Gibson Brands Forums

1941 Dealer Special 7

Sturob

Hey there,

Does anyone know much about, or know a good source of information about, Gibson archtops like this? I am interested in a 1941 "Dealer Special #3" L-7. I'm curious as to what might have been common specs for these guitars, how they might differ from "standard" L7s, how common they might be... What timbers were used...

You know, regular guitar geek stuff. Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Pics and text from Cotten Music.

That's from their Facebook entry on this guitar.

Wacky inlay. I have read what you're saying, that yes, they're from the early part of the war put together from bits they had around. I have done a lot of Googling and the most descriptive ad copy I've found about these instruments says they're "maple and Eastern spruce," which I assume refers to red spruce, but I could be wrong.

Every set of images I've seen has looked different, with the most distinctive feature being whatever crazy inlay they used on the FB. I also see that it is referred to as a dealer special No. 7, not L7, and I don't know if it's more L5 or L7 like (but I assume it leans in the L7 direction).

Over on the Martin forum, one member points to an image of Gibson-to-dealer information on this model, which you can peruse here.

Stuart

Translating via available inflation calculators, out of curiosity . . . that line about price would read:

"... that you can price under $1650." Dealer price works out to be $640 or so in 2014 US dollars.

Stuart

Archived