Gibson Brands Forums

HELP, spot this gibson fake or genuine

mbastosbatera

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Farnsbarns

Clearly fake. Don't ask me why, I won't be detailing it on here, but this guitar shows all the classic tell tails of a fake. A quick Google of "how to spot a fake les paul" should get you most of the answers you might need if you want to know why it's so obviously fake.

Clearly fake. Don't ask me why, I won't be detailing it on here, but this guitar shows all the classic tell tails of a fake. A quick Google of "how to spot a fake les paul" should get you most of the answers you might need if you want to know why it's so obviously fake.

Yep...it's a ''dud''.....that's why I was trying to ''coax'' more out of him..........what better way for the ''crimbos'' to test out their latest ''runs'' than on here...

His reply is ''iffy'' as well...

But the neck is angled and made with a single piece of wood, not straight like the fake one... 2 screws bell sign.. the border lines finish are perfect... is a kind strange doesnt match with the fake specs.

But the neck is angled and made with a single piece of wood, not straight like the fake one... 2 screws bell sign.. the border lines finish are perfect... is a kind strange doesnt match with the fake specs.

You know what? YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!

Go on. Buy it.

P.

Well, we're not here to detail exactly what the counterfeiters need to do to improve their products nor to give fraudsters an easier time selling their crap.

You've been told quite a few times by people here that it's a fake. But what do we know, eh? We're just a bunch of guitarists who own, play and love Les Pauls.

That thing is a pile of shite. Believe us or not - it's up to you. I, for one, really couldn't care less.

But if you hang around here trying to convince / argue with folks that it's real or else to offer up detailed info then we will get suspicious about your intentions rather quickly.

P.

Where is it advertised?

or where is it for sale...

Is from a person who i know, not online

Whats the specs on this how much is he asking for it, what year is it?

is about 1500U$, with case, maple finger, year 2000

Well, we're not here to detail exactly what the counterfeiters need to do to improve their products nor to give fraudsters an easier time selling their crap.

You've been told quite a few times by people here that it's a fake. But what do we know, eh? We're just a bunch of guitarists who own, play and love Les Pauls.

That thing is a pile of shite. Believe us or not - it's up to you. I, for one, really couldn't care less.

But if you hang around here trying to convince / argue with folks that it's real or else to offer up detailed info then we will get suspicious about your intentions rather quickly.

P.

I have no intentions about nothing, already buy that... im a drummer for 12 years starting to play guitar now, I just want to have a good quality instrument to start

P.

I just want to know if I got cheated with this, because he told me is a genuine and I believed that

pippy, i think our friend here is trying to understand why it is a fake. In his/her experience it looks authentic and he/she sees no signs of a fake. You say its a fake and I'm sure he (for simplicity's sake) believes you, but i think he's only asking for details about how its a fake. I don't think he's trying to prove its authentic or anything such thing.

(My friend mbastosbatera, please correct me if i am wrong.)

To be honest when i saw it i didn't identify it as a fake, just that it looked a bit terrible IMO.

pippy, i think our friend here is trying to understand why it is a fake. In his/her experience it looks authentic and he/she sees no signs of a fake. You say its a fake and I'm sure he (for simplicity's sake) believes you, but i think he's only asking for details about how its a fake. I don't think he's trying to prove its authentic or anything such thing.

(My friend mbastosbatera, please correct me if i am wrong.)

To be honest when i saw it i didn't identify it as a fake, just that it looked a bit terrible IMO.

You bet

And if anyone would be so kind as to ACTUALLY TELL US why it is a fake that would b great.

Like mbastos said one of the telltale signs at least that i know of is the TRC but that seems fine to me but noobs like me can't identify a fake LP for scrap.

GO to Google or Ebay... Ebay has excellent links to FAKES and great articles with pinpoint pictures etc.. THE serial number shows it was made in NASHVILLE production run 161 in 2010

GOOGLE LES PAUL FAKES you will find some excellent write ups *)o(*

WHEN in DOUBT DON'T.. I have seen too many people ripped off purchasing from CHINA or dealers at EBAY that are new or have changed names several times etc.. CHECK IT all out nothing like having a guitar you hate and reminds you everytime you pick it up just what a bad decision you made *)o(*

OK.

Here's the peghead of a genuine LP Custom to compare with the peghead of your 'Les Paul Custom';

8923f331-beee-42d1-93df-c6bd482faba7_zps9e5a7e63.jpgIMG_1723.jpg

Look at the shapes of....well, pretty much everything there. All the proportions - without exception - are wrong.

And that's just the peghead...

The 'Accurate' Chinese fakes cost around $270 including shipping. That thing isn't worth $20 - not even for the parts alone.

Report the seller to the authorities. Dealing in counterfeit products is a crime.

P.

OK.

Here's the peghead of a genuine LP Custom to compare with the peghead of your 'Les Paul Custom';

8923f331-beee-42d1-93df-c6bd482faba7_zps9e5a7e63.jpgIMG_1723.jpg

Look at the shapes of....well, pretty much everything there. All the proportions - without exception - are wrong.

And that's just the peghead...

The 'Accurate' Chinese fakes cost around $270 including shipping. That thing isn't worth $20 - not even for the parts alone.

P.

Thanks for information, I lost a good money on this ****...

Why don't you hang around the forum.....Go get your money back and we'll help you find a good deal somewhere for a GENUINE GIBSON......what country are you in? (will help us narrow down the search,so to speak)

Some top quality Gibsons went for well under a grand on E-bay lately..........we''ll actually save you money (less commission of course).........better than being ripped off. [biggrin] .

Why don't you hang around the forum.....Go get your money back and we'll help you find a good deal somewhere for a GENUINE GIBSON......what country are you in? (will help us narrow down the search,so to speak)

Some top quality Gibsons went for well under a grand on E-bay lately..........we''ll actually save you money (less commission of course).........better than being ripped off. [biggrin] .

I really dont know if i can got my money back, i ll ask the person but, im from brazil and here the genuines cost more than 180% of the original price. Maybe i ll go tour USA this year and if i have money i ll try to get one.

...Is from a person who i know...

...he told me is a genuine and I believed that...

...I lost a good money on this...

...I really dont know if i can got my money back, i ll ask the person...

OK, in the first instance you could ask the person for your money back.

If the person refuses then report him to the police. He has commited an act of fraud.

He has, in effect, stolen circa $1,500 US from you. He is a thief - pure and simple - and the police will deal with him in an appropriate manner.

And you will get your money back.

P.

I really dont know if i can got my money back, i ll ask the person but, im from brazil and here the genuines cost more than 180% of the original price. Maybe i ll go tour USA this year and if i have money i ll try to get one.

What made you question it's authenticity AFTER you had bought it?...you were obviously happy enough WHEN you bought it,....what set the alarm bells ringing?....

If you genuinely have been ''ripped'' off and can't get your money back :( .....I feel for you...

You say it's from a person you KNOW ... .....surely a ''friend'' will give you your money back? (If a ''friend'' tried that with me i'd kneecap the git)

Good Luck.

OK, in the first instance you could ask the person for your money back.

If the person refuses then report him to the police. He has commited an act of fraud.

He has, in effect, stolen circa $1,500 US from you. He is a thief - pure and simple - and the police will deal with him in an appropriate manner.

And you will get your money back.

P.

Here in Brazil the police service is the worst ever, I ll try my best but anyway I ll try to study on this guitar and work honestly to get money to buy a good guitar, not like these people.

Archived