standard lines are about half that...

The Cobalts are the same price as the Elixirs...

Polywebs for me too, on most everything except my fingerpickin' flattops that I've strung with DR Zebras that are an AE string both "steel" and "bronze" wrappings on the lower strings. I get 'em in 9-42 that are too light for most folks. They also last an awesome long time if you're not sweating on 'em. I also got a set of Polywebs acoustic string-at-a-time to get the 9-42 thing on my fingerpickin' flattops.

As for electrics, mostly polywebs 9-42, although I'm experimenting with some other stuff on one of the archtops and plan to do a bit more experimenting with a cobalt set and some diff flatwounds. The 8-38s my old Guild S100c has worn since new in the early/mid '70s used to be Guild brand, now Ernies' nickel.

Some folks are awfully hard on either nano or poly Elixirs; I think that's their technique, but we gotta do what we gotta do to play what and how we're determined to do and play.

Heck, I tell most flattop players that if they flatpick, don't even think about using my 9-42s, and that they may figure 10-46/48 are too light for flatpickin'.

Compared to when I started, we're in hog heaven when it comes to string choices.

m

My Taylor came with Elixir® nanoweb strings. They've been putting them on their guitars since 1999. They recently changed from 80/20 Bronze to Phosphor Bronze on most of their acoustics. I must admit that if these strings didn't come with the guitar then I probably would have never tried them. But I just love them and would never put anything else on my acoustics.

Archived