Gibson Brands Forums

95- 97 Jimmy Page Les Paul Standard

alexthegreat404

Hey everyone

In the next few years I want to buy the Les Paul of my dreams. I have really been drawn to the 90s Page models. I am a huge Zeppelin fan but the guitar has a lot of features I am looking for, particularly the switching system.

I don't see them mentioned much on here and wanted to know if any of you have one or have an opinion.

Thanks!

Hey everyone

In the next few years I want to buy the Les Paul of my dreams. I have really been drawn to the 90s Page models. I am a huge Zeppelin fan but the guitar has a lot of features I am looking for, particularly the switching system.

I don't see them mentioned much on here and wanted to know if any of you have one or have an opinion.

Thanks!

Damn man,.. how much do you have to spend on a guitar? :) Those Page models are REALLY expensive and were sold in limited numbers so I would be really surprised if you can still find any to buy? (not that I have looked)... His guitar in terms of wiring is very unusual (other people can tell you more about that)...

However, todays standards are more frilly than they used to be, they have coil splits and boost circuits and stuff..

BUT if you want an old school top class Les Paul and money is not an issue for you then I would certainly go for one of the Collectors choice guitars... EVERYTHING I have seen on them and read (and the few I have managed to demo) has just been first class in every way. Obviously if you want all those wiring options you can have a luthier do that for you.. But as a base for what you want I don't think you will get much better than that.

The 1995 Page Sig models are pretty sought-after by collectors and, unsurprisingly, are priced accordingly.

If you have the funds to spare then by all means chase one down through the usual routes.

Be aware that the Page Sig of 1995 wasn't actually that similar to Page's #1.

If you really want an accurate Gibson LP / Page #1 then you will have to try to find one of the 2004 run but these tend to be VERY expensive indeed; especially the first 25.

OTOH if what you want is a #1 look-alike with #1 electronics then life is easier and far less costly.

Just buy a likely-looking LP specimen and have the tricksy wiring added by a competent luthier.

FWIW - although as you probably already know - it was JP's #2 LP which had the under-p'guard twin-switch setup.

There is quite a lot of info on the wiring on the web.

Good luck hunting and let us know how you get on!

P.

p1_ud153elz2_ss.jpg

Hmmm......

It says in the ad 'Added Patriot Plastic'. What, exactly, does that mean?

The main features of that particular JP version were;

Push-pull coil-taps / phase knobs.

Gold hardware.

A 'Faded Cherry Sunburst finish'.

A facsimilie of a 'Jimmy Page' signature on the p'g.

A gold-engraved 'Limited Edition' TRC.

Without the last two items listed all you are getting, AFAIK, is a regular 'burst with gold hardware and trick switches.

Nor does it look to be a Faded Cherry Sunburst but these things must have varied a bit.

If , however, all the original items come with the instrument (the ad is a bit vague) then the asking price is pretty good.

P.

The 1995 Page Sig models are pretty sought-after by collectors and, unsurprisingly, are priced accordingly.

If you have the funds to spare then by all means chase one down through the usual routes.

Be aware that the Page Sig of 1995 wasn't actually that similar to Page's #1.

If you really want an accurate Gibson LP / Page #1 then you will have to try to find one of the 2004 run but these tend to be VERY expensive indeed; especially the first 25.

OTOH if what you want is a #1 look-alike with #1 electronics then life is easier and far less costly.

Just buy a likely-looking LP specimen and have the tricksy wiring added by a competent luthier.

FWIW - although as you probably already know - it was JP's #2 LP which had the under-p'guard twin-switch setup.

There is quite a lot of info on the wiring on the web.

Good luck hunting and let us know how you get on!

P.

Thanks guys! I won't be buying one for a few years, but I always like to start my guitar research a few years in advance when it is a serious purchase. I was looking at SJ 100s for about 4 years before I bought mine!

Anyways, I consistently find the Page Les Pauls for about 3- 4 thousand USD. It is a lot of money, but considering it is about 1-2k more than a traditional and standard, I really don't mind shelling out the extra money. Plus I love the idea of having one from a collecting point of view.

Archived