Gibson Brands Forums

J-15 volume?

DRC

I've heard that acoustically, the J-15 doesn't have the volume of the J-35. For those who have played or own both a J-35 and J-15, is that your experience? I have a J-35 and am considering a J-15 for a little different tone, but need good volume for Irish sessions I play acoustically with many other instruments. My J-35 is a special one, with excellent volume and handles sessions nicely. And I'm talking about volume when capoed anywhere up to to the 10th fret, not just when played open. The J-35 is excellent when capoed anywhere and I would need the same with a J-15. Unfortunately our GC doesn't sell any of the new J series.

DC

Get a used AJ if you want volume.

Thanks Euro. I mentioned in my post that my J-35 has plenty of volume for my needs. It's pretty loud. I recently had an AJ to compare with the J-35 and posted pis here not long ago. At first I liked it but the J-35 is better for my needs, so returned the AJ. Yes, the AJ had good volume but lacked the 'life' and brilliant mid articulation the J-35 has. And this is what I need when playing Irish music in DADGAD with other instruments. The J-35 is excellent on all counts.

I just spoke with a friend (good acoustic player) at the Nashville GC who said they just got a J-15 in and he had spent the past couple days comparing it with a J-35. He likes both but prefers the J-35, saying it has more punch, projection, more open sounding, and can handle more aggressive strumming. I bought my J-35 from him, so he's played it and said it's definitely the better guitar over the J-15. And I trust his judgement. So I'll most likely forget about a J-15 for now.

DC

I've never played gibson acoustic before but compare to my other guitars it not as loud.It come straight from the factory so its only a month old if that make a difference,I think most guitar you buy have been in warehouses 6 months and longer.

The J-15 I purchased is punchier than the one J-35 I've sampled,

but that's only based on one example of each.

Honestly, such comparisions should all be taken with a grain of salt,

and filed into the possibly-helpful-information hopper.

Play a couple more, and the results might be completely different.

Bob, that's so true. I was able to compare two J-35s and they couldn't have been more different, including looks, which I thought odd. On one, the headstock logo was angled up to the right, while on the other, the logo was straight across. The truss rod covers were different, as was the placement of the fretboard ends relative to the soundhole rosette. One sounded fantastic (the one I bought), while the other sounded more like a $200 laminate. I couldn't believe how different these two guitars were...both new.

DC

Bob, that's so true. I was able to compare two J-35s and they couldn't have been more different, including looks, which I thought odd. On one, the headstock logo was angled up to the right, while on the other, the logo was straight across. The truss rod covers were different, as was the placement of the fretboard ends relative to the soundhole rosette. One sounded fantastic (the one I bought), while the other sounded more like a $200 laminate. I couldn't believe how different these two guitars were...both new.

DC

Yes, it can be quite interesting when you get multiple samples of a given model in the same room!

Almost every time I've been fortunate enough to do a direct comparison, a very clear winner emerges.

I've had my J-15 for about 3-4 weeks now. It is about 6 weeks old.(born 29 Jan 14) I don't post much, but that doesn't mean I'm not diggin' my new guitar.

The "fit and Finish" is outstanding. The "feel" and "playability", I absolutely love. I love the tone too! This guitar doesn't seem to be real loud though. This is actually my first short scale guitar. It has made me a better player.

As much as I love my J-200 and Blues King, this one has gotten %100 of my attention since getting it. I'm no tone expert, but I like it.

Sorry to go on and on. But, I've seen on other threads that they think the J-15 craze has died down. Not with me, been busy playing it. To sum up, very nice guitar, sounds good, and all at a good price.

Slinky

Not played a J-15 but I guess I approach Gibsons with the feeling they were never the loudest guitars on the face of the planet. Full and round sounding while the best will have a percussive low end that no other guitar can touch but when it comes to pushing air not in the same league with something like a Westerly-made Guild D-55 or even a good Martin D-28.

My J35 IS LOUD.

Now I know that extracting the sound out of an expencive guitar is a different thing than out from a cheep Yamaha acoustic.

And extracting the sound out of a J35 is easy (as out from a cheep Yamaha)...

And IT IS LOUD ... !

I have never played a J15 and everything I know about the sound is from internet samples.

I think now (without playing yet on it) that if I had the possibility now I'd get the J15 and not the J35

There is something thinny in my J35... Like there is some tin can inside (in the second string area!) ...

I sent it (the J35) to my luthier today - to change the tusk saddle&nut with some good bone ones and will expect to hear the difference...

And yes: I really DON'T LIKE the "L.R.Baggs" inside - sounds ugly to me plugged in. The acoustic sound is much-much better than the electric...

My J35 IS LOUD.

I really DON'T LIKE the "L.R.Baggs" inside - sounds ugly to me plugged in. The acoustic sound is much-much better than the electric...

My J-35 has great volume and projection, and handles aggressive strumming with ease while maintaining a strong, clear tone. Also great for fingerstyle and softer playing. Really good balance with a nice strong bass response. It can be sweet or it can growl. I'm getting absolutely no tinny sounds and every string response is solid, whether played open or capoed. Overall tone is rich and strong with excellent clarity and bright overtones, but not too bright...definitely not Taylor bright. This J-35 is among the best guitars I've owned.

I agree... the Baggs Element is a poor choice and will be replacing it soon. At that time, I'll make a new bone saddle.

DC

I use mediums on my J15 and it has plenty of volume. I also swapped out the tusq saddle for bone and plastic pins for bone. I have been working it in some bluegrass sets and it has worked out fine. My main acoustic however for most of our sets is my D28 but the J15 has enough volume to handle anything I have tried so far.

Archived