Gibson Brands Forums

Anything Special in the 2014 line up for J200s?

slimt

beings we get the run of the mill Guitars up here in Canada.. not much in the way for special editions , Limited run Fancy Gibsons.. anything out there worth Grabbing? Not interested in Signiture models.. are there any Luthiers choice Guitars being made? anything with Madagascar? or Brazilians?

The Gibson Pages dont really give much in the way of Cooler Guitars other than the standard production Runs..

From what i've read it's questionable if they're going to actually release it but...

Bob Dylan Signature SJ-200

GibsonDylan3-620-80.jpg

The beautifully ornate J-200 is the result of a collaboration between Gibson and Dylan, that will result in 120 examples, all signed by Dylan himself.

In addition there will be 300 non-signed, less ornate versions at a lower price point with an engraved (not inlayed) pickguard. Prices and availability are unconfirmed at present, but this is certain to be a much sought-after guitar.

This one is owned by the Bob Dylan Corporation (and therefore presumably Bob himself) hence the ‘do not touch’ status. Want one? You’d better go and talk nicely to your local Gibson dealer: demand will be high, whatever the price.

beings we get the run of the mill Guitars up here in Canada.. not much in the way for special editions , Limited run Fancy Gibsons.. anything out there worth Grabbing? Not interested in Signiture models.. are there any Luthiers choice Guitars being made? anything with Madagascar? or Brazilians?

The Gibson Pages dont really give much in the way of Cooler Guitars other than the standard production Runs..

I beg to differ about "run of the mill" guitars up here in Canada. Canada is a big place. Here in Calgary we have three Long&McQuade stores and L&M is the national importer of Gibson. Anything that come into Canada from Gibson is imported by Yorkville Sound in Toronto (Long & McQuade). There are 60 locations of Long & McQuade from BC to Newfoundland (15 in BC and 9 in Alberta). If you have a guitar store other than Long &McQuade in your town and they are a Gibson dealer, whatever stock they have will have come through Yorkville Sound. So if there is a J200 you like in the L&M in Halifax but no where else in the country, you have have your L&M or your local Gibson dealer get it delivered from the Halifax L&M.

L&M also carries Martin, Taylor, Fender, Godin (Seagull, A&L, LaPatrie, Norman, Simon & Patrick), Gretsch, Larrivee, Ovation, Yamaha.

I just purchased a brand-new Martin 000-17sm at my L&M. I didn't order it or even know Martin had such a model. It was hanging on the wall in the acoustic room with a huge variety of other guitars.

Here I am in the acoustic room surrounded (in the photo) with Larrivee, Martin and Taylor.

douginlongmcquade.jpg

If you want boutique acoustics, I would suggest looking into Morgan Guitars handmade by David Ionone of Vancouver.

I beg to differ about "run of the mill" guitars up here in Canada. Canada is a big place. Here in Calgary we have three Long&McQuade stores and L&M is the national importer of Gibson. Anything that come into Canada from Gibson is imported by Yorkville Sound in Toronto (Long & McQuade). There are 60 locations of Long & McQuade from BC to Newfoundland (15 in BC and 9 in Alberta). If you have a guitar store other than Long &McQuade in your town and they are a Gibson dealer, whatever stock they have will have come through Yorkville Sound. So if there is a J200 you like in the L&M in Halifax but no where else in the country, you have have your L&M or your local Gibson dealer get it delivered from the Halifax L&M.

L&M also carries Martin, Taylor, Fender, Godin (Seagull, A&L, LaPatrie, Norman, Simon & Patrick), Gretsch, Larrivee, Ovation, Yamaha.

I just purchased a brand-new Martin 000-17sm at my L&M. I didn't order it or even know Martin had such a model. It was hanging on the wall in the acoustic room with a huge variety of other guitars.

Here I am in the acoustic room surrounded (in the photo) with Larrivee, Martin and Taylor.

douginlongmcquade.jpg

If you want boutique acoustics, I would suggest looking into Morgan Guitars handmade by David Ionone of Vancouver.

Long and Mc quade only offers the main catalog guitars.. Nothing in the computors ever shows specialty Gibsons at L&M .. they only order what they think will sell, Im very familar with L &M . also, L&M will not bring in High end guitars unless they are special ordered... and most of the time if I see something of interest out side of Canada... it takes a while for them to research those guitars.. as for Larrivee or morgan .. those just suck.. had many, Not interested..

From what i've read it's questionable if they're going to actually release it but...

Bob Dylan Signature SJ-200

GibsonDylan3-620-80.jpg

The beautifully ornate J-200 is the result of a collaboration between Gibson and Dylan, that will result in 120 examples, all signed by Dylan himself.

In addition there will be 300 non-signed, less ornate versions at a lower price point with an engraved (not inlayed) pickguard. Prices and availability are unconfirmed at present, but this is certain to be a much sought-after guitar.

This one is owned by the Bob Dylan Corporation (and therefore presumably Bob himself) hence the ‘do not touch’ status. Want one? You’d better go and talk nicely to your local Gibson dealer: demand will be high, whatever the price.

That looks nice.. I see the body is based off the Western Classic.. which is not to shabby..

Long and Mc quade only offers the main catalog guitars.. Nothing in the computors ever shows specialty Gibsons at L&M .. they only order what they think will sell, Im very familar with L &M . also, L&M will not bring in High end guitars unless they are special ordered... and most of the time if I see something of interest out side of Canada... it takes a while for them to research those guitars.. as for Larrivee.. those just suck.. had many, Not interested..

Well that just answers your question doesn't it? Commercial outlets will sell to volume. However, I have seen some high end Gibsons at L&M in the past (a Gibson Dove DIF in particular) so they will get the odd special acoustic now and then. If you want to see high-end or special edition Gibsons, Long & McQuade is still the Gibson dealer for Canada. They do have a great policy that if you have a guitar ordered and brought to you, you have 30 days to play it. If you don't like it, you can return it for full refund... no restocking fee. Try before you buy.

Nothing against the stores as I cannot have any kind of a valid opinion of a place I have never even walked into (I have also never been in a GC) but the big chains just conjure up visions of Blockbuster Video and Sound Warehouse in my mind. While working my way through a PH.D. program I lost a good job managing a small indie music/video store when it was shuttered after a Blockbuster opened in the neighborhood and the local Sound Warehouse went after us for selling "import" CDs.

Archived