Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mbastosbatera

HELP, spot this gibson fake or genuine

What made you question it's authenticity AFTER you had bought it?...you were obviously happy enough WHEN you bought it,....what set the alarm bells ringing?....

If you genuinely have been ''ripped'' off and can't get your money back :( .....I feel for you...

You say it's from a person you KNOW ... .....surely a ''friend'' will give you your money back? (If a ''friend'' tried that with me i'd kneecap the git)

Good Luck.

Yeah but I haven't the knowledge about fake gibsons when I bought, I ll call that person and try to recover my money or something like that. But If he dont want to give me back, I ll just keep going... thanks for the words

;;;;;;;;;;;;;, I ll try my best but anyway I ll try to study on this guitar and work honestly to get money to buy a good guitar, not like these people.

Again if this is the ''truth'' my heart bleeds for you....find a good Luthier and ask him to do his best to get it playing as well as he can...(replace that nut!),....I can hardly say happy 'pickin...but you know what I mean.

Sorry for you, Mbastosbatera, it is clearly faked. Good luck for getting your money back. Sad to hear that the police doesn't have interest in pursuing this kind of fraud but I guess legal prosecution wouldn't be much easier here in Germany.

It is always better to take care before buying.

If they told you it was a Gibson Custom shop and sold it to you, they get be sued for selling counterfeit merchandise. Not sure what part of the world you live in but find out any laws about people selling fake merchandise. Call Gibson, they might be able to help.

Good luck, sorry this happened to you. I know the feeling of being scammed by low life individuals that take advantage of innocent people. That's why the word "Trust" is so hard to believe in.

Guest Farnsbarns

And if anyone would be so kind as to ACTUALLY TELL US why it is a fake that would b great.

Like mbastos said one of the telltale signs at least that i know of is the TRC but that seems fine to me but noobs like me can't identify a fake LP for scrap.

Since my suggestion to Google has fallen on deaf ears, I'll go one step further for you....

http://bit.ly/1gGokfE

What you won't know is that a number of very shady characters come on here either trying to add credibility to a fake they're selling or to find out how to make better fakes. Hence the lack of solid information. It would take anyone with a modicom of intelligence a few seconds to find a number of points on this guitar which only ever appear on fakes.

It might seem unfriendly but how do we know who we're dealing with. Google is his friend. Something must have triggered the thought that it was fake and despite being asked the question hasn't been answered. Suspicious flag #1. Why can't he Google "how to spot a fake les paul" as suggested, suspicious flag #2. I'm not saying I think his intentions are bad, simply that we don't know they aren't.

Since my suggestion to Google has fallen on deaf ears, I'll go one step further for you....

http://bit.ly/1gGokfE

What you won't know is that a number of very shady characters come on here either trying to add credibility to a fake they're selling or to find out how to make better fakes. Hence the lack of solid information. It would take anyone with a modicom of intelligence a few seconds to find a number of points on this guitar which only ever appear on fakes.

It might seem unfriendly but how do we know who we're dealing with. Google is his friend. Something must have triggered the thought that it was fake and despite being asked the question hasn't been answered. Suspicious flag #1. Why can't he Google "how to spot a fake les paul" as suggested, suspicious flag #2. I'm not saying I think his intentions are bad, simply that we don't know they aren't.

But seriously. The guy bought a fake Les Paul. Who cares? Really. Seriously. If the buyer didn't find out before dropping whatever money on it, who cares? Do you guys hang out in front of Marshalls and TJMaxx making sure the kids that do nails for a living actually get a real Dolce and Gabbana purse for 30 dollars? Because they are getting a fake for 30 dollars, just as most of the people that buy a fake Les Paul get what they paid for it.

So seriously, who cares? And why?

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

I don't care at all, just explaining why I'm not listing the specific issues because I was asked why. The fakes are getting very convincing (not this one) and I'm sure that's because of the feedback they get. I'm not providing it, you feel free if you like. This guy is probably genuine and if he clicks my link he'll find 18 million results that'll answer his questions (in this case, with this terrible fake).

I don't care at all, just explaining why I'm not listing the specific issues because I was asked why. The fakes are getting very convincing (not this one) and I'm sure that's because of the feedback they get. I'm not providing it, you feel free if you like. This guy is probably genuine and if he clicks my link he'll find 18 million results that'll answer his questions (in this case, with this terrible fake).

I have no feedback to provide, I can't alter their guitar making anymore than just looking closer at the pictures or at the real things, that's all they have to do. I don't care if they make fake guitars really really good or really really horrible. I've never been offered one for sale, nobody in my family or friends or anyone I know has ever shown me one and asked me to apply my giant guitar brain to it, nor have I seen one in a pawn or second hand shop. I don't go places where they sell them, so I don't care. Just wonder why others do is all.

rct

Guest Farnsbarns

I have no feedback to provide, I can't alter their guitar making anymore than just looking closer at the pictures or at the real things, that's all they have to do. I don't care if they make fake guitars really really good or really really horrible. I've never been offered one for sale, nobody in my family or friends or anyone I know has ever shown me one and asked me to apply my giant guitar brain to it, nor have I seen one in a pawn or second hand shop. I don't go places where they sell them, so I don't care. Just wonder why others do is all.

rct

Well, it's a reasonable stance, I just don't share it. When the fakes become hard to spot the second hand market becomes a dangerous game. Each to their own, of course.

Without wishing to flog this poor dead horse much further...

In addition to the suspicious points raised by Farns in post #31 I'd add that here we have a drummer splashing out $1,500 for a guitar he doesn't know from firewood and he's buying it from a source which he knows to be disreputable and unlikely to offer a refund.

Caveat Emptor as we 13-y-o Latins used to say in third year at secondary school.

P.

... I'd add that here we have a drummer splashing out $1,500 for a guitar he doesn't know from firewood and he's buying it from a source which he knows to be disreputable and unlikely to offer a refund.

Caveat Emptor as we 13-y-o Latins used to say in third year at secondary school.

P.

[thumbup]

Like I posted above, quoting myself: It is always better to take care before buying.

There are lots of things one has to be aware of to beware of. Besides faked products, faked mileages of used cars come to my mind.

Without wishing to flog this poor dead horse much further...

In addition to the suspicious points raised by Farns in post #31 I'd add that here we have a drummer splashing out $1,500 for a guitar he doesn't know from firewood and he's buying it from a source which he knows to be disreputable and unlikely to offer a refund.

P.

Crossed my mind too, Pippy. Recently bought my first Les Paul, then my second, and both were 'boy I waited a long time for this moment' purchases. So I bought new, from a reputable source. I considered eBay etc (who doesn't, when money is tight?) but only for a moment. To the majority of us, buying a Gibson is a big deal, and if something looks too goood to be true...well, you know the score.

You guys with the idea that you shouldn't tell anybody how to spot a fake 'cause it's a big secret. [laugh] That's pretty funny.

And you guys who are from Jebrew but you're an expert on Brazilian law. And you learned all this stuff by the time you were ten years old. Yeah - I took Brazilian law in second grade too. Plus, I'm an astronaut.

The guy comes on here for advice and two seconds later a bunch of smarmy know-it-alls are all over the guy telling him what a dope he is. Why don't you guys go make out with yourselves or something. [laugh]

You guys with the idea that you shouldn't tell anybody how to spot a fake 'cause it's a big secret. [laugh] That's pretty funny.

And you guys who are from Jebrew but you're an expert on Brazilian law. And you learned all this stuff by the time you were ten years old. Yeah - I took Brazilian law in second grade too. Plus, I'm an astronaut.

The guy comes on here for advice and two seconds later a bunch of smarmy know-it-alls are all over the guy telling him what a dope he is. Why don't you guys go make out with yourselves or something. [laugh]

Fair points. Hard to tell sometimes when someone is a genuine guy with a hard-luck story or is up to no good. He's a drummer, so he's already a hard-luck story... [biggrin] We should probably assume the former, until instinct (or our NASA training) suggests otherwise.

Thank you.

My thinking is.. if the counterfeiters wanted to copy a guitar, they buy one measure it and program their CNC machines, they won't come looking on a guitar owner forum.

I don't believe you.

Astronauts don't whine as much as that.

[laugh]

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

To be fair, no one has been smarmy, or a know it all, just answered his question and chose not to give details why. When that was questioned by someone else I explained my thinking, perfectly politely, and expressed that the OP is probably genuine IMO. Seems reasonable.

Drinking at lunchtime is a bad habit! [lol]

He came on here and asked for help....he got help....indeed he is still getting help.........the only ''smarmy'' thing about this thread are the ''smarmy dopes'' who ''jump'' in a thread AND offer NO help.

He came on here and asked for help....he got help....indeed he is still getting help.........the only ''smarmy'' thing about this thread are the ''smarmy dopes'' who ''jump'' in a thread AND offer NO help.

That!!!

He did get help, immediately! He was given directions on where to find all the information he sought at his fingertips with illustrations, dimensions, testimony, and corroborating duplication of the testimony by multiple sources...

"noise" removed for reasons of taste... But like I said, this guy was a victim of a crime and to just blow that off flies in the face of responsible consumerism and the byproduct/fallout of pirating and counterfeiting!

Thanks Pauloon & Pippy for being a voice of reason in the BS...

for me;

I have learnt a lot from this forum on pointing out why fakes are fakes to the point where I can now spot them pretty much of the time a fake (yes I miss some details from time to time)

but this "knowledge" has been garnered from years of reading and looking.

you get a little hint here, a little glimpse there, and only from time to time will someone point out most of the mistakes of a particular guitar.

I still can not spot a fake Strat.

it takes a lot of time and reading here to figure this all out.

sometimes we just need a 'quick fix'

as I stated above, if a counterfeiter wanted to fake a Gibson (or anything for that matter) they just need to buy one measure it and program their CNC's .