Gibson Brands Forums

Originals Only Thread

Jimi D-Bo

I'll start it off with a song I had just finished writing when this was taped. First though, Here's the original You Tuber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfm4HtcFDcg

I never wrote a song the way that I wrote I Was Only Dreamin'. I was dreaming that I was in a bar listening to a good song and saying to someone "who is this? Whose song IS that? Is it an Elvis song? No, wait that's MY song!" That realization shocked me out of dreamland's solid sleep. I immediately got out of bed and took a guitar out and started writing what I had just heard-in the dream. The song tells the (true) story of a relationship that I had and a girl who was cheating on me. Now that's not such an unusual case but as the song tells, I had a dream that she was cheating on me with this kid from my town and I WAS RIGHT-on both counts! The song starts out talking about when I first started playing the acoustic guitar and singing in front of audiences-which I did as soon as I learned a few songs. I was up there onstage every Tuesday night at The Celebration Playhouse in Cranford, New Jersey for their open mic nights. I wonder whatever happened to Jocelyn, the unfaithful girlfriend in this song....

OK, HERE is the finished home studio version of "I Was Only Dreamin'" and you can read what I wrote about it when you click on the PodOmatic site. It describes how the song started as the soundtrack to an early s having...

http://jimmyd-bo.podomatic.com/entry/2012-07-30T10_18_02-07_00

I hope you guys like it

I like it. Nice production. Growly voice. [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

I'll start it off with a song I had just finished writing when this was taped. First though, Here's the original You Tuber:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfm4HtcFDcg

I never wrote a song the way that I wrote I Was Only Dreamin'. I was dreaming that I was in a bar listening to a good song and saying to someone "who is this? Whose song IS that? Is it an Elvis song? No, wait that's MY song!" That realization shocked me out of dreamland's solid sleep. I immediately got out of bed and took a guitar out and started writing what I had just heard-in the dream. The song tells the (true) story of a relationship that I had and a girl who was cheating on me. Now that's not such an unusual case but as the song tells, I had a dream that she was cheating on me with this kid from my town and I WAS RIGHT-on both counts! The song starts out talking about when I first started playing the acoustic guitar and singing in front of audiences-which I did as soon as I learned a few songs. I was up there onstage every Tuesday night at The Celebration Playhouse in Cranford, New Jersey for their open mic nights. I wonder whatever happened to Jocelyn, the unfaithful girlfriend in this song....

You are really talented, Dude. Nice!

This is from a show a couple of years ago -- it is just a "jam" show, so it is a bit rough. My guitar is our 1935 Jumbo -- the Martin on the right is a 1937 D-18. The song is "Dixie Flyer."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht2xwyMquK8&feature=youtu.be

Here is one of my Daughter's original songs "Red Whiskey and Soldiers' Joy." The two women on the left are Kelly Moore and Tracy Barnwell, who make up the Houston based duo "Dead Girl Songs." The woman and man on the right are Kathleen Glauser and Robbie Smith, who make up the Nova Scotia folk duo "Naming the Twins." This is from an all acoustic joint house concert last summer. The guitar Kelly is playing is a 1944 J-45.

https://vimeo.com/album/235240/video/75036125

Let's pick,

-Tom

Here is the studio version of my original for the topic.

The lyrics and the music are mine.

Only one thing - the words are in bulgarian - my native language ...

The guitar solos are NOT played by be, but by a friend of mine gipsy musician (who yesterday got his first Gibson electric Les Paul Traditional)

So here is my song "Desert" written in 2003 (oh my, eleven years ago??? !!!) ...

Desert

Here is the studio version of my original for the topic.

The lyrics and the music are mine.

Only one thing - the words are in bulgarian - my native language ...

The guitar solos are NOT played by be, but by a friend of mine gipsy musician (who yesterday got his first Gibson electric Les Paul Traditional)

So here is my song "Desert" written in 2003 (oh my, eleven years ago??? !!!) ...

Desert

nice stuff Krasi

Loads of candy and strong t-bones here - just wish I could get Annes track goin'. . .

Let me see if I can record a bit of it; not too much, though. 'Lyrics have that funny C with the circle around it.

Looks a little like this:

ScreenShot2014-03-16at14950AM_zps7b97aa46.png

Sounds a little like this:

Anne S bounced off my cloud

Anne, let me know if this is ok- I thought you'd want Em7 to be able to hear some of it.

Anne, let me know if this is ok- I thought you'd want Em7 to be able to hear some of it.

Don't mind one bit- to the contrary. Thank you!

(I posted the link from my phone and will try from the desktop later.)

:)

Thanks, I love those guys. I would imagine you like John Cougar? I like yours too.

yea whenever people would ask me what my original stuff sounds like I would tell them that I'm in the ballpark with Seger, Mellencamp, Springsteen, Bryan Adams, Jackson Brown, John Prine-it's no insult to be compared, it's just people trying to relate to the sound.

Archived