Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's new fret style

uncle mud

I'm wondering how some of you out there feel about the new fret style that Gibson is using that gets rid of the "nub" at the end of the fret that is part of the binding, and just runs the fret to the edge of the fretboard. I apologize if this is a worn out subject, but I just noticed this.

It does not make much of a difference to me. Playability-wise, I've got guitars without nibs, and as long as the frets are set/dressed well there's no way to tell the difference.

If there's any downside to it, it's one less feature that will no longer be there to help spot fakes.

Not having nibs is likely a cost cutting measure. Gibson's costs are going the same direction as every other company: up, so they're looking for ways to reduce costs just like every other company. I do hope that the nibs continue on Custom Shop models, though.

Playability, or not...I'd much prefer Gibson sticking with the "nibs"...old fashioned or not!

They have some great Epiphones, for the other. I hate to see them (more and more) "Epiphone"

the Gibson USA brand. They could cut costs, by eliminating so many similar models (especially

in the "Les Paul" line)! How many Les Paul "Standard" varieties, do we really need? It's like

Fender has done, to the "Strat" line. [tongue]:rolleyes:

But, that's just me...

CB

Playability, or not...I'd much prefer Gibson sticking with the "nibs"...old fashioned or not!

They have some great Epiphones, for the other. I hate to see them (more and more) "Epiphone"

the Gibson USA brand. They could cut costs, by eliminating so many similar models (especially

in the "Les Paul" line)! How many Les Paul "Standard" varieties, do we really need? It's like

Fender has done, to the "Strat" line. [tongue]:rolleyes:

But, that's just me...

CB

Well said!

nibs were a nice little "extra" that used to be used, but realistically never stopped the sale of probably millions of counterfeit Glibsons worldwide to the unknowing/uncareing masses.

ending their use also didn't prevent any price increases as there have been 2 in what, 18 months now? so it was solely to increase bottom line profits not "keep retail costs down" as Pinocchio stated a while back.

considering that only 2 of my 20+ guitars have nibs, I couldn't care less whether they have them or not.

but the skyrocketing prices and lack of GOOD lower priced Gibsons is why i've not purchased a new one since 8/10.

paying more for less, just isn't my mantra.

I actually like to have more playing surface (even if it's just a little extra), but I still think it's a cost cutting measure. They have had those nibs for so long and now they decide they are going to take them away? Why now?

Gibson is cutting more and more corners on so many of its models especially on finishes (a lot less gloss finishes) and I think they are just asking us to expect less for the same or or higher prices.

My 2014 Traditional has nibs... but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if it didn't. I actually like the idea of more playing surface. And I do like the fact that Gibson now cryogenically treats the frets. I believe this is an improvement. I don't agree with everything they do... but you can't please everybody all the time. I love my Gibsons and can see where the guys are really trying to improve things and please the market. For those of us stuck in our ways... we have customs and Traditionals, and the used market to look to. My biggest gripe with Gibson is the fact that a LOT of other guitar companies have killer tops on their guitars for less than what we pay for our Les Pauls. You would think for 2600-2800 bucks we would get premium wood on our tops.

This is going to be an ugly statement to some folks, but I DO wish Gibson would use a more durable finish on their guitars. I scratch the darned things with my very short, filed fingernails just turning the knobs. My new trad has buckle rash (worm trails) and has never been played while wearing buttons, rivets, or a belt... go figure! Almost makes me suspect someone is farting with my trad when I am not around... but it is just me and the wife here.

My biggest gripe with Gibson is the fact that a LOT of other guitar companies have killer tops on their guitars for less than what we pay for our Les Pauls. You would think for 2600-2800 bucks we would get premium wood on our tops.

I have to agree with this......I'm not a big worn/faded/satin guy....I like gloss.

I checked out a DBZ guitar and was blown away by the finish and wood/binding, etc.......I too don't understand why they can't put a decent gloss on these for reasonable money.

NHTom

I DO wish Gibson would use a more durable finish on their guitars. I scratch the darned things with my very short, filed fingernails just turning the knobs. My new trad has buckle rash (worm trails) and has never been played while wearing buttons, rivets, or a belt... go figure! Almost makes me suspect someone is farting with my trad when I am not around... but it is just me and the wife here.

That would be the end of Nitro.. But I don't disagree...

nitro seems to take an eternity to actually "cure" properly, if ever........

My 2014 Traditional has nibs... but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker if it didn't. I actually like the idea of more playing surface. And I do like the fact that Gibson now cryogenically treats the frets. I believe this is an improvement. I don't agree with everything they do... but you can't please everybody all the time. I love my Gibsons and can see where the guys are really trying to improve things and please the market. For those of us stuck in our ways... we have customs and Traditionals, and the used market to look to. My biggest gripe with Gibson is the fact that a LOT of other guitar companies have killer tops on their guitars for less than what we pay for our Les Pauls. You would think for 2600-2800 bucks we would get premium wood on our tops.

This is going to be an ugly statement to some folks, but I DO wish Gibson would use a more durable finish on their guitars. I scratch the darned things with my very short, filed fingernails just turning the knobs. My new trad has buckle rash (worm trails) and has never been played while wearing buttons, rivets, or a belt... go figure! Almost makes me suspect someone is farting with my trad when I am not around... but it is just me and the wife here.

There are no worm trails on the backs of my nitro finished Gibsons. As for the fingernail caused knob problem, I addressed it using Speed Knobs exclusively by retrofitting guitars featuring different ones from the start. I do this on "pure" pots for rotating only as well as, even of higher importance, on push/pull pots. Pulling these using top hat knobs will require supporting the fingertips on the top while grasping the knobs from under their lower edges. Speed Knobs allow pulling without touching the finish, and they are much easier to handle when holding a flatpick at the same time.

I'm wondering how some of you out there feel about the new fret style

I hate the new style. I had my 2011 LPCC frets dressed down to .035 because I never got used

to having such huge frets. It's like playing on railroad ties.

Give me the old flat wide fretless wonder style any day.

Nibs?? I could care less.

My biggest gripe with Gibson is the fact that a LOT of other guitar companies have killer tops on their guitars for less than what we pay for our Les Pauls. You would think for 2600-2800 bucks we would get premium wood on our tops.

It all depends on whether it's a genuine maple cap or just a veneer...I've seen some fantastic looking ''tops''....but take the pickups out and ..look!...it's a wafer thin veneer.....

On some things, I'm truly an old "Luddite!"[angry] I want my Gibson's, that have

fretboard binding, to have the traditional "nubs!"[cursing] Otherwise I'd

buy an Epiphone! Or, just an unbound fingerboard model, like a Studio, or Special.

Epi's get better and better, and Gibson seems to be going "cheaper and cheaper," yet...

with higher and higher prices. WTF?!! [unsure]

CB

I prefer the fret over binding. And, FWIW it takes more labor to fret this way. Imagine the time it takes to under cut each fret tang then install on the bound board, then cut and dress each fret. When you are not under cutting the fret tang, you measure to width, cut, and insert. File the extra binding between the frets flush, and dress the easier softer binding nib. I spoke with a few Luthier friends of mine, and all of them indicated it is more labor intensive to fret over binding.

And, I am pretty sure Gibson installs the frets first, cuts each fret, then installs the binding last. With a final filing to level the binding with the fretboard. Explains all of the people with cracks in the binding where the fret tang is.

I recently purchased a new 2013 SG Standard; nibs and all. I had been playing a faded Flying V, no binding, for the past few years. They are different; I found myself pulling the high e string off the fret board at first on the SG, so there is less fret to work with. However, I'm old, so I guess I like the binding up over the fret, it does feel smoother to the hand. I'm sure it will be less of an issue to younger players and first time Gibson owners.

I recently purchased a new 2013 SG Standard; nibs and all. I had been playing a faded Flying V, no binding, for the past few years. They are different; I found myself pulling the high e string off the fret board at first on the SG, so there is less fret to work with. However, I'm old, so I guess I like the binding up over the fret, it does feel smoother to the hand. I'm sure it will be less of an issue to younger players and first time Gibson owners.

I had to stop pulling on my high string because it always goes off the neck even if there is no binding. That's been a problem on Fender guitars for years.

My Y2K Deluxe LE had a bad nitro finish on the neck. I don't think it ever cured properly and always gummed-up on me when I played, especially if it was hot and I was perspiring...

I finally got fed up with it because I play my guitars and don't just look at them so I tried the trick you can do with the harder finishes such as Urethane etc. by sanding them satin with 3m Scotchbrite or synthetic steel wool. It worked but only for painfully short times like 1 performance worth before starting to gum up again requiring the process be repeated...

I couldn't take it any more and wanted it in forget-it status and refinished the neck with a Urethane coat on the neck...

I messed it up pretty good by leaving it in direct sunlight to dry instead of in the shade and it's a tiny bit orange peeled and the harsh edges where the masking tape started to melt from the high heat in the sunlight is annoying as hell to my eye, but the feel is actually great and it doesn't gum up anymore and plays great... But I can be an anally-retentive OCD suffering ***** when it comes to my guitars so I'm going to put another coat of Urethane on the neck this year and this time I won't mask off the binding on the edge and only mask it off on the surface of the fretboard so that any transition edge will be on the actual corner instead of the side of the neck... And I won't be doing it in direct sunlight again either...

I suspect it'll come out much better looking this time around!

Like I said if feels great now and plays great, but I don't like that visible line of the finish I left due to my ignorance... Live and learn, I'm never gonna sell that one so it's not something I worry about...

I'm also in the no-nibs = not-Gibson camp. They can, and already do, do that with the Epiphones. I want a Gibson, not an Epiphone if I buy a Gibson!

Granted I've played some Epiphones that were stunning and even exceptional. I also completely love my Vintage brand V100 Les Paul copies, they are a fret-over-binding style, (no nibs) but the Gibsons have nibs and that's the way it should be!

Archived