Gibson Brands Forums

HELP, spot this gibson fake or genuine

mbastosbatera

for me;

I have learnt a lot from this forum on pointing out why fakes are fakes to the point where I can now spot them pretty much of the time a fake (yes I miss some details from time to time)

but this "knowledge" has been garnered from years of reading and looking.

you get a little hint here, a little glimpse there, and only from time to time will someone point out most of the mistakes of a particular guitar.

I still can not spot a fake Strat.

it takes a lot of time and reading here to figure this all out.

sometimes we just need a 'quick fix'

as I stated above, if a counterfeiter wanted to fake a Gibson (or anything for that matter) they just need to buy one measure it and program their CNC's .

Yes, Eracer, you are pretty much spot-on in everything you say here.

Taking your points in order;

I, too, learned how to spot fakes here from those who knew better than I.

Sometimes one person will point out most of the 'mistakes'. After I knew what to look for I used to do it all the time. It became something of a challenge. Immature of me, I know.

Since 1980 until the present (although not all at the same time!) I've owned a selection of Strats which have covered every decade from the '50s to the '10s and I wouldn't be able to tell a good fake from the real thing. This is mainly because in comaprison with a Les Paul Standard, say, the Strat is such a very basic design from the tooling point of view that nothing about making one is tricky. Rabs could probably knock one out in a week....

It takes a bit of time and reading to know what to look for in a fake LP but, once you know what to look for, you'll never be fooled again except by an expert job. To whit...

A book I bought in 1976 was discussing how - even then! - many unscrupulous luthiers were turning their hands to re-creating '58 - '60 Standards using recent LPs as a base. 40 years ago it was going on!

Yes again; if a counterfeiter wanted to re-create a LP then a CNC machine would do (the majority of) the trick. So why don't they?........:-k

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I gave up listing all the 'mistakes' for two reasons;

Firstly it became a bit of a bore re-writing the same list of errors for every fake that was posted - and there were a lot more being posted seven or eight years ago than nowadays.

Gibson themselves writing a text explaining what to look for was a relief. We could re-direct posters to stuff "from the horse's mouth" as it were. An Official Version rather than mere opinion.

Secondly we always pointed out that the fakes only ever had a 3-screw TRC. It was the first thing anyone looking could see.

But then the 3-screw TRC disappeared from the fakes in a remarkably short space of time.

Now, I'm not going to pretend that I think the counterfeiters spend their time reading the posts in the Gibson Lounge........

P.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet they keep getting it wrong........but some of the ''expensive'' fakes come a lot closer than Gibsons first efforts.....

Took Gibson years to make an acceptable (to the purists) '59 reissue.

3AhhG9m.jpg

So much fuss over this issue of posting info on fakes. I don't see the need to not post or hide this information as Gibson seems to take the tack of education - telling and showing people ways to spot fakes, like on this page: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/CounterfeitGibsons.aspx . which has been up since 2007, but still valid.

You can report a webpage with fake Gibson guitar/s to Gibson here: http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Report-Counterfeits.aspx

You can also report incidents - file a police report, and/or visit http://www.ic3.gov/.

Guest Farnsbarns

My thinking is.. if the counterfeiters wanted to copy a guitar, they buy one measure it and program their CNC machines

That's exactly what they do, then they cut some corners to make it cheaper to build, then they need to know which of those are known to the guitar playing community. Then they sell their conterfiet to someone who then needs to know what angles they can photograph it from to make it look genuine. You're over simifying it IMHO. Bottom line, you do as you see fit. I'll keep doing as I see fit.

If we all do that rather than start a mud flinging contest we'll all be good. (Not Not hat you did, of course but some people did)

Funny how only the people disagreeing with my stance (and those with a similar stance) feel the need to be offensive when the rest of us just calmly explain our positions. There certainly seems to be a connection between those who don't see what I consider to be the bigger picture and those that seem to feel the need to lash out. I wonder what it could be.

Archived